Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Problems with Macally PHR-100AC

Problems with Macally PHR-100AC
Flumpus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 07:38 PM

I've had all kinds of problems with this enclosure, and I've come to the conclusion that I must be doing something wrong. It's a firewire 400/USB 2 enclosure, and the USB side of things works fine. When I plug it into firewire on my iMac (rev b g5) or my Powerbook (Al 1ghz) I get errors. Sometimes I/O errors, sometimes other things, all when I'm trying to format it. If I format it via the USB cable, then plug it in via firewire, it'll mount, but I can't copy anything to it. I get errors. There's a firewire updater on Macally's page, but I can't seem to get it to work. Do I need to do that? When I run it and it does recognize the firewire enclosure, it reports that it's got version 4.65 firmware, and I think the new on is 4.7. Do I just need to get that to work and I'll be ok? Any help yall can give me is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
( Last edited by Flumpus; Sep 11, 2005 at 08:33 PM. )

osxisfun
Sep 11, 2005, 07:47 PM

OMG i just bought a PHR100AF too.

and put a new segate 250 gig 7200 ide drive in it and it worked for a day but now will only try and spin up and I can't get it to mount. If i listen closely it seems (the HD) spin a little bit then it stops and repeats.

I am going to try and put the HD in my g4 later today to see if its the drive or the mac ally enclosure

I did make 3 partitions in case that matters

Flumpus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 09:58 PM

I should mention that at first I thought this was a bad enclosure, so I had Newegg send me a new one, and it didn't help.

osxisfun
Sep 12, 2005, 02:02 AM

how big is your drive?

osxisfun
Sep 12, 2005, 11:03 AM

I stuck a 60 gig in and it ran fine.

I then tried it again with my 250 gig and if i place it at the right angle and leave it uncovered. it works.

I think its a case of the firewire enclosure not drawing enough power to start up the 250 so I am returning it and buying a 160 gig.

Flumpus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 02:52 PM

Well, my 160GB drive I originally got for it is bad, so I'm waiting for a replacement. The drive I'm trying to get working right now is a 20GB. It works with USB, but not Firewire. As far as I know my firewire ports on each of my computers are fine, and the enclosure is the second one I've had (after thinking initially it was a problem with the firewire port on the enclosure). I e-mailed Macally's support, but haven't heard back from them yet. Anyone have any ideas?

MightyYar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2005, 10:57 AM

This is a known problem. What I had to do as a work-around was daisy-chain my enclosure into an old external CD burner that I had lying around. Apparently this has worked for others. When I last called tech support in June(!) they told me that they were working on a new bridge card revision that would provide a permanent fix, and that they would send me one - but I haven't actually called back yet to have it sent.

badger1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 09:02 AM

Have any of these problems been alleviated by the latest firmware update?

http://www.macally.com/techsupport/drivers.html

Flumpus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 11:25 PM

Nope, unfortunately not. I wish they'd release some sort of update. It's nice that it works via USB, but I got it for the firewire.

Forum Links
Forum Rules