Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS: Using iOS, do you quit programs?

iOS: Using iOS, do you quit programs?
HamSandwich
Nov 23, 2015, 04:44 PM

Hello,

I don't know if this is the best question, but I wonder if you ever quit apps on your iPad or iPhone. On a normal computer, you would quit your app after having used it, or you should do so, so that it runs as fast as it can.

As far as I understand, I can see my apps side by side, redesigned now in iOS 9, and I can quit each one, when I don't need it. However, iOS doesn't seem to mind my having open 10 or 15 apps at a time. Does this make sense? Is my behavior wrong? What is right? What do you do? Can you quit apps in iOS at all?

To me, it's always that entirely new OS, without even a visible file system etc.

Thanks,
PeterParker

P
Nov 23, 2015, 06:36 PM

I never quit them. All the apps in your app view are your RECENT apps, some of which may still be running, in which case you can quit them manually by dragging them up. Generally, quitting them manually makes your device slower. There is a very limited set of circumstances where you might want to do so as troubleshooting, but doing so regularly is just negative.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Nov 23, 2015, 07:48 PM

Why would manually quitting apps make iOS run slower?

OreoCookie
Nov 23, 2015, 09:06 PM

I only manually quit my maps app to be sure it stops updating its location in the background. You don't need to quit apps on iOS.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2015, 10:41 PM

This article on Lifehacker claims that quitting All Your Apps in iOS Can Actually Worsen Battery Life.

"By closing the app, you take the app out of the phone's RAM . While you think this may be what you want to do, it's not. When you open that same app again the next time you need it, your device has to load it back into memory all over again. All of that loading and unloading puts more stress on your device than just leaving it alone. Plus, iOS closes apps automatically as it needs more memory, so you're doing something your device is already doing for you. You are meant to be the user of your device, not the janitor.

The truth is, those apps in your multitasking menu are not running in the background at all: iOS freezes them where you last left the app so that it's ready to go if you go back. Unless you have enabled Background App Refresh, your apps are not allowed to run in the background unless they are playing music, using location services, recording audio, or the sneakiest of them all: checking for incoming VOIP calls , like Skype. All of these exceptions, besides the latter, will put an icon next to your battery icon to alert you it is running in the background."

Quitting All Your Apps in iOS Can Actually Worsen Battery Life
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

P
Nov 24, 2015, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Why would manually quitting apps make iOS run slower?
Because loading them into memory again once quit takes time. It doesn't affect other running apps at all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2015, 10:20 PM

My only gripe is, even if they're not "running" when idle, they take up some storage for the machine state each app is in when it goes dormant. While iOS should kill any unused app it needs to in order to free up memory, I've found some of my apps are sluggish when there are a bunch of idle apps. This leads me to believe that not all apps are as "well behaved" as is needed for the grand plan to actually work as intended. My advice is that if you have issues with performance, see if manually closing idle apps helps. You may be able to identify one resource hog that's causing your performance issues.

As for "extra load" when you reopen apps you closed, that's an issue if you frequently reuse apps that you have shut down. The fix for that is to not shut down apps you're going to use soon. This may not eliminate the extra work associated with shutting down and then reopening apps, but if you shut down apps you really aren't using much/frequently, it's not that big a deal.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mobilepundits
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2015, 06:55 AM

Why would manually quitting apps makes down our complete system slow..

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2015, 08:26 AM

See above.
Originally Posted by P View Post
Because loading them into memory again once quit takes time. It doesn't affect other running apps at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules