Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook won't let me log in

Macbook won't let me log in
blueleaf
Jun 19, 2007, 01:37 PM

Hi,

My macbook was acting up a little bit, nothing serious, but I turned it off anyways. When I turned it back on again, I was unable to sign in to my account. When I type in my password, the login window goes away, but the generic apple background remains for about 15 seconds, then it flashes just plain blue and then back to the login window again. If I try my password again, the window goes away the same as last time, but after only 2 seconds it will go back to the window. I know for a fact that I am typing the right password.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can solve it?

Thanks

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 03:02 PM

Try starting your Mac in Safe Mode and see if that helps?

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

blueleaf  (op)
Jun 19, 2007, 08:49 PM

Nope, tried that and it doesn't work, it still doesn't let me get past the login screen.

I forgot to add, I'm not hearing any chime when it boots up...

Please, any help would be very much appreciated

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 10:48 PM

If your Mac is booting all the way to the login window, then the sound is likely muted.
Have you tried resetting your PRAM? To reset the PRAM (Parameter RAM) reboot the Mac and hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys simultaneously for two boot chime cycles.

See if you can login now. Try safe mode again by holding down the shift key during a reboot.

If neither work, is there another user account setup you could log into? The home folder could be damaged. Worst case scenario, you'll have to do an archive and install or hook your MacBook via Firewire cable in Target drive mode (holding down T key while booting) to another Mac to get your files off for OS re-installation.

I'd need more information about the original hard shut down to make an accurate diagnosis...
Good luck!

blueleaf  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 11:49 AM

OK, I reset the PRAM and now I can hear the chime, but it still wouldn't log me in...

I tried it again and now It wont even get past the spinning cog wheel...It just stays on that screen and then eventually just goes blue...

One other problem...I can't seem to find the Mac OSX install disk...I know I'm an idiot...Can I replace it thought? If so how, and where?

Thanks again for any help...

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2007, 03:59 PM

If it's stuck between the Apple logo and spinning gear and the initial blue screen, that means that the OS is having difficulty in Kernel passing off to Launchd (Launch Daemon).

Try booting in Verbose mode (booting holding down Command + V) to figure out where the problem is exactly. Instead of seeing the pretty Apple and spinning gear, it will display the commands that are being processed during the boot cycle. Nifty tool for figuring out exactly where the problem is.

Unfortunatly if you misplaced your original OS install discs, you'll have to call up AppleCare to get a new set for a fee. The retail OS X Tiger disc is PowerPC only and will not work with Intel Macs.

Where you're describing the problem being, it sounds like an archive and install or a target-drive backup and clean install is your best option. If you have AppleCare Coverage, or you're within your complmentary 90 days since your purchase, give AppleCare a call and they can walk you through to a fix and replace your disc set if you've truely lost it.

blueleaf  (op)
Jun 21, 2007, 05:05 PM

OK, I will try that...

I must say, I'm not impressed with Apple at all. I got my macbook late november last year and this is already the second major problem I've had, causing me to be without a computer. And I called Apple the other day and they said I have to pay 60 just to talk to them! Im sorry but that is ridiculous. And applecare is 300 for 3 years which is similarly ridiculous. I will probabaly end up taking it to an apple store so they can solve it, because i dont have a computer or hard drive or anything to archive my files...

Apple sucks...

sorry...

blueleaf  (op)
Jun 23, 2007, 01:21 PM

Ok, I found my install disk, archived and installed...now everything is working perfectly again...I'm sorry for saying Apple sucks...I was just upset..

Sorry Steve! I love you!

Forum Links
Forum Rules