Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Refurb MBP Woes

Refurb MBP Woes
salaryman
Oct 13, 2006, 03:28 AM

I checked the forums, people seemed to think that refurb Macs are a great deal because they've been checked over by an Apple Technician. Excellent news.

So I ordered a bargin refurb MBP, 2.16Ghz, 7200rpm HDD with 41% off.

It arrived late yesterday and here's what I found:
  • The screen hinge was loose so it slams shut
  • The backspace key didn't work
  • The lid was warped so there is a noticeable gap on each side of the machine when it's shut
  • When it heats up (which it does quite substantially) the big metal panel surrounding the keyboard and trackpad actually lifts up on the left-hand side. It's fine when it's cool, so it's probably warped like the lid
  • It *whines* when on battery power (but not when on AC)

At 9am this morning I'll be calling Apple After Care and I'll sending it back for a refund. What a f**king palaver. All I want is a functional, non-whining MBP. I don't give a toss about Merom, Santa Rosa or any other future technology - I just want a powerful, portable Intel Mac which doesn't have any problems.

Is this too much to ask? Sort it out Apple!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 07:40 AM

My refurb came with three defects:
Eject Key sticking up on the left side
Case above the open button bowed outwards
Magsafe connector scratched or contaminated with some kind of plastic

No whine though. And no bad pixels. I kept it.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Oct 13, 2006 at 12:56 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 08:30 AM

Funny, that's exactly what I had (minus the plastic magsafe thing), Eriamjh.

My hard drive was messed up when I got it (running very slow). A disk repair solved it, though it should have been caught at the factory. Not sure what's going on. I don't think these things are gone over very thoroughly or at all, even.

I also had (have) several tilted keys, even after a keyboard replacement. I guess the board is warped. I'm not complaining for the price, but it does seem like it should be done right in the first place.

Yeah, send it back salaryman - and don't pay any restocking fee. That's amazing how much is wrong with your system. Don't be put off by getting a refurb, though. They aren't all like that.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 01:07 PM

My 17" 2.16 refurb only has a small bowing of the case above the "open" button. I think this is likely a flaw of the case, not because it is refurbished. Other than that, no problems.

wowway1
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 01:15 PM

so buy mine that I have listed in the Marketplace - it has no problems and is a good deal!

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 01:49 PM

eh, now im kinda worried about getting a sketchy refurb MBP. thanks for all the input guys!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

FWIW, I got an absolutely flawless 2ghz 15.4" MBP Refurb... and before that I had an equally perfect iBook G4 refurb, so happy endings do occur!
The Quintessential Featherhead.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2006, 04:51 PM

One thing about refurbs is that they are covered by the same warranties as new. If you find something unacceptible, exchange it. If you return it, you pay the 10% and then there is no point of buying refurb if you are going pay a penalty.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules