Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Intense Control on MacNN from Admins

Intense Control on MacNN from Admins (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'd never be so arrogant as to think I could beat you in a battle of idiocy.

It's the current average derived from the answers of 50 random Lounge members when questioned as to how many braincells they think you have. All averages are rounded up to the nearest integer divisible by four.

I think you are a Fantastic Four fan! However, you most definitely are not one of the Fantastic Four, because you are not fantastic. In fact, you suck. Just sayin'.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 8, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I've got no beef with you Glenn. As far as I know you may be the fairest and understanding of the bunch that are on your side of the fence. I know you're most certainly the smartest. (A little ass kissing.)

w** was a hint.

Damn, I feel an infraction coming.
See, I was right. Anyone else would get away with this. I did this as a test.

Today, 08:26 AM

Dear Atomic Rooster,

You have received an infraction at MacNN Forums.

Reason: Personal Attack
-------
"we don't care what you think, you live on an island" is not contributing to the thread.
-------

This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...2/#post3704978

Originally Posted by Doofy
So, we can tell from the above post that McKenna expects me to pay for medicine for people who intentionally acquire their condition.

Interesting.
--------
My reply...

I don't think we really care what you do. You live in a small little Island country that is far away. What you do there doesn't concern the rest of the world. Really.

Best thing for you to do is find a cave and become a hermit. You seam to hate anything and everything. As a vagabond you won't have to worry about taxes or the political spectrum.

All the best,
vmarks

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 8, 2008, 10:59 PM

This thread sucks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
This thread sucks.
Blame the OP.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 9, 2008, 12:17 AM

Completely unrelated observation. There has been no moderation activity in this thread to date. I checked, no edits or other staff interventions. It's a shining example of the free speech we have in MacNN Forums.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Completely unrelated observation. There has been no moderation activity in this thread to date. I checked, no edits or other staff interventions. It's a shining example of the free speech we have in MacNN Forums.
Considering how lockination-worthy this moronic thread is, it is a frightening example actually.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 9, 2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Pro tip: Don't always try and be a dick with a grudge and you'll likely not have to worry about bans.
Sound advice. This place is a piece of cake compared to another forum I'm on. Two minor infractions (derailing) got me a month ban. Be glad the administration is kind enough to give you warnings.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 9, 2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Considering how lockination-worthy this moronic thread is, it is a frightening example actually.
Moronic, no. It gives us a chance to exchange our thoughts with other members about things that may be bothering us and about how imbalanced some stuffs are. It's feels good to get out and have a pretend group hug.

To call something moronic is very simple but it says more about the poster than about the subject.

Just sayin'.

PS. Maybe there should be a 'Post Your Infraction' thread here in the feedback lounge.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2008, 06:17 PM

10 bucks says he comes back here and complains about his ban.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2008, 06:38 PM

I have to say I'm curious what was the straw that broke the Rooster's back...

Cold Warrior
Aug 9, 2008, 06:40 PM

The ban clock isn't working correctly. It's just a temp ban brought on by cumulative infractions.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Moronic, no. It gives us a chance to exchange our thoughts with other members about things that may be bothering us and about how imbalanced some stuffs are. It's feels good to get out and have a pretend group hug.
Group hug — WTF? Dude, get your love at home!

This is a forum. It's a privately run board with rules we all agreed to a long time ago. If you get a warning, take it as that. Opening up a thread to whine about it is completely inane.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure if this board got rid of the lounge entirely we'd have
- less abuse/insults/violations
- less bans
- less posters
- less post whoring
- less bitching
- more technical advice
- in general a more amicable atmosphere

Half the stuff in there is idiotic. The other half is chitchat. But IMHO it's the root of most conflicts here. Get rid of it altogether and you've just put out a whole lot of trash. Literally.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 10, 2008 at 02:09 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2008, 08:51 AM

I kind of thought the Lounge was FOR chitchat. And isn't a whole lot of chatting idiotic, at least on some level? I can see a lot of good in the Lounge, but people seem to get too wound up in what they're saying and when someone says something contrary, they get belligerent. I have never figured out this "pride in authorship" stuff in an online forum.

I've said some pretty stupid things here, and the sun didn't implode because of it-either because I said it or because someone said "dude-you're wrong." If we got rid of most of this sort of stuff, the animosity level would drop and I think the Lounge would be a lot more fun. Too many gotchas, Too many "I'm so much smarter than you because..." threads. Too much "my ego requires that I be right no matter what" posts.

I treat the Lounge like a big party, where a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds get together; if I am not having fun discussing something with one group, I make excuses and go find another group to talk with. That's not so hard...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 09:54 PM

I agree with Glenn, the Lounge is for chitchat. Sure, there is some technical stuff that goes on in there, which is great. It's a good place to get help that might not fit into another forum. Sometimes people take themselves too seriously, myself included, and pointless arguments break out, but for the most part it's pretty civil. The Lounge really has something for everyone. You don't have to go into the Lounge, but if you do, you'll probably find something to talk about, and that's what it's for.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 11, 2008, 02:50 AM

This thread has turned into the most pedantic, boring piece of garbage and I started it. My fault.

Rumor
Aug 11, 2008, 03:12 AM

Funny, I think this song had the same tune before except the name of it was Tooki.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 05:34 AM

Dear Atomic Rooster,

You have received an infraction at MacNN Forums.

Reason: Personal Attack
-------
"we don't care what you think, you live on an island" is not contributing to the thread.
-------

This infraction is worth 10 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.
WTF ?

Infraction for that ?

You mods gotta chill out a bit.

This "persanl attack" pseudo-justification has gotten completely out of hand.
Mods that are as sensitive as 5 year old girls maybe shouldn't moderate a forum like this.

-t

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It's a shining example of the free speech we have in MacNN Forums.
If you believe that you should stop drinking the 'NN kool-aid.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 08:38 AM

we don't have time to stop for gas

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 09:34 AM

Why do people that complain about a forum continue to post there?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF ?

Infraction for that ?

Mods that are as sensitive as 5 year old girls maybe shouldn't moderate a forum like this.

-t

Just to point out the other side, I'm all for people getting dinged for personal attacks. This was pretty much unprovoked.

OTOH, if this is a 10 pointer, I'm surprised the user who's recently told others to "****-off" on multiple occasions hasn't gotten a vacation.

Note that "****-off" may not be an exact quote, the exchanges in question were deleted.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 11, 2008, 12:00 PM

WTF ?

Infraction for that ?

-t
Wait, the guy that does nothing but insult and hate on everybody gets dinged for being a jerk? I see nothing wrong here.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 12:54 PM

The problem is, that more and more, disagreement is labelled as a personal attack.

And in many cases, there people involved don't actually take it personally. But there is always some mod that will take things personally that weren't even meant for them. O hail the MacNN nanny.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 01:18 PM

The problem is, that more and more, disagreement is labelled as a personal attack.

If that's the case then that's a problem, but I think if you choose this:

I don't think we really care what you do. You live in a small little Island country that is far away. What you do there doesn't concern the rest of the world. Really.

Best thing for you to do is find a cave and become a hermit. You seam to hate anything and everything. As a vagabond you won't have to worry about taxes or the political spectrum.
to justify your point, you have picked a bad example. This isn't a disagreement, it's an attack. A mild one, but still an attack.

However, I've already brought up the point that I think 10 points is ridiculous for what AR said if 10 points is what you get for telling someone to "**** off".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 02:59 PM

I wonder if one day we won't all realize how extremely and perpetually circular all of these sorts of debates are. Make the rules stricter: we have to try to define things which simply cannot be defined (e.g. what constitutes an attack, what "content" is, what kinds of off topic stuff is cool, etc.)... We get into tit for tat, rule exceptions, semantics, etc. It just goes on and on and on and on. Slack off on the rules: we have to deal with people who wish more order, people who don't find certain kinds of things funny, all of the same sorts of attacks, etc. etc. Again, it just never ends.

Look at this from the perspective of the mods: one minute people are demanding more rules, the next minute less rules, all of the special cases that have to be entertained, etc.

The bottom line is that there is simply no point in trying to obsess over the rules. They will never be perfect. I wish MacNN was less rule obsessed.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I wish MacNN was less rule obsessed.
That doesn't solve a damn thing, though, especially when it comes to their job.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2008, 03:04 PM

I meant the membership. If they were, the mods could cease being constant rule lawyers.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2008, 03:05 PM

Oh, I see, I misread that.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Just to point out the other side, I'm all for people getting dinged for personal attacks. This was pretty much unprovoked.

OTOH, if this is a 10 pointer, I'm surprised the user who's recently told others to "****-off" on multiple occasions hasn't gotten a vacation.

Note that "****-off" may not be an exact quote, the exchanges in question were deleted.
I couldn't agree more.

It's one thing to say "I disagree with you because of...". It's another to say "you're an idiot if you believe...". The only thing that will make people think twice about making things personal is strict enforcement of the no-ad-hominem-attacks rule and if necessary, banination.

A few people here post things they would never say if they were standing in front of the other person. Such people need to be reminded of common courtesy. If it takes warning, infractions, and banination to achieve that, I'm all for it even though I know this means a whole lot of frustrating work for the mods.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 11, 2008, 05:06 PM

And in many cases, there people involved don't actually take it personally. But there is always some mod that will take things personally that weren't even meant for them. O hail the MacNN nanny.

-t
We have a subgroup of members who take far too much of these forums personally. So these people don't just disagree, they argue. They call each other pretty rude names. And occasionally they take it past where we can accept it as "discussion." That's not being a nanny, it's trying to keep the place from turning into a bad interpretation of "professional" wrestling.

All we have for context on this sort of thing is what's posted, so if UserA and UserB are having a discussion that LOOKS like a heated one, and it looks like it's getting more and more heated, then we're going to step in, even if they knew it was all in fun. We didn't, and a lot of other users didn't either. We tend to let things go farther than we should sometimes. I think if we had some sort of belief that a PM or two would actually have an effect, we'd use those a lot more than infractions. That takes a lot of cooperation from the users...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
We have a subgroup of members who take far too much of these forums personally. So these people don't just disagree, they argue.
As evidenced by this thread. A subset of people seem to forget this just a forum. We're not talking about arguing rights at the hague. Some people really need to shut their computers off and go outside, I see people here taking things waaay to serious.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 09:00 PM

The bottom line is that there is simply no point in trying to obsess over the rules.
Says the most prominent obsessor on these boards.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2008, 10:10 PM

That's rude true.

I think a lot of people take themselves to seriously. It's the internets, guys.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Says the most prominent obsessor on these boards.
I'm not sure what obsessing you are alluding to, but I've acknowledged that my opinions about the rules and the way things are run have changed.

Why must 90% of the stuff you write be these little snippy, catty remarks? Perhaps you need some new hobbies? I suggest collecting stamps.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 01:05 AM

Why must 90% of the stuff you write be these little snippy, catty remarks?
And why must 90% of you post be some inane "joke" that only you find funny?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 01:07 AM

Why must such a thing bother you? You don't have to read my jokes, or regular posts for that matter. Therefore, you don't have to be rude.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 02:01 AM

Why must such a thing bother you? You don't have to read my jokes, or regular posts for that matter. Therefore, you don't have to be rude.
And no one's forcing you to read my posts, so I don't see where the problem is.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 02:44 AM

There is so much equivocating... what are we trying to "solve" anyway? Saying we are trying to solve something is just overly simplistic and detracts away from the main point: things are way too strict on here.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 02:46 AM

I'm not sure what obsessing you are alluding to, but I've acknowledged that my opinions about the rules and the way things are run have changed.

Why must 90% of the stuff you write be these little snippy, catty remarks? Perhaps you need some new hobbies? I suggest collecting stamps.
I agree.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's rude true.

I think a lot of people take themselves to seriously. It's the internets, guys.
Well said, and why can't MacNN take on this attitude? Because they want to look as good as they can for their advertisers.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
As evidenced by this thread. A subset of people seem to forget this just a forum. We're not talking about arguing rights at the hague. Some people really need to shut their computers off and go outside, I see people here taking things waaay to serious.
Exactly, exactly... this is my point. Sometimes I post something (see thread about me being potentially sued) and there is excellent free for all dialogue of people really trying to help out. But this is few and far between on here these days. Everyone is at each other it is horrible and the Mods perpetuate this atmosphere, like surly bouncers ruin a club atmosphere.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If that's the case then that's a problem, but I think if you choose this:

to justify your point, you have picked a bad example. This isn't a disagreement, it's an attack. A mild one, but still an attack.

However, I've already brought up the point that I think 10 points is ridiculous for what AR said if 10 points is what you get for telling someone to "**** off".
Unequivocally agree: there is bias built in... there is little objectivity despite there being rules. Some people deserve infractions but this example is absurd.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 12, 2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Why do people that complain about a forum continue to post there?
Once again this really adds nothing meaningful and undermines any pertinent discussion on this matter. Here is a question to illustrate the absurdity...: why do citizens who protest the laws of their own country continue to live there?

The point: some of us like it here. Some of us don't like what has happened to this place. Some of us see a 'problem'. Some of us want to discuss it to try and make this place better for everyone.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 02:57 AM

I agree.

And I'm crushed.

edit: Wow...talk about your multi-quote failures.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 04:21 AM

Well said, and why can't MacNN take on this attitude? Because they want to look as good as they can for their advertisers.
You realize that none of the mods have any financial incentive whatsoever to appease advertisers, right? We're volunteer members. We don't get any kind of reward for this at all (unless you consider the occasional angry Feedback thread to be a reward).

Long story short: You were disrupting a thread, probably unintentionally. A mod asked you to stop. It has nothing to do with advertisers or anything like that. Even if I cared about advertisers, I don't think advertisers particularly care about the Batman thread. But the people posting in that thread do. Ergo, we try to do what will generally make the members happy.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 12, 2008 at 04:30 AM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 07:42 AM

And no one's forcing you to read my posts, so I don't see where the problem is.
I figured you'd say that...

Like I said, odd hobby you have. I don't set out to irritate and annoy whereas your comments are clearly designed to be confrontational. Whatever floats your boat, I guess...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 11:57 AM

I don't set out to irritate and annoy
But in the end you do.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 12:13 PM

But in the end you do.
I'm sorry, I'm terribly sympathetic to the idea of annoying your sensibilities when you don't even pay me enough respect to express yourself in a thoughtful and civil manner. If I'm annoying you, explain why and how and out of respect I will most likely try to accommodate reasonable requests. Otherwise, I see no great need to offer this same sort of respect when all you've offered is abusive/bitchy/snippy attacks of various sorts.

Do you have any brothers or sisters? As a kid, didn't your parents teach you to ask them to stop doing something you don't like rather than simply hitting them?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 12:30 PM

Okay.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 03:09 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules