Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.5.8 is out

Mac OS X 10.5.8 is out
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2009, 05:15 PM

http://support.apple.com/downloads/M..._10_5_8_Update

No idea what new RAW formats are supported though. LX3/D-LUX4 perchance?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 05:58 PM

Supported by Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.6

Canon EOS 500D
Canon EOS Kiss Digital X3
Canon Rebel T1i
Nikon D5000
Olympus E-30
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2009, 06:33 PM

it's much like 10.5.7...only the 7 is now an 8...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 06:37 PM

And mail STILL doesnt hide on boot up even tho its ticked!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2009, 07:26 PM

Noting that it says "bluetooth problems fixed" - I hope so..this time...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
And mail STILL doesnt hide on boot up even tho its ticked!

OMG!

Seriously, how hard can it be?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:33 AM

That one hasn't worked since Panther or so (or was it Jaguar?). Clearly it's a serious and difficult technical problem that needs to be saved for Snow Leopard (or perhaps the next one after that).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
That one hasn't worked since Panther or so (or was it Jaguar?). Clearly it's a serious and difficult technical problem that needs to be saved for Snow Leopard (or perhaps the next one after that).
Obviously.

Together with the other incredibly serious and difficult problem where the Finder cannot remember its default window size.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:39 AM

It's funny though. Steve is always described as an obsessed perfectionist that won't launch a product until it's just perfect. They claim he'll hover over the engineers and nitpick until every last detail has been fixed.

How can they keep spreading that nonsense when Apple's flagship product OS X has contained such obvious bugs over the coarse of several updates?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:40 AM

Well, the Finder's allegedly getting a rewrite in Cocoa, and all you have to do in Cocoa is set an autosave name for the window in Interface Builder to get it to remember its size/position, so I'd say you actually have a decent chance on that one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:42 AM

Well I doubt it's thaaat much more complicated in Carbon so I sure aint holding my breath.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's funny though. Steve is always described as an obsessed perfectionist that won't launch a product until it's just perfect. They claim he'll hover over the engineers and nitpick until every last detail has been fixed.

How can they keep spreading that nonsense when Apple's flagship product OS X has contained such obvious bugs over the coarse of several updates?
Oh, it's not nearly as bad as it was in the old days. Remember Mac OS X 10.0? I had a list of completely obnoxious UI bugs that had around 75 items in it. You could have the Dock on autohide and drag an icon to its edge of the screen, and it would fail to pop up half the time. That drove me absolutely bats, as I had a 1024x768 screen at the time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:45 AM

Well I doubt it's thaaat much more complicated in Carbon so I sure aint holding my breath.
I could go add that myself to a Cocoa app just with IB, without even having access to the source code or anything, if it weren't for those lame new .nib files that lack the files needed to be properly openable. Well, and also code signing. Ah well. The point is that this shouldn't be hard for them to add to the Finder in Snow Leopard.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:48 AM

Sure, but how hard is it now?

To me it appears as if it were rooted in principle (WTF?) rather than in their coding abilities.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 10:29 AM

Oh, it's not nearly as bad as it was in the old days. Remember Mac OS X 10.0? I had a list of completely obnoxious UI bugs that had around 75 items in it. You could have the Dock on autohide and drag an icon to its edge of the screen, and it would fail to pop up half the time. That drove me absolutely bats, as I had a 1024x768 screen at the time.
I had the same type of list for 10.0. It's pretty clear now, looking back, that 10.0 was Public Beta 2. I never really got the furor over Mail not auto-hiding, but there are of course a number of other long-standing issues that have elicited anger from me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2009, 03:01 PM

WTF, it seems like it installed an older version of iTunes!???!
I can't open my library anymore because "it was created by a newer version of iTunes"!
Crap!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 03:10 PM

You don't know what's happening behind the scene.

Maybe every OS update, a new engineer gets executed fired until it's done ?

-t

dzp111
Senior User
Aug 6, 2009, 03:15 PM

My Airport hasn't dropped once since the update yesterday. Yay!! I used to have dropouts at least 3 times daily. I hope it holds.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:21 PM

The reason that the Mail not hiding thing isn't going to get fixed is because that feature is only allowed to work on odd-numbered releases of OS X.

In 10.1, it worked. The window would appear briefly on login, but would hide itself shortly.

In 10.2, it didn't. The window would appear at login and never hide.

In 10.3, all my login items hid properly, and their windows never appeared at login at all. It was great, until one of the 10.3.x updates came out and caused iCal's window to stop hiding.

In 10.4, iCal hid properly again, but Mail went back to not hiding, and now Terminal started doing it too.

In 10.5, Terminal worked but Mail still didn't, messing up the pattern, which means that the next one is going to cause a huge rip in the space-time continuum, send us all back to 1984, and suck planets into black holes.

dzp111
Senior User
Aug 6, 2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
My Airport hasn't dropped once since the update yesterday. Yay!! I used to have dropouts at least 3 times daily. I hope it holds.
Sigh. So much for that.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Maybe every OS update, a new engineer gets executed fired until it's done ?
Hehe.

So by know they must have stacked up a lot of bodies on the Cupertino campus.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2009, 09:03 AM

Hehe.

So by know they must have stacked up a lot of bodies on the Cupertino campus.
No, no, a dead Apple engineer is still valuable to a lot of tech companies
Apple sells them to M$ and others

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2009, 02:15 PM

Soylent Green has to come from somewhere, you know!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Soylent Green has to come from somewhere, you know!
Mmm... people.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Thorzdad
Aug 7, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Mmm... people.
Tastes just like Grandma used to.

Back to the subject of 10.5.8...Is anyone here seeing the problem discussed in this Apple forum thread? I'm about to send my daughter off to college with her MacBook, but I'm not sure I want to do the update if it's going to wreck her wifi reception the way those people describe.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2009, 09:20 PM

I just checked a 13" macbook pro and a 15" macbook pro, and neither of them exhibited any change in pings between powered and battery.

I know that's not a huge sample size.. Just sayin.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Tastes just like Grandma used to.

Back to the subject of 10.5.8...Is anyone here seeing the problem discussed in this Apple forum thread? I'm about to send my daughter off to college with her MacBook, but I'm not sure I want to do the update if it's going to wreck her wifi reception the way those people describe.
WiFi over Airport connecting to a Belkin-N Wireless Router is BORKED after this update. My 20" Intel iMac (2008) is losing the Airport connection repeatedly. No such problem under 10.5.7. None of my other computers on the same wireless network are having this problem maintaining a connection.

Not sure if this is related to the issue in that discussion thread.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I just checked a 13" macbook pro and a 15" macbook pro, and neither of them exhibited any change in pings between powered and battery.

I know that's not a huge sample size.. Just sayin.
Add another 15" MBP to the sample. Virtually identical pings on power and battery. And no weird connectivity issues here, but clearly YMMV.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Mmm... people.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2009, 02:50 AM

srsly I'd just settle for being able to update a customers mac from 10.4 to 5 and have mail actually work.
Given that mail is an integral part of the Mac and OSX experience it has become an incredibly shabby product. It quits all the time, imap handling is beyond woeful and out the other side again, it's slow... but the fact that I have to trash it, archive customer mail as a precaution and then jump through hoops just to get it to work after every upgrade is pathetic.

Any Mac app that has a microsoft version that is actually functionally superior is in a bad way.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2009, 04:55 AM

Mail has never to my recollection quit on me, I don't find much of any problem with IMAP, and it's usually fast. Maybe your mail needs are a lot different than mine, but I'm pretty happy with Mail.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Mail has never to my recollection quit on me, I don't find much of any problem with IMAP, and it's usually fast. Maybe your mail needs are a lot different than mine, but I'm pretty happy with Mail.
I'll second that. In my experience Mail has been almost entirely trouble-free. Even across update installs from Panther and Tiger.

The exception was the bug that crashed Mail when you dragged a Finder item onto its Dock icon. But Apple fixed that bug with one of the 10.5.x updates.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2009, 05:15 AM

Let me add though that I use POP3. I never use IMAP. By choice.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2009, 06:00 AM

There is a bug in 10.5 that prevents e.g. MobileMe accounts from opening properly in Mail when you upgrade from 10.4 via an archive and install, which forces you to reset your account in Mail. It has been there since 10.5.0 and is STILL THERE in 10.5.8. Thankfully I am savvy enough to know how to fix this for everyone that experiences it, but for your average user? They are potentially going to lose a lot of e-mails (e.g. if they archived them to their hard drive) by doing the 'wrong' thing when attempting a fix.

I suspect that this is the issue that Andrew Stephens could be talking about.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
. Thankfully I am savvy enough to know how to fix this for everyone that experiences it...
Would you mind sharing that with us, then? just for the sake of having here in a thread? Could be useful to someone doing a search.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2009, 02:17 AM

Maybe the folks with wifi issues weren't "imagining it"....
AirPort Client Update for MacBook and MacBook Pro

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Would you mind sharing that with us, then? just for the sake of having here in a thread? Could be useful to someone doing a search.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....9306&tstart=90

Forum Links
Forum Rules