Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Give Airbus 380 a wink! [JPEG orgy]

Give Airbus 380 a wink! [JPEG orgy] (Page 24)
OreoCookie
Mar 13, 2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
One of the big concern about flying in a blended-wing design is for the passengers sitting out in the wing. Every time the plane banks, those guys are going for one heck of a ride. The flight will be smoother, but those turns will be hell. If I ever fly in one, I'll stick to the center section. There are talks about doing flat turns, which I don't think I'd like.
I'm aware of that. That's exactly why I don't think we'll see a blended-wing plane for passenger transport any time soon (i. e. in the next 30-50 years).
More than likely, I'd avoid the blended wing body, and stick with the trusted old 747.
What will you do in 20 years? How many 747s will still be around? If you believe in Boeing's vision, you'll probably fly in a 787 (or an A350 for that matter) … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What will you do in 20 years? How many 747s will still be around? If you believe in Boeing's vision, you'll probably fly in a 787 (or an A350 for that matter) … 
I have no problem flying the 787. My favorite is the 737.

I will never fly any Airbus.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 05:20 PM

What's special about the 737? I fly them but MUCH prefer the 767 when I get the chance. The 737 seems kind of small. (Even in the -800 variety).

I flew an A330 or A340 on NWA several times out of Tokyo. I absolutely LOVED it. Beautiful aircraft. Comfortable, plenty of room. I'd fly that bad boy any day.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 06:54 PM

It's not about the airplane for him; it's a psychological problem he has.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2007, 08:54 PM

Hehe enjoy your travels then! Half of all the pax planes in the world are Airbus.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 09:41 PM

I have a lot of experience in a number of different manufacturers' planes. The most recent time I flew on an Airbus, I was not particularly comfortable in, of all places, the toilet. No, I do not remember exactly which model it was, it was an A300 something. Anyway, the toilet's overhead was oddly curved so I couldn't stand up properly to use the mirror, the seat was not contoured to fit me (as Boeing's seem to be), and the door was even a problem because of how it moved.

I am a fan of the 737, among other things because of my experience with it back and forth between Honduras and Houston. Takeoffs in Tegucigalpa are "interesting" in a way I never had expected!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 10:13 PM

The 737 just seems right. Not the new longer ones. The ones that Southwest flys. They are compfortable and the number of passengers are just about right. I don't like climbing onto planes that treat you like cattle. You know, like the A380. Just kidding.

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have a lot of experience in a number of different manufacturers' planes. The most recent time I flew on an Airbus, I was not particularly comfortable in, of all places, the toilet. No, I do not remember exactly which model it was, it was an A300 something. Anyway, the toilet's overhead was oddly curved so I couldn't stand up properly to use the mirror, the seat was not contoured to fit me (as Boeing's seem to be), and the door was even a problem because of how it moved.

I am a fan of the 737, among other things because of my experience with it back and forth between Honduras and Houston. Takeoffs in Tegucigalpa are "interesting" in a way I never had expected!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yeah but that doesn't make the A30 a success. It's not. It's a financial failure.
Can you repeat that please. 20 more times.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 14, 2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Can you repeat that please. 20 more times.
Shouldn't have to.

OreoCookie
Mar 14, 2007, 07:45 AM

What do you mean by `interesting'? Short runway? Winds?

OreoCookie
Mar 15, 2007, 11:19 AM

JFYI: Airbus has managed to sell quite a few A350s in March:
Aeroflot has ordered 22 A350s, Qatar will probably order at least 60 A350s (although there are rumors, they might order up to 80; I seem to remember that they've converted their options on the A380 into orders, but I can't seem to find ) and Finair has ordered 11. This should keep the competition going

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2007, 11:24 AM

Try the banana fields at the end of the runway in San Pedro Sula!
Shut up and eat your paisley.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 08:11 PM

Takeoffs in Tegucigalpa are "interesting" in a way I never had expected!
What exactly do you mean?
I already took off in Tegucigalpa twice (737 and some small plane) and I don't remember anything special!
The landing on Utila was special though!

edit: Doh, I remembered that wrong! It was La Ceiba - not Tegucigalpa!
( Last edited by badidea; Mar 15, 2007 at 08:23 PM. )

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 06:57 AM

The most "special" landing I've ever experienced was at St. Maarten.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2007, 10:40 AM

The 737 just seems right. Not the new longer ones. The ones that Southwest flys. They are comfortable and the number of passengers are just about right. I don't like climbing onto planes that treat you like cattle. You know, like the A380. Just kidding.
If you think she feels good now, just wait. Summer 08 780 launch (#8 for Asian operators.) Two variants. 100 pax single isle. 125-195 pax twin isle. All 787 technology plus a few surprises. P&W and GE power.

Airbus will need to rethink the entire 320ER concept while trying to get the 350 in the air by 2015. Completely backed into a corner while Russia continues to try and grab EADS.

There will be 100 350 orders at Paris. Then it will be about 748, 777, and even I can't believe it, 767ERF sales, and the 737RS leaks, rumors, and intentional plants. IMO, Boeing once will catch Airbus sleeping. Boeing has been very coy on the 737RS comments over the last year.

Anyone in here notice Boeing added 46 new wide bodies to the order book last week? Nah, to much of a reality check. I wonder about that 15 787 unidentified order? Seems like LH possibly to me.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 11:38 AM

Isle:

Aisle:

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Isle:

Aisle:
Wow! Just Wow! That pitcher of the Airbus Isle is beautiful! I can't weight to fly that air plain!

OreoCookie
Mar 16, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
If you think she feels good now, just wait. Summer 08 780 launch (#8 for Asian operators.) Two variants. 100 pax single isle. 125-195 pax twin isle. All 787 technology plus a few surprises. P&W and GE power.
The A350 will also be available with GEnx engines … (Obviously the 787 will use a bleedless version.) What are the `surprises' you speak of?

Somehow I think you are mixing two things here, the 787 (~300 pax) and the 737RS (100~200 pax) … which won't be available before 2015 (same as Airbus' replacement for the A320) since the engines won't be available up until then.
Airbus will need to rethink the entire 320ER concept while trying to get the 350 in the air by 2015. Completely backed into a corner while Russia continues to try and grab EADS.
The A350-900 is slated to arrive in mid-2013, not 2015.
There will be 100 350 orders at Paris. Then it will be about 748, 777, and even I can't believe it, 767ERF sales, and the 737RS leaks, rumors, and intentional plants.
I thought Boeing replaced the 767ER with the 787 … 
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Mar 16, 2007 at 12:21 PM. )

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:25 PM

Is there a gambling house where you can bet on aerospace industry developments. Because when glideslope makes predictions, like clockwork, the opposite happens. I'm thinking we could make us some money.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 01:29 PM

Except for UPS cancelling. Sole exception.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Except for UPS cancelling. Sole exception.
@troll

@analogika

a broken watch is right twice a day

V

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2007, 10:04 PM

The A350 will also be available with GEnx engines … (Obviously the 787 will use a bleedless version.) What are the `surprises' you speak of?

Somehow I think you are mixing two things here, the 787 (~300 pax) and the 737RS (100~200 pax) … which won't be available before 2015 (same as Airbus' replacement for the A320) since the engines won't be available up until then.

The A350-900 is slated to arrive in mid-2013, not 2015.

I thought Boeing replaced the 767ER with the 787 … 
1) GE has not committed to the 350. I don't see it happening. Think GE90 and 777? Gen X and 787?

2) Boeing will offer 2 different configurations in the 737RS. No confusion. A single isle think 100 seat, (RJ market) and a twin isle up to around 190 or so. The 787 is the 250+ market. I am going out on a limb on this one, but I see a pattern.

3) The A350 will not be ready in 2013. Too much internal fighting.

4) The 757 and 767 are being replaced by the 787. The 767ERF is making a big comeback due to the 332F not being ready. I'm sure once the 332F is on line the 767ERF will stop. It is less efficient. Check how many 767 sales are on the Boeing site. Seems strange considering I would have never expected it.

5) The 1500th 747 was ordered last week. Actually 1502. Multiple 748 New Customer order. So kind of the same but different?
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Is there a gambling house where you can bet on aerospace industry developments. Because when glideslope makes predictions, like clockwork, the opposite happens. I'm thinking we could make us some money.
You know. I'll bet you use a windows machine at work. The anger permeates from every pore.
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
@troll

@analogika

a broken watch is right twice a day

V
Your too smart to make these comments. Troll I can understand.
Sun Tzu

OreoCookie
Mar 17, 2007, 02:56 AM

1) GE has not committed to the 350. I don't see it happening. Think GE90 and 777? Gen X and 787?
It has happened for the A380 and so it's very likely Airbus will offer a GE engine for customers. Plus, it's better for GE to have two customers instead of just one.
2) Boeing will offer 2 different configurations in the 737RS. No confusion. A single isle think 100 seat, (RJ market) and a twin isle up to around 190 or so. The 787 is the 250+ market. I am going out on a limb on this one, but I see a pattern.
You're aware that the 737RS won't be released before 2014, 2015, right? By the same token, you could start talking about the Y3 (whatever it's name will be), Boeing's replacement for the 777 and 748.
3) The A350 will not be ready in 2013. Too much internal fighting.
That's speculation/wishful thinking on your part.
5) The 1500th 747 was ordered last week. Actually 1502. Multiple 748 New Customer order. So kind of the same but different?
Just shows hoe big the market for the A380 really is and that Boeing will develop its own super jumbo (project Y3). Eventually.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2007, 04:20 AM

You know. I'll bet you use a windows machine at work. The anger permeates from every pore.
And I'll bet you have to convert measurements from metric to imperial all day at work. And then get paid in dollars.

The fear of the Other permeates from every pore.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2007, 04:22 AM

Isle:

Aisle:

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 07:54 PM

I guess China won't be buying any A380's or 747's.

FT.com / Asia-Pacific / China - China to challenge Boeing and Airbus

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by article
It gave no details about the company or how it would be funded, nor did it set out any timetable. The decision was taken on February 26, but there was no explanation for the delay in the announcement.
Maybe in 20 years.. until then.

