Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS 7 - Spheric's Tips and Tricks

iOS 7 - Spheric's Tips and Tricks
shuntva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2013, 05:05 PM

A SURPRISE
- I love the new look and think it is a big improvement
- Only one surprise (so far) ... the global search (scroll to left beyond the home page) is missing

Did I miss some other way to get to iPhone global search?

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2013, 05:13 PM

there's new top/bottom swipes that have new stuffs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2013, 05:43 PM

Search is on every home screen. Just pull it down to reveal the search bar at the top.

The first thing the iPhone did after restarting was to pop up a message explaining this.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2013, 08:15 PM

On Safari on my iPad mini the options for bookmarks, tabs etc do not show up like they do on my iPhone. Is there a setting I am missing?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2013, 08:16 PM

Yes: the tabs and bookmarks at the top of the screen.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2013, 08:30 PM

I meant the icon to open up the open web pages and flip through them like on the phone.

Thanks.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 18, 2013, 10:20 PM

I don't see that

Where am I supposed to download it? I connected my iPod but it tells me No Updates available.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post
I meant the icon to open up the open web pages and flip through them like on the phone.

Thanks.
That doesn't exist. You have actual tabs on the iPad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
I don't see that

Where am I supposed to download it? I connected my iPod but it tells me No Updates available.
A) it's iPod touch 5th-generation only.

B) you need iTunes 11.1 for the upgrade.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 06:26 AM

Since it's probably more appropriate to this thread than the other general-discussion one:

iOS 7: Tips, Tricks, and Details

Great list.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 07:38 AM

NEWSSTAND can now BE STUCK INTO A FOLDER!!!!

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2013, 08:41 AM

I posted this in the other thread, but figured it might be helpful here. I dunno if anyone else had an issue with the parallax effect:

I installed iOS 7 on both and iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and noticed that initially the parallax effect was very jittery; the icons were adjusting themselves even with the device flat on a table. And no, I do not live in an earthquake area. I toggled it on/off in Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion and it seemed to calm it down.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2013, 11:05 AM

I wish you could tell Siri: "Do not disturb me for x hours/minutes" and have Do Not Disturb set for that amount of time.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 19, 2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
A) it's iPod touch 5th-generation only.
What?!

But Apple supports it on the iPhone 4! What not on the iPod Touch 4?

It can't be that big of a technological leap to bring the OS to the iPod-only hardware...and it's only like a few years old.

So that means I'm screwed? I can't get iOS 7 without buying a whole new iPod?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I wish you could tell Siri: "Do not disturb me for x hours/minutes" and have Do Not Disturb set for that amount of time.
*sigh*

I wish I coul dtell Siri:

"Play a new radio station with Artist xyz."

Come on.

-t

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
*sigh*

I wish I coul dtell Siri:

"Play a new radio station with Artist xyz."

Come on.

-t
She already has access to everything in Control Center, which includes Do Not Disturb. You can also schedule Do Not Disturb for certain times. You can also tell her to set timers already. Why exactly is this such a large leap? How often do you think people flip on, or on a whim WILL flip on DND (since it is now easily accessible in CC) and forget to turn it back off? Come on, this is not that hard to understand how that would be an improvement.

Your example is icing on a cake. This suggestion is the actual cake: for someone who wants to focus for 60 minutes and not have to remember to turn DND off or hope to notice the moon icon in the status bar when looking at the phone or travel into DND settings and set the start time and end time. This is where Siri can Be All That She Can Be.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Sep 19, 2013 at 02:19 PM. )

P
Sep 19, 2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
What?!

But Apple supports it on the iPhone 4! What not on the iPod Touch 4?
That model iPod touch has only 256 MB RAM. All iOS 7 devices have at least 512. Sorry.

I haven't updated my iPhone 4 yet, and I'm not sure I will. Apparently iOS 7 is straining it to the limit.

Note for anyone who thinks the new animations are too much and too heavy on the hardware: Apple hid the setting for toning them down in Accessibility. Hit Increase Contrast to bring the fancy down a notch.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Note for anyone who thinks the new animations are too much and too heavy on the hardware: Apple hid the setting for toning them down in Accessibility. Hit Increase Contrast to bring the fancy down a notch.
You can also turn off parallax effect in Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion

In that same menu, you can also turn on Bold Fonts which has pleased me greatly. I did not like the thin fonts too much.

edit: I bumped the text size down a notch after enabling Bold Fonts as well.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Sep 19, 2013 at 03:03 PM. )

P
Sep 19, 2013, 03:00 PM

I don't see a difference when lowering the parallax effect it's always fairly low. No big deal.

You can increase font sizes as well. Also note that ipad 2 and mini will now use the Retina versions of iPhone apps I available, which improves text rendering by about a mile.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Sandman619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak View Post

Thanks.
Tap on the icon in the lower left that resembles 2 offset sheets of paper, it's the updated icon from iOS6. If at least 2 tabs are open, they will line up so you have a visual of which tab you want to select. The X on the upper left of each tab closes the tab

Cheers !

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sandman619 View Post
Tap on the icon in the lower left that resembles 2 offset sheets of paper, it's the updated icon from iOS6. If at least 2 tabs are open, they will line up so you have a visual of which tab you want to select. The X on the upper left of each tab closes the tab

Cheers !
A) it's on the lower RIGHT.

B) that's only on the iPhone. He's talking about the iPad, which has regular tabs along the address bar like any other browser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules