Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would this $199 LCD/TV work with a Mac Mini?

Would this $199 LCD/TV work with a Mac Mini?
dennett
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 01:43 AM

Costco is running a special on a Sharp 15" LCD/TV for only $199, I'm wonder if it would work with a Mac Mini? If so what cabling and or adapters would be needed? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=BC-1482&pos=1

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 3, 2005, 01:47 AM

Unless you have the ability to try the VGA input first, I wouldn't get any LCD that didn't have DVI.

Our office bought some VGA-only Samsungs, and they were crap. We traded them in for DVI/VGA Samsungs and they were very good. DVI was excellent of course, but even VGA was very good. The VGA-only ones looked good on paper, but in actual usage they were terrible, since the adjustments could never set things up properly with the video card. Blurry as hell. OTOH, the DVI/VGA Samsungs had excellent VGA adjustability, tested with the very same video cards.

I've seen several other VGA-only crap LCDs too.

Moral of the story, there are a lot of crap VGA-only LCDs out there.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 01:51 AM

If you want to go cheap and don't need the TV part here is a 17" LCD with DVI for $189. It is bigger and has a better resolution. Also, it would probably match the mini.

Edit:

Sorry about that Eug. They had this thing listed as DVI a couple weeks ago. I had saved the link but it seems as if it changed.
( Last edited by discotronic; Feb 3, 2005 at 01:59 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 3, 2005, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
If you want to go cheap and don't need the TV part here is a 17" LCD with DVI for $189. It is bigger and has a better resolution. Also, it would probably match the mini.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2&Sku=N52-1710
VGA only. Unless you (or someone else here) can test the mini with it first, I would avoid it. See my previous message.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2005, 01:59 AM

That's the great thing about Costco, if it didn't work it could be returned no questions asked at any Costco. I love buying things from their website for that very reason. As far as this particular monitor, it just seems a great fit with the Mac Mini, being that it has the TV tuner and the ability to watch TV in a PiP window while using the computer. But I'm not too sure at its video connector...

NYK Ace
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 10:08 AM

double post

NYK Ace
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 10:09 AM

i say go for it, its cheap enough and if your not going to be doing any work that requires EXACT color coordination it should be fine

the VGA port will connect fine with the mini

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 01:25 PM

SO, what is the main dif between an LCD monitor and an LCD TV?

Is it like the dot pitch in CRTs?

Toby

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
SO, what is the main dif between an LCD monitor and an LCD TV?

Is it like the dot pitch in CRTs?

Toby
LCD TV has a tv tuner i'd assume.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
VGA only. Unless you (or someone else here) can test the mini with it first, I would avoid it. See my previous message.
Yep. I bought it because it was advertised as DVI.

Turned out it is not, once I had my hands on. Wanted to return it, but tried it out. Although it's only VGA, it has a great picture and is a good bang for the buck. I'm gonna keep it.

-t

NYK Ace
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 06:57 PM

like i said VGA LCDs get a bad rap but unless your using them for color specific tasks they produce a decent pic

Forum Links
Forum Rules