V

marden
Baninated
Mar 19, 2007, 08:48 PM

ABC Evening News asks if the A-380 isn't more about ego and hubris than economics.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2007, 09:01 PM

I hear it landed here at LAX this morning.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
ABC Evening News asks if the A-380 isn't more about ego and hubris than economics.
Oh that's good, because I can answer them.

No.

I'm sure you'll give them the message!

V

marden
Baninated
Mar 19, 2007, 09:53 PM

Yup and at JFK.

March 19, 2007

Mega-Jumbo Airbus A380 Lands in New York, L.A.

NEW YORK -- The Airbus A380 – the world’s largest passenger plane – made a U.S. debut today that was as outsize as its girth.

At New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport, the 560-ton behemoth touched down about ten minutes after noon – 20 minutes ahead of schedule -- to a crowd of hundreds of reporters and bystanders.

On board were about 500 employees of Airbus and Lufthansa German Airlines, which hosted the flight and provided the crew. (Story continues after video of the landing, below.)

Minutes later, a second Airbus A380 touched down at Los Angeles International Airport. Airbus carefully choreographed the twin landings to showcase the oft-questioned readiness of major international airports to accommodate the double-decker giant. The mega-jumbo requires, among other things, widened ramps and double loading bridges so that both decks can be boarded at once. These extra requirements, as well as widely publicized production problems, has earned the jet its share of critics.
Mega-Jumbo Airbus A380 Lands in New York, L.A. - Popular Mechanics

marden
Baninated
Mar 19, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Oh that's good, because I can answer them.

No.

I'm sure you'll give them the message!

V
I'll FWD them the message.

Ooops. Looks like I can't. They said I had FWD'ed too many messages.

They wouldn't mind someone ELSE giving them the message but they just won't accept it from moi.

Oh well.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 09:58 PM

Which airlines flew the airbuses today? Lufthansa?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
Which airlines flew the airbuses today? Lufthansa?
Yeah it was a Lufthansa training flight.

V

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 10:11 PM

I don't want to fly the a380.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2007, 10:29 PM

For some strange reason, when the plane passed by, I thought of this.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 11:47 PM

Yup and at JFK.
I saw it on the ground at JFK. I got there a few minutes too late to see the landing--It was 20 minutes early. You could see it from the roadway at Terminal 1. I was there for close to an hour and there must have been 150 people come by to take a look at the thing through the fence. All of them were men except for three women. Security on the tarmac and at the terminal was *tight* with the plane being cordoned off even from regular airport personnel. While standing outside the fence a four-person team of Airborne Rangers came on by armed with machine guns.

All I can say is "WW"; It's a big-ass plane. I saw one guy walk under one of the engines and he had to only slightly dip his head to clear it. It was air-frame 007 and it is supposed to come back to JFK tomorrow and then go on a "flight to nowhere" around Manhattan on Wednesday before heading back to Europe on Thursday. I hope to catch it Wednesday. I got some decent pics before my battery died but you had to be on the upper roadway by the terminal to see it un-obstructed by the perimeter fence. It sure is a beautiful plane.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 02:15 AM

I would love to see it, but like I said, I wouldn't want to fly on it.

marden
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 02:58 AM

http://www.eads.net/xml/content/OF00...9/40663690.jpg

Here's a big picture for those wanting some sense of size.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 04:37 AM

I'm aware of that. That's exactly why I don't think we'll see a blended-wing plane for passenger transport any time soon (i. e. in the next 30-50 years).
Well, passengers seem to adapt to increasing discomfort, so having them sedated and stacked as cargo will solve the fixed-wing-rollercoster issue, while increasing efficiency.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 06:22 AM

More and more people are seeing it for what it is.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 06:47 AM

More and more people are seeing it for what it is.
And what would that be? A good idea that could use some more competition from the East? A failure? You've never really told us how you feel about the plane or airbus. Stop being so coy. What's your evaluation of the big bird? Let loose. We wanna hear it.

http://www.eads.net/xml/content/OF00...9/40663690.jpg

Here's a big picture for those wanting some sense of size.
Cool! That's actually what 99% of people come to this thread for I bet, not to hear Kevin bitch about the problems over and over and over page after page after page. Pose more pix please!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 06:55 AM

You haven't been paying attention then.

marden
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 07:40 AM

Cool! That's actually what 99% of people come to this thread for I bet, not to hear Kevin bitch about the problems over and over and over page after page after page. Pose more pix please!
Kevin is my pal. You want more pix? Let Google be your pal.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 08:20 AM

You haven't been paying attention then.
I bet that you're so full of yourself that you really do think that!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 08:21 AM

I bet that you're so full of yourself that you really do think that!
Sit on it mrtew.

aaaaye.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
edit: Doh, I remembered that wrong! It was La Ceiba - not Tegucigalpa!
La Ceiba is a strip not a runway!

HOLY CRAP! No wonder it was memorable!

I've took a Cessna 177 in and out of there to San Pedro Sula on a medivac flight.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

Forum Links
Forum Rules