Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying a new powermac, DP 2.3 vs. DP 2.5

Buying a new powermac, DP 2.3 vs. DP 2.5
davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 01:15 PM

I am trying to decide which on of these to get... MacMall has them both and they are only $5USD different in price.

pros:
16X DL Superdrive
250GB HD

cons:
slower cpus

pros:
faster cpus
faster videocard
geek cred associated with liquid-cooling systems

cons:
8X non DL Superdrive
160GB HD
Possibly less relible/louder due to liquid cooling system.

Obviously, I could add larger HDs and a 16X superdrive to the 2.5, I'm mainly worried about the cooling system in the 2.5, what does everybody else think?
( Last edited by davidflas; Aug 11, 2005 at 01:00 PM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 02:47 PM

i'd say go for the dual 2.3. the speed difference is less than 10% and for the same price you get the mentioned goodies. also, the 2.5 uses the liquid cooling which imho is just another add-on that can break and which will be expensive to replace.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

G5man
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2005, 04:24 PM

well the 2.5 dual is cooler because of the liquid cooling system although Rev C I hear dual 2's have had problems but what about 2.3's?

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by G5man
well the 2.5 dual is cooler because of the liquid cooling system although Rev C I hear dual 2's have had problems but what about 2.3's?

I just like the idea of the liquid cooling system, must be the geek in me. I've heard that it makes the G5 louder though, and maybe less reliable.... So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know that the two machines are very close in performance, but 2.5 just seems faster to me because its a nice round number. I will use this machine mostly for photoshop and listening to music via iTunes. So I'm sure the 2.3 will be fine speedwise... but the 2.5 has some intangible charm for me...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

G5man
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2005, 04:52 PM

well the G5 with liquid cool stays cooler than the G5's without

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by G5man
well the G5 with liquid cool stays cooler than the G5's without
True, plus I think the 2.5 has a faster standard video card, I belive its a 9600XT while the 2.3 has a regular 9600. Either system will be a big upgrade from what I'm using now..(see my sig)

G5man
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2005, 05:19 PM

sure would

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2005, 02:03 AM

to me it seems highly unlikely that a 2.5 with the liquid cooling runs cooler than a 2.3. heat increases exponentially with clockrate and although I don't have the exact temperatures (probably been posted here somewhere) that 2.5 produces an incredible amount of heat. the 2.3 is the fastest one that can be cooled with just air, which is also why there is no faster chip in the xserve.

of course the liquid cooling has a very high geek-factor, and to me it is a perfectly legit reason to get one. i just think that if IBM and Apple could have prevented using it, they would never have put it into the Mac. it's just again something that can break.

ah, you'll be happy either way

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 09:23 AM

My dual 2.5 is louder most of the time than my original rev A dual 2.0 was. Haven't had an opportunity to listen to a dual 2.3 in a quiet environment to see if they make any significant noise.

Oh, if you get a dual 2.5 and it comes with a Pioneer DVR-117A SuperDrive, it can be flashed to a 16x dual layer DVR-108... (use search to find the relevant threads). The main difference between a DVR-108 and the DVR-109 used in current-model G5s is the addition of 8x DVDRW writing (vs. 4x on the 108).

The 2.5's do come with a slightly faster stock video card (though neither are 30-inch capable). The 2.5's card also has an ADC connector; the 2.3's does not (two plain DVI ports). So, if you've got an ADC monitor, the 2.5 would save you the $99 price of a DVI/USB-to-ADC adapter box.


davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
My dual 2.5 is louder most of the time than my original rev A dual 2.0 was. Haven't had an opportunity to listen to a dual 2.3 in a quiet environment to see if they make any significant noise.

Oh, if you get a dual 2.5 and it comes with a Pioneer DVR-117A SuperDrive, it can be flashed to a 16x dual layer DVR-108... (use search to find the relevant threads). The main difference between a DVR-108 and the DVR-109 used in current-model G5s is the addition of 8x DVDRW writing (vs. 4x on the 108).

The 2.5's do come with a slightly faster stock video card (though neither are 30-inch capable). The 2.5's card also has an ADC connector; the 2.3's does not (two plain DVI ports). So, if you've got an ADC monitor, the 2.5 would save you the $99 price of a DVI/USB-to-ADC adapter box.

Thanks for all the info.. I plan to use it with a Dell 2005FPW display, so I won't need the ADC connector, I will most likely never go to two displays so it shouldn't be an issue.. I am seriously leaning towards the 2.5 right now..

Markarian421
Aug 9, 2005, 02:26 AM

I can't bring myself to trust liquid cooling, especially liquid cooling made by a company I associate with cheap OEM auto radios. Just one more thing to go wrong. Honestly, I just got a 2.3 instead of a 2.7 because of that, I had the money for a 2.7, but liquid cooling just seems insane to me. But probably I'm the one that's insane. My car is liquid cooled and probably has several parts made by that same company.
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 9, 2005, 02:28 AM

Get the Dual 2.3 / up the Ram / up the Video Card.. (Put your money where it will impact you best performance-wise)

What is so hard?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 03:15 AM

Because for the same price you get a machine that's 200mhz faster, has a faster video card, and ADC capability (if you want it)!

The DVR-109 can be had for like $50 at newegg. That's a damn cheap part to pick a preference over!
Aloha

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 04:03 AM

but that 200MHz will probably be a negligible difference in real life, except when doing SETI or extensive DVD authoring. his main apps (PS, itunes) will run great on both...

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 9, 2005, 04:04 AM

That was my point exactly. Put your coin where it can be used best... upgrade software?...

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2005, 06:02 AM

Come now! 200mhz is 200mhz buddy, even then, you're gettting a 8% speed boost! PLUS upgrading the CPU is MUCH harder (and more expenisve) than tossing more RAM in the machine.

That said, You still have a better graphics card in the 2.5, plus (if I'm right) the machines cost the same anyway (and have the same amount of ram) -- so I don't get it, what's the big deal? Hard drives are pretty cheap ($100 will get you 250gigs IN ADDITION to the 160 that comes with the machine), and that superdrive is a quick swap for a faster one if you need it

So yeah, I guess I'm not that worried about it myself. If I were doing this I'd grab the 2.5, even with the watercooling rig. You'll always have the option to get the 3 year warranty if you're really concerned about the cooling system.

Hrm, looks like the DP2.3 costs a bit less than the DP2.5. In that case, just weigh it out If the DP2.5 costs more than 8%, more, forget it

Err.. wait.. you're buying through retail not apple edu.. at $5 I'd definitely grab the DP2.5, good luck either way
Aloha

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 06:43 AM

About the edu prices..... I am a full-time college student so I'm eligible for them. However, I find that edu makes no sense unless I was planning to buy a bto machine. I say this because where I live, the edu price + sales tax charged by Apple > the retail price from MacMall, etc.... + shipping. Of course if Macmall, etc.. charged sales tax the situation would be different.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 07:28 AM

200MHz is 200MHZ agreed. But you will only notice the 8% improvement when your application is CPU bound, which it usually isn't for 'normal' Photoshop and iTunes work...

On the MacMall site I cannot determine if the DP2.5 is a refurbished model or new.... if it's a new one I might be tempted to go that route (if it were my decision to make)...

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by mousehouse
200MHz is 200MHZ agreed. But you will only notice the 8% improvement when your application is CPU bound, which it usually isn't for 'normal' Photoshop and iTunes work...

On the MacMall site I cannot determine if the DP2.5 is a refurbished model or new.... if it's a new one I might be tempted to go that route (if it were my decision to make)...
The 2.5 on the MacMall site is a brand new unit that is leftover from when the 2.7s showed up. Yes, I know that I will only see an 8% improvement in speed over the 2.3, I guess for me I comes down the the geek factor of liquid cooling and the fact that 2.5 just seems much faster. Its much the same as they way vendors sell a product for $999 vs $1000, small difference it just seems like a lot. If MacMall still has some 2.5s left when I get my money ready, I'll probably buy a 2.5 and upgrade the superdrive later.....

doublep
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 07:50 AM

I have a DP 2.3 Ghz with 4 Go RAM and 2x250 Go of disk drives. I am very happy with it and am constantly surprised at how silent it actually is. In use, I actually hear it less than my 12" Powerbook! (Granted, the PB is ON the desk, while the PM is UNDER the desk).

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 07:50 AM

new, [insert Homer sounds] hmmmmmm nice!

after giving it some more thought i'd still go for the DP2.3. for me personally it gets the job done and i just love to get a machine delivered that's just right (with the BTO video, Bluetooth/Airport and modem) and doesn't have any components that can break or are complex and expensive to replace (grapejuice cooling).

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by mousehouse
new, [insert Homer sounds] hmmmmmm nice!

after giving it some more thought i'd still go for the DP2.3. for me personally it gets the job done and i just love to get a machine delivered that's just right (with the BTO video, Bluetooth/Airport and modem) and doesn't have any components that can break or are complex and expensive to replace (grapejuice cooling).

Looks like we're going to order our G5s at about the same time, Mousehouse I had to cheap out and buy the Dell 20.1 monitor though.... I can't wait to get it, iPhoto5 takes sooooooooo long to open on my current machine..

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas
Looks like we're going to order our G5s at about the same time, Mousehouse I had to cheap out and buy the Dell 20.1 monitor though.... I can't wait to get it, iPhoto5 takes sooooooooo long to open on my current machine..
hahaha, iPhoto performance is terrible on my machine - although it improved considerably when I upgraded to 1GB RAM about three weeks ago. Opening Dashboard is slower than opening safari and doing a google search.

I've been wanting to get a G5 for as long as they've been out. Here in Europe the price difference between the Dell 20" and Apple's ACD is not that big which makes me go the Apple way for the nice optical integration. Haven't found a reliable store that still carries the DP2.5, the DP2.3 will do fine for me.

Good luck on your purchase but I'm sure you'll enjoy every second of it considering your current machine

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 05:38 PM

Speaking as a person who ran into the same dilemma you did, I ended up getting a
dual 2.5. I considered a dual 2.7 but they sold me my dual 2.5 for the same price as
a dual 2.3 and they added three years of Applecare (which negates any concerns with
regards to the liquid cooling system) for free to boot. It was a no brainer at that point.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Speaking as a person who ran into the same dilemma you did, I ended up getting a
dual 2.5. I considered a dual 2.7 but they sold me my dual 2.5 for the same price as
a dual 2.3 and they added three years of Applecare (which negates any concerns with
regards to the liquid cooling system) for free to boot. It was a no brainer at that point.

Where did you buy your 2.5?

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 11:39 AM

I just like the idea of the liquid cooling system, must be the geek in me. I've heard that it makes the G5 louder though, and maybe less reliable.... So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know that the two machines are very close in performance, but 2.5 just seems faster to me because its a nice round number. I will use this machine mostly for photoshop and listening to music via iTunes. So I'm sure the 2.3 will be fine speedwise... but the 2.5 has some intangible charm for me...
I'd get the 2.5. Then you can say you have a liquid-cooled computer. The Superdrive and HD are non-issues, and could be upgraded later! But don't you get excited thinking about liquid cooling?

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 11:41 AM

About the edu prices..... I am a full-time college student so I'm eligible for them. However, I find that edu makes no sense unless I was planning to buy a bto machine. I say this because where I live, the edu price + sales tax charged by Apple > the retail price from MacMall, etc.... + shipping. Of course if Macmall, etc.. charged sales tax the situation would be different.
Better deal on Apple Care... plus you get the free iPod Mini right now.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 01:47 PM

I bought my machine from a Micro Center in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. Don't know if they
have any more dual 2.5s, they're starting to get a little on the scarce side.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by elvis2000
I'd get the 2.5. Then you can say you have a liquid-cooled computer. The Superdrive and HD are non-issues, and could be upgraded later! But don't you get excited thinking about liquid cooling?

Yes, liquid cooling is very exciting!!! If I do get Applecare, It'll have to be down the road a bit as I'm maxing my finances just to get the Powermac. I plan to up the RAM, ASAP, then the superdrive and video card sometime down the road. I'm sure that the the stock video cards in either the 2.3 or the 2.5 will hold me for a while, I don't game much.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 05:03 PM

I got the 2.5 and 23" ACD as refurbed. Saved enough to pick up the Applecare and get some more RAM.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 05:18 PM

And? Your impressions?

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
I got the 2.5 and 23" ACD as refurbed. Saved enough to pick up the Applecare and get some more RAM.

J.

Not that much of a difference for me. A refurb 2.5 from Apple costs $2488.66 when tax is added to the price, while I can get a new 2.5 from MacMall for a total cost of 2499.00. Of course with refurbs there's always the chance that the specs will be better than advertised... But I really like fresh out of the box computers whenever possible...

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 12:29 PM

Todd - not sure if you were asking me, but I'll answer. :-)

I love it! I especially love when I have people over at the house and show them the unit (sits on my desk) and the display. They don't want to leave. And wives hate me. Because now the men want to upgrade/buy a computer like mine. :-)

I've always liked to dabble in graphics work, though I don't do it for a living. What a pleasure it is to work on my new Mac in Photoshop, Lightwave, Illustrator, etc. Thinking back on all the computers and platforms I've used/owned I think OS X has given me the best user experience.

Hi, my name is J and I'm a switcher.
{audience} Hi J!

My only issue right now is that I don't have the funds to switch out of my home server (to a Mac Mini) and my laptop (to a Powerbook).

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 01:15 PM

I have similar reactions....in one way different though - the wives want one too. Heh.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2005, 06:53 PM

My vote is for the 2.5. You need all the power you can get.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 07:09 PM

If you're going to buy Applecare before the end of the first year of ownership then I don't see that you have a lot to lose in getting the 2.5DP at those prices. I've had mine almost a year and I'm really pleased with the way it doesn't make a fuss through these warm summer days... it keeps itself whisper quiet most of the time

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2005, 02:11 AM

Go with the Dual 2.5... and just be happy

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 07:03 AM

agreed, unless the difference in noiselevel between de DP2.3 and DP2.5 is comparable to the difference in noiselevel between a Segway and an F18 fighter jet...
( Last edited by mousehouse; Aug 15, 2005 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo's)

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 09:54 AM

I think that I've settled on the 2.5, thanks for your feedback I just need to wait for my next paycheck, and the G5 will be on its way to me.. I'll post some pics in this thread when I get it ...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 04:36 PM

Speaking of which, I also need to take some shots of mine. I've had it over a month
now. I guess it's a permanent install.

You'll enjoy it, the speed is great and you'll notice it in all kinds of places. The fact that
it is expandable also helps.

webmonkie
Aug 24, 2005, 01:56 PM

I had the same dilemma 2 months ago. I went for the 2.5 DP because of the better video card and the CPU. In the long run that 10% will make a difference when the machine is 2 years old. Plus I upgraded the ram to 4.5gigs.

I'm very happy with the machine.

John O'Shaughnessy
Sep 7, 2005, 09:35 PM

I think that I've settled on the 2.5, thanks for your feedback I just need to wait for my next paycheck, and the G5 will be on its way to me.. I'll post some pics in this thread when I get it ...
Did you order yet?

I'm chewing on a similar decision.

I think there is a good chance I'll get a second monitor. If I go with the 2.5, I understand I can use a $30.00 cable to connect from the ADC Connector to a DVI monitor, such as the Dell 20.1 wide display. Is that your understanding? So I could then drive two of them, correct?

Since I need a modem (yes, quaint, I know, but I do sent 10-15 faxes a year), that is another plus in favor of the 2.5 since the modem has gone optional in the latest round.

John
--
John O'Shaughnessy

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 11:23 AM

Puzzled. The 9600 XT that was installed in my G5 when I bought it had two DVI connectors already
on it, so two DVI monitors could be utilized. The machine also came with a DVI to VGA adapter as
well. I suppose I should try the two monitor thing someday.

And yes, the 2.5 does have a modem though I've never needed it.

John O'Shaughnessy
Sep 9, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Puzzled. The 9600 XT that was installed in my G5 when I bought it had two DVI connectors already
on it, so two DVI monitors could be utilized. The machine also came with a DVI to VGA adapter as
well. I suppose I should try the two monitor thing someday.

And yes, the 2.5 does have a modem though I've never needed it.
Odd -- are you sure it's two DVI ports? Could they have swapped video vards on you with a standard 9600?

While I intend to get a new DVI monitor, one of the reasons I'm considering the Dual 2.5 is that I have a wonderful 17" Apple Studio Display with the ADC connector. It'll hold me until I purchase a new display, if I get the Mac first.

John
--
John O'Shaughnessy

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by John O'Shaughnessy
Did you order yet?

I'm chewing on a similar decision.

I think there is a good chance I'll get a second monitor. If I go with the 2.5, I understand I can use a $30.00 cable to connect from the ADC Connector to a DVI monitor, such as the Dell 20.1 wide display. Is that your understanding? So I could then drive two of them, correct?

Since I need a modem (yes, quaint, I know, but I do sent 10-15 faxes a year), that is another plus in favor of the 2.5 since the modem has gone optional in the latest round.

John
I did in fact order my 2.5 and it arrived via UPS at 8pm last night! I forgot to order an airport extreme card, so I couldn't go online.....until now I have installed the RAM, Pioneer 109, and airport card and am very happy!!!! I'll post some photos later tonight..... My 9600XT has one DVI and one ADC port, with a dvi to vga converter included. I bought my 2.5 from MacMall, and will end up paying $2349.00USD with free shipping after rebate. Today I noticed they've sweetened the deal so now the final price for the G5 will be $2299.00. Seems like a great deal to me!

PS after 5 years I'm finally addicted to macnn

Photos as promised:

fans out to install RAM, Pioneer Superdrive, and airport card:

quick shot showing desk and Dell LCD no time to pretty it up for the shot as I"m moving to a new house in 2 weeks:

( Last edited by davidflas; Sep 9, 2005 at 04:54 PM. )

osxisfun
Sep 9, 2005, 03:21 PM

John O'Shaughnessy
Sep 9, 2005, 04:03 PM

Very Cool!

Did you also get the "free" 1 GB RAM with installation fee? If so, how much additional time did that tack on to your order? If you go through the Cart process it suggests you phone to check on time.

Thanks,

John
--
John O'Shaughnessy

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2005, 04:08 PM

Congratulations! Enjoy your new Mac

Also remember that if you feel the urge to have two DVI displays connected, you can just use the $29 ADC->DVI connector (my G5 has a 9600XT with ADC+DVI also)

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by John O'Shaughnessy
Very Cool!

Did you also get the "free" 1 GB RAM with installation fee? If so, how much additional time did that tack on to your order? If you go through the Cart process it suggests you phone to check on time.

Thanks,

John

I didn't get the "free" RAM as I feel that its too low density for my needs. I bought two 1GB modules from Datamem and they work great!
( Last edited by davidflas; Sep 9, 2005 at 05:47 PM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 05:09 PM

Upon looking: yeah, one is a DVI port, the other is another funky looking digital style port so it must be
an ADC port I suspect then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules