Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > lots of macs!!!

lots of macs!!! (Page 2)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
However, if I turn off my AirPort card, I get over three hours on my MBP's battery
What on earth are you doing with it? Running SETI@home?

I get about 4 hours on my MBP with the AirPort on.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 12:37 PM

It's an older MBP, and I don't let it get really low before I shut it down. I'm kinda conservative about that, I guess.

I also think I need to recalibrate the battery, which could have a lot to do with what the meter says the remaining level is.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 01:58 PM

Ah. Well, you don't really know how long it'll run if you don't actually *let* it run, do you?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Apr 23, 2008, 03:47 PM

When I was in college I didn't use my laptop to take notes in class but I can understand why some people do and actually had some of my classmates use their laptops in classes. I can definitely type faster than I can write and depending on your style of note taking it can be much faster to type out notes. What I always hated about hand written notes was that I couldn't erase so if the teacher had a new point on a previous subject I could easily just hit the "return" key and add to my previous notes. I would have to squeeze all the new information into either the margins or start a new page and make sure to link it back to the old lecture notes. That's not such a big deal but it's much more convenient to have all the information in one place when I had to study the lectures for tests.

I do agree that if your style of note taking has a lot of diagrams or drawings then it would be easier to use hand written notes. I think the picture shows an extreme example of a class with a majority of laptops, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is becoming more common nowadays. Laptops are so common these days especially with the younger generation that this picture might be getting close to the truth. People just adopt new technology very quickly. A few years ago I would have been surprised if you told me that a lot of people have cell phones. Nowadays just about everyone I know has one.

It is unusual to see this many Macs in one place though...

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2008, 05:21 PM

The wifi router in there must be a tank. You know they are on facebook and youtube.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Ah. Well, you don't really know how long it'll run if you don't actually *let* it run, do you?
Point taken. I need to find out when it decides it's done before I actually know how long it'll run.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

osxpinot
Senior User
Apr 25, 2008, 11:15 AM

To the guy that said they are using macs to compensate for other things, you are dead on. Notice how they are almost all Macbook Pros (perhaps powerbooks) and Black Macbooks. Not many white macbooks to be seen.....that's juts too banal.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 25, 2008, 11:52 AM

... On the other hand, every lecture hall in my school has power outlets aplenty-if not very conveniently placed. Our halls have these long, continuous tables with paired, swing out seats, and on the desktop there are little "outlet pods" centered between the paired seats. Now try plugging a MBP power adapter into a little hemisphere sticking up from a shallow table, then putting the MBP on the table so you can type on it. Not graceful, but doable.
At the newer engineering building at my last university they had ethernet jacks and a couple AC outlets at every spot. I could plug the MacBook mini-brick in without a problem. And amazingly enough, I was not the only engineering student with a Mac. About 10-15% used Macs.

Older lecture halls had about 2-3 outlets per 200 students though. Luckily they were being renovated when I left.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 27, 2008, 03:02 AM

Ya notice how someone always tries to pick a fight.

Anywayz...

Why did someone take that picture? That's what I wanna know. I mean if Macs are the ko0l on that campus.

Ko0l picture anyhoo.

That Acer guy now knows what a MacDood feels like.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 03:44 AM

Oh, and there ARE hotties in that one-dental school starts in the summer here, and it does get pretty hot where I am, so the combination of pretty ladies and hot weather makes for attractive photo opportunities.
Two thoughts:

1) I've got to appreciate my hometown more.

2) Maybe it's time to go back to school.

Forum Links
Forum Rules