Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OSX compatability

OSX compatability
dennett
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 09:34 PM

I know this a stupid question, but I'm about to take the OSX plunge and I want to know if I need to upgrade all my software. Do I have to have office vX? Will my old Quicken work? Do any old apps work with X? I told you it was a stupid question!!

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2002, 03:02 PM

No one knows the answer to my question?? Maybe I'm not so dumb afterall!!
Come on, somebody has to know the answer!!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2002, 03:20 PM

The answer is YES and NO...

You can either run older (non-carbonized) OS 9 applications in:

1) OS 9 or,
2) OS X's classic environment

When in OS X, if you double click on an old program (let's say your version of Quicken) OS X will first launch a program called Classic. That takes about 10 - 15 seconds. Then classic will launch your application. It will look and ack like it did in OS 9 when you are using it (95% of the time). PLEASE NOTE: The program will act a little different, and you may have printing problems, network issues etc.

I tell people to do this. Write down what programs you use the most and how much time you spend with them.
Mine was something like this:
1) Photoshop 20%
2) Quark 20%
3) Office (w/ Entorage) 30%
4) Illustrator 5%
5) Internet Program 25%

When you get above 70% with native OSX programs, make the switch... I did it, but still use Photoshop and Quark in Classic and it causes some issues like with print.

I hope this works for you. OSX is a great OS, and I am sure it will only get better with time...

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: mitchell_pgh ]

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2002, 01:05 AM

Thanks Mitchell, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question! It sounds like it is time for me to make the switch to OSX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules