Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't use Aperture cause of .25GHZ!

Can't use Aperture cause of .25GHZ!
drainyoo
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 07:21 PM

I can't believe that Aperture won't run on my machine just cause I have a 1 GHZ processor and not a 1.25. I mean, is the difference that much? Man this sucks. So I basically have buy a new machine to use this app which I really need. Lame.
i hate project managers.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
I basically have buy a new machine to use this app
somehow i think this is apple's plan

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7 View Post
somehow i think this is apple's plan
Well I understand that people will really old machines have to upgrade bu my PowerBook G4 isn't all that old. I just find it odd that Aperture can run on a 1.25GHZ machine but not a 1GHZ machine.
i hate project managers.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 07:39 PM

yeah, the aperture requirements don't make sense in some cases...

a dual g4 powermac can't run it, but a single g4 powerbook can...

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 07:48 PM

A dual G4 really can't?
i hate project managers.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2006, 08:17 PM

It's the GPU that is really the determining factor, not the CPU. The reason they provide CPU guidelines is that they correspond to when the required GPUs were available.
Vandelay Industries

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 08:28 PM

Aperture probably can only use one processor meaning it won't matter if you're running it on a dual rig vs. a single.

And .25 ghz is a 25% difference. That's pretty significant.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 09:00 PM

I can't believe that Aperture won't run on my machine just cause I have a 1 GHZ processor and not a 1.25. I mean, is the difference that much? Man this sucks. So I basically have buy a new machine to use this app which I really need. Lame.
You can hack Aperture to run on your machine. Do you have enough RAM (≥1GB)? Then just follow these instructions:

http://minimal.cx/2006/11/02/aperture-151-hack/

and you will be able to use Aperture on your Mac.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 11:37 PM

I had the same question and posted on Apple Discussions.

None of my Macs are supported by Apple means. However, my iBook G4 (12-inch, 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB of RAM, and 32MB Radeon 9550) was able to run Aperture 1.5 Trial. Interestingly, my dual PowerMac G4 (dual 1.25Ghz, 1.75GB of RAM, and 256MB Radeon 9600 Pro Mac+PC edition) didn't pass the compatibility checker at all.

Apple did mention the Radeon 9600 Pro on the tech specs page.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 5, 2006, 12:27 AM

Pretty much this is Apple's way of forcing an upgrade purchase to run high end software. I am sure a 867Mhz Powerbook could run the app, but Apple needs to sell machines, so...
iMac G4 / Macbook

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tsilou B. View Post
You can hack Aperture to run on your machine. Do you have enough RAM (≥1GB)? Then just follow these instructions:

minimal.cx � aperture 1.5.1 hack

and you will be able to use Aperture on your Mac.
Interesting but the install for the 30-day trial won't install cause my machine isn't acceptable and it quits.
i hate project managers.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 5, 2006, 04:02 AM

I know I will catch some flak for this, but it has to be said...

This just doesn't happen on PC's.
iMac G4 / Macbook

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 5, 2006, 05:58 AM

Interesting but the install for the 30-day trial won't install cause my machine isn't acceptable and it quits.

Download Pacifist from http://www.charlessoft.com/, open the .mpkg file with Pacifist and install Aperture that way. Then use the hack from http://minimal.cx/2006/09/30/aperture-15-hack/ (the Trial is only version 1.5, not 1.5.1) and you can run Aperture.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post

Happens with games all the time... my friend got burned by thinking a GeForce 420 go was equivalent to a GeForce4 recently.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's the GPU that is really the determining factor, not the CPU. The reason they provide CPU guidelines is that they correspond to when the required GPUs were available.
Strange, though, that MacBooks and Intel mini's are offcially supported.. despite their crapy GPUs.

True, but if you were using a PC with specs less than the minimum requirements, the PC would install the app, and just run it miserably, with constant crashes, causing huge frustration. On a Mac, Apple wants software to run well, and by physically limiting the systems it will run on, they can be sure that the software will run at a certain standard or better .
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh View Post
Strange, though, that MacBooks and Intel mini's are offcially supported.. despite their crapy GPUs.
Their GPU supports Core Image which is what's really required.
Vandelay Industries

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 03:54 PM

Flak: Aperture doesn't run on PCs.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 5, 2006, 05:59 PM

Download Pacifist from CharlesSoft - software you always wished someone would write, open the .mpkg file with Pacifist and install Aperture that way. Then use the hack from minimal.cx � aperture 1.5 hack (the Trial is only version 1.5, not 1.5.1) and you can run Aperture.

I tried all this and the app crashed every time on launch. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. What ticks me off is that this app can be really useful to me but now I have to buy a new machine just to use it.
i hate project managers.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 07:49 PM

You'd be glad too. Runs like a dog on the minimum requirement.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 08:15 PM

I can't run Aperture 1.1 or above because my iBook has too low resolution, but hardware-wise it can run it.

My iBook could run Aperture 1.0 without complaint. This is just one of these arbitrary decisions made by Apple.

They can be such douche-bags sometimes.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 09:21 PM

You're telling me you're shooting 8-12+mp RAW files and need a professional workflow, and you have an iBook?

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 10:32 PM

Download Pacifist from CharlesSoft - software you always wished someone would write, open the .mpkg file with Pacifist and install Aperture that way. Then use the hack from minimal.cx � aperture 1.5 hack (the Trial is only version 1.5, not 1.5.1) and you can run Aperture.
Thanks for the info.

Aperture is now running on my 17" Powerbook. Its a little slow on raw files, but fine on everything else.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 11:41 PM

I guess you can't win no matter what you do. If they let you run it on your machine, you will complain about how slow it is, if they prevent you from having a miserable experience that prompts you to post all about your horrible experience on your blog, they are "douche-bags."
-- Jason

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
You're telling me you're shooting 8-12+mp RAW files and need a professional workflow, and you have an iBook?
Are you going for the 'dumbest post in the thread' award? Well then you're in luck, you just won.

V

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I guess you can't win no matter what you do. If they let you run it on your machine, you will complain about how slow it is, if they prevent you from having a miserable experience that prompts you to post all about your horrible experience on your blog, they are "douche-bags."
It is no slower on the MacBook than on the iBook. Some things are faster on the iBook, but the MacBook is supported now.

The iBook *was* supported.

Not that the app itself changed anything. Gawd I hate Apple apologists vehemently.

V

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 07:22 AM

From what I've heard, calling it supported on the iBook was just a reflection of Apple wanting to include more models on the list, rather than "actually fast enough to run the program effectively". There were certainly plenty of speed complaints from G5 owners, let alone low end G4 laptop owners.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Not that the app itself changed anything. Gawd I hate Apple apologists vehemently.

V
You hate a lot lately. What is going on in your life lately? You've been awfully pissy the last day or so. Maybe you shouldn't take it out on MacNN.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2006, 11:14 AM

Apple dont put system requirements on the box because they got bored. You surely read them 1st right??
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006, 11:42 AM

As I posted above this hack worked fine. But after I updated to 1.5.1 it unhacked itself. However there is now an Aperture 1.5.1 hack on the same site. I'm back again.

Note: After the 1.5.1 update and rebuilding the directory with DiskWarrior, Aperture is running a lot better now.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The GPU shouldn't be the issue. If it was how could it run on a Macbook?

The GMA certainly is not more powerful than a 128 Geforce4 ti...right?!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Apple dont put system requirements on the box because they got bored. You surely read them 1st right??
They changed them between Aperture 1.0 and 1.1, so yes I did read the requirements and then I had to read them again.

@erik

I've never liked the fools that jump on my throat for disliking Apple's aesthetic decisions or Adobe's kool-aid propaganda.

No anger, just a strong dislike. Hate like 'I hate strawberry icecream', not hate like 'I hate person X'. English doesn't unfortunately make a clear distinction between the two and touchy people might confuse the two.

However there is a distinction and it is general vs specific.

V

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post

It may be the GMA supports features the GeForce4 does not.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 06:09 PM

Such as the features required for Core Image.
Vandelay Industries

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 06:15 PM

No anger, just a strong dislike. Hate like 'I hate strawberry icecream', not hate like 'I hate person X'. English doesn't unfortunately make a clear distinction between the two and touchy people might confuse the two.

V
So this is a strong dislike, or what?

Are you going for the 'dumbest post in the thread' award? Well then you're in luck, you just won.
If you're being disingenuous, try the use of smilies, or other tools that convey good-nature and irony.

Look, I don't know of any pros who require a large workflow who use iBooks and Aperture; I imagine there's a reason; it just sounds like you're asking for trouble. Aperture was always intended as professional work tool. If you are a professional, surely you would have the means to at least move up to a MacBook? If not, then why are you using Aperture— there are many other options?

Still doesn't warrant your comment. Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 7, 2006, 09:33 PM

OK, here's the real deal: you don't wanna run Aperture on a 1GHz PowerBook. You don't really want to run it on any PowerBook, it's way too slow on them.

The only reason a 1.25GHz PowerBook can run Aperture at all is because that was the base PowerBook when Aperture was released. Why allow this? Because it would have been terrible PR to release an application that couldn't run on any laptop of the time.

In fact, Aperture REALLY needs a dual G5 or Core Duo to work acceptably fast. A good GPU is very helpful, but less essential than a good CPU. Anything less than that is really frustrating to run it on.

tooki

P
Nov 8, 2006, 10:42 AM

Not this exact thing, no, but MS is known for forcing OS upgrades with similar means - Halo 2 for Windows will only run on Vista, for instance.

Not as bad, because you can upgrade rather than buying a new machine, so... Ah, who am I kidding. This sucks. Set a system requirement and let people discover for themselves that they need a new machine.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2006, 04:03 PM

You don't really want to run it on any PowerBook, it's way too slow on them.
The demo runs acceptably on my 1.67Ghz PB with the 64MB Video card and 1GB RAM. I process Canon 10d files with it.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2006, 04:04 PM

Happens all the time. If I want to install Vista on my Duron