Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apollo 14 astronaut claims aliens HAVE made contact

Apollo 14 astronaut claims aliens HAVE made contact
moep
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 02:22 PM

Oh yes, it's that time again!

Aliens have contacted humans several times but governments have hidden the truth for 60 years, the sixth man to walk on the moon has claimed.

Apollo 14 astronaut Dr Edgar Mitchell, said he was aware of many UFO visits to Earth during his career with NASA but each one was covered up.

Dr Mitchell, 77, said during a radio interview that sources at the space agency who had had contact with aliens described the beings as 'little people who look strange to us.'
[...]
'This is really starting to open up. I think we're headed for real disclosure and some serious organisations are moving in that direction.'
Daily Mail

the full audio interview is here:

news.com.au
( Last edited by moep; Jul 27, 2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added interview)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 02:26 PM

Cool hope it is true.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 02:31 PM

almost all apollo astronauts went crazy, it's what happens after you've reached the summit of your life.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 02:59 PM

Just how does a reporter manage to tell this sort of story with a straight face?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 03:04 PM

From his Wikipedia article:

Mitchell's interests include consciousness and paranormal phenomena. During the Apollo 14 flight he conducted private ESP experiments with his friends on Earth. [3] In early 1973, he founded the nonprofit Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) to conduct and sponsor research into areas that mainstream science has ignored, including consciousness research and psychic events.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Just how does a reporter manage to tell this sort of story with a straight face?
He isn't on TV.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 03:21 PM

By "straight face," I meant "without editorializing."

The temptation to imply that the guy is a nut, or that NASA is hiding big things from us is great when someone says something like this.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 03:22 PM

I swear this story made the news circuit a couple years ago.

moep  (op)
Senior User
Jul 23, 2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
From his Wikipedia article:
That article is of course a set-up and the military/govt is behind it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I swear this story made the news circuit a couple years ago.
Ya I remember the same thing.

climber
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 08:15 PM

I heard through a reliable source that the movie Close Encounters was in fact a documentary. Absolutely no special effects were used in the filming, and the actors were not "acting". In fact Richard Dreyfuss is currently in another Galaxy. The person left behind is of course a robot.

Before you scoff, I challenge anyone to "prove" this theory wrong! Oh by the way ET is also real.
climber

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 03:17 AM

Lol, humans.

Guy Stone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2008, 03:24 AM

I vote he's gone looney tunes.

Apemanblues
Jul 24, 2008, 03:28 AM

Surely 'Ex-Astronaut is a little bit nuts' would have been a much better headline.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Oh by the way ET is also real.

"Phone home!"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 06:51 AM

Going to the moon made him a little looney. (Get it?)

If the gov't is working with the aliens, then why are they interfering with our nukes? Both can't be true!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2008, 07:43 AM

Not all aliens are the same, Eriamjh.

There are good aliens, and there are evil aliens. The good aliens are secretly working with the governments of Earth to make the planet a better place; the evil aliens are hijacking our nuclear weapons in an attempt to destroy us all.

Why is this difficult to understand?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2008, 08:37 AM

its the daily mail.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
its the daily mail.
Which accounts for like 90% of the ridiculous stories we post in here.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2008, 10:43 AM

The good aliens are secretly working with the governments of Earth to make the planet a better place; the evil aliens are hijacking our nuclear weapons in an attempt to destroy us all.
Hmmm. Seems to me that the "evil" aliens are hijacking our nuclear weapons to make the planet a better place.

But I don't don't presume to really know their intentions.

And where the hell is horsepoo?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

moep  (op)
Senior User
Jul 24, 2008, 11:28 AM

abducted, duh.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2008, 12:10 PM

Must've been all that radiation his brain sucked up between here and the Moon...

Oh wait, they never actually went.

So much for that theory.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 07:05 AM

Not all aliens are the same, Eriamjh.

There are good aliens, and there are evil aliens. The good aliens are secretly working with the governments of Earth to make the planet a better place; the evil aliens are hijacking our nuclear weapons in an attempt to destroy us all.

Why is this difficult to understand?
Oh! I don't know which aliens to welcome as our new overlords!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Hmmm. Seems to me that the "evil" aliens are hijacking our nuclear weapons to make the planet a better place.

But I don't don't presume to really know their intentions.

And where the hell is horsepoo?
I'm watching this thread closely. Rest assured.

My opinion, (like yours), is that the benevolent aliens are disarming nukes like a good parent would so that we don't blow ourselves up to smithereens.

ETs have had an increased interest in this planet when the first two A-bombs were dropped on Japan. Since then, not a single A-bomb was dropped. It was assumed that everyone became smart and decided to never drop another A-bomb ever again. But I'm not so sure. Nuke disarming by UFOs is not a localized event. They have been disarming nukes all over the globe.

IMO, they are making sure we never use another nuke again.

There are a couple videos of test warheads being inspected and disabled by alien crafts.

I don't have a particular opinion on malevolent ETs at this point in time...they may or may not be interfering with our planet. I would assume that the benevolent ETs would be trying their best to keep these guys from doing any harm to our planet.

Anyway...this all sounds crazy to most people, like something out of a science fiction book.

It's funny though how people automatically dismiss credible professionals as "crazies" or "looneys" as soon as they start talking about ETs. Aldrin and Mitchell have been talking about it for years and some people are saying these guys are crazy or losing their marbles to somehow reassure themselves that there is nothing out there that could possibly be more advanced than we are.

Anyway...Mitchell has been talking about this for a while. So everyone that has mentioned that this is old news is right. However, there is some kind of disclosure going on. Larry King has done three shows on UFOs in the past month and a lot more people feel more comfortable talking about it. Then there are the inevitable charlatans that will try to ride the wave by telling their story...but out of the pool of stories, it'll be fairly easy to pick out what's real and what's not. And those that make a good job of making their fake stories sound real will only serve the disclosure movement.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Jul 25, 2008 at 08:16 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
My opinion, (like yours)
SARCASM FAIL.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
SARCASM FAIL.

Right back at you...why would design219 put the word evil in quotes if his intents weren't to show that they're not really evil but rather good.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2008, 08:22 AM

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Anyway...looks like the usual thread-crapping has begun.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 10:46 AM

this thread is totally lacking in sensitivity toward our extraterrestrial brothers.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 11:08 AM

i thought this was a zombie thread for a second.
one post closer to five stars

Tiresias
Jul 25, 2008, 12:54 PM

Larry King has done three shows on UFOs in the past month and a lot more people feel more comfortable talking about it.
This proves nothing.

I saw a few of those shows. Most of the guests were True Believers comfortable bolstering each other's beliefs. Skeptics were, as a rule, under-represented. On one of the shows I saw, a solitary, quietly-spoken skeptic was virtually howled down by a whole panel of raving ufologists.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 01:35 PM

his thread is totally lacking in sensitivity toward uf-ologists.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
This proves nothing.

I saw a few of those shows. Most of the guests were True Believers comfortable bolstering each other's beliefs. Skeptics were, as a rule, under-represented. On one of the shows I saw, a solitary, quietly-spoken skeptic was virtually howled down by a whole panel of raving ufologists.
I didn't say it proved anything just saying there are more people that are getting international TV time.

...also the reverse could be said, on one particular Larry King Live, you had a skeptical Bill Nye (the Science Guy) howling at the top of his lungs and disallowing the others to talk (until he was told to shut up and listen).

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 03:04 PM

I think it's virtually impossible to have a rational discussion about aliens. It's no different than religion. People believe what they want to believe.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I think it's virtually impossible to have a rational discussion about aliens. It's no different than religion. People believe what they want to believe.
Sure, if aliens were some kind of immaterial entity like 'god'. Just because many of us haven't seen them doesn't mean they're make-belief. I've never met or even seen a Greenlander in my life...does this mean they don't exist?

I'm sure there are pictures of them out there, but why should I trust the pictures...they could be hoaxes, right? People that talk about Greenlanders must be on the verge of mental breakdowns, right?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 03:38 PM

I'm sure there are pictures of them out there, but why should I trust the pictures...they could be hoaxes, right? People that talk about Greenlanders must be on the verge of mental breakdowns, right?
Oh come on now.... don't be an ass. If you want to see a Greenlander, fly to Greenland. If you want to see an alien..... well... not sure about that.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 03:39 PM

That's some faulty logic, right there, that is.^ No not, that one. The one above it. With the ethereal Greenlanders.

"...anyway, I don't believe it."
"What?"
"England."
"Oh. Just a conspiracy of cartographers, is it?"

Lava Lamp Freak
Jul 25, 2008, 03:42 PM

Sure, if aliens were some kind of immaterial entity like 'god'. Just because many of us haven't seen them doesn't mean they're make-belief. I've never met or even seen a Greenlander in my life...does this mean they don't exist?

I've never been to Australia, but I'm pretty sure it does exist. I don't have to take Erik's word for it, though. With reasonable certainty, I believe if I board a plane when I get off I will be in the magical land of Australia. The same logic can not be applied to god or aliens.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by maxelson View Post
That's some faulty logic, right there, that is.^ No not, that one. The one above it. With the ethereal Greenlanders.
Yeah...it *IS* faulty logic and everyone's using that faulty logic.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 03:44 PM

God made aliens. There's no way they could have evolved into their alien-ness.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I've never been to Australia, but I'm pretty sure it does exist. I don't have to take Erik's word for it, though. With reasonable certainty, I believe if I board a plane when I get off I will be in the magical land of Australia. The same logic can not be applied to god or aliens.
Yes...you believe...but you can't be sure until you've set foot on Australian soil, right? Otherwise, you'd be ready to believe some things but dismiss other things.

Why could the same logic not be applied to aliens? If you boarded a spacecraft or shuttle and parked your ass in the magical land of outer space, you may find out that space isn't as empty as you might think. But of course, the skeptic in you would say "I can't be sure that I'd meet an alien out there"...if you're so skeptical, how can you believe you'll land in Australia? Since you've never been, for all you know it may be just some very large hoax.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 03:47 PM

Yeah...it *IS* faulty logic and everyone's using that faulty logic.
Nah. Empirical evidence can be obtained proving the existence of Greenlanders. Or that people live in Greenland since the idea of "Greenlanders" is pretty much a societal construct. Same for Australia and Australians.
THis is an odd conversation.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 03:49 PM

Nah. Empirical evidence can be obtained proving the existence of Greenlanders. Or that people live in Greenland since the idea of "Greenlanders" is pretty much a societal construct. Same for Australia and Australians.
THis is an odd conversation.
Show me the evidence. (Let this be an exercise. I want people to understand what 'evidence' is.)

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 03:55 PM

EMPIRICAL evidence. Lets not confuse this with philosophical evidence. According to a solipsist, mine is the only existence I can prove. For all I know, I made you up- philosophically speaking.
As for Empirical evidence, well, what will constitute that for you? We have historical basis for making such an assertion. We have evidence of current population (Greenalders), land mass (Greenland). We can prove the existence of the land and people in a NON philosophical manner.

Lets not confuse the two.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 04:05 PM

EMPIRICAL evidence. Lets not confuse this with philosophical evidence. According to a solipsist, mine is the only existence I can prove. For all I know, I made you up- philosophically speaking.
As for Empirical evidence, well, what will constitute that for you? We have historical basis for making such an assertion. We have evidence of current population (Greenalders), land mass (Greenland). We can prove the existence of the land and people in a NON philosophical manner.

Lets not confuse the two.
Historical basis: how do you know its history is true and not some cute story?
Current population: how do you know this number wasn't made up? Are you going to go to Greenland and do head counts?
Land mass: could be a fictional number also.

So here we are, you're putting your faith in a bunch of people that got together and said "we've done our calculations, and this is what we got...so believe it." Right? Right! We're doing fine up to this point...

Now, how many people do you need and what do their credentials have to be for this to become 'empirical evidence'?
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Jul 25, 2008 at 04:12 PM. )

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 04:33 PM

Yes...you believe...but you can't be sure until you've set foot on Australian soil, right? Otherwise, you'd be ready to believe some things but dismiss other things.

Why could the same logic not be applied to aliens? If you boarded a spacecraft or shuttle and parked your ass in the magical land of outer space, you may find out that space isn't as empty as you might think. But of course, the skeptic in you would say "I can't be sure that I'd meet an alien out there"...if you're so skeptical, how can you believe you'll land in Australia? Since you've never been, for all you know it may be just some very large hoax.
Do you honestly believe this is a cogent argument? I'm serious. I might expect this kind of reasoning from a 5-year old child... but come on... try a little harder, will you?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Do you honestly believe this is a cogent argument? I'm serious. I might expect this kind of reasoning from a 5-year old child... but come on... try a little harder, will you?
I'm trying to make you feel comfortable. I have to stoop down to your level of intelligence so you can understand.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2008, 04:36 PM

Let's define. EMPIRICAL
experiential, practical, heuristic, firsthand, hands-on; observed, evidence-based, seen, demonstrable. antonym theoretical.

That takes care of your previous statement.
The rest is semantics- which is what you're practicing here. You are dropping a philosophical argument in where one doesn't belong. And, as we are going round in theoretical circles, I'm taking my theoretical self down the theoretical stairs to chuck some theoretical ribs on the theoretical fire. Theoretically, they will be used to feed my theoretical children. Who are not from Greenland.

I see the interface is the only thing that's changed here.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 25, 2008, 04:42 PM

Let's define. EMPIRICAL
experiential, practical, heuristic, firsthand, hands-on; observed, evidence-based, seen, demonstrable. antonym theoretical.

That takes care of your previous statement.
The rest is semantics- which is what you're practicing here. You are dropping a philosophical argument in where one doesn't belong. And, as we are going round in theoretical circles, I'm taking my theoretical self down the theoretical stairs to chuck some theoretical ribs on the theoretical fire. Theoretically, they will be used to feed my theoretical children. Who are not from Greenland.
Not at all...by your definition, ET do exist because there have been observed, seen, firsthand, reports of ET and crafts. And there have been experiments by them on us as well as by us on them.

But answer my question...how many people must have observed something and what do their credentials have to be for it to become empirical evidence? Go on, answer.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2008, 04:44 PM

Verifiability.

That is all.

Just that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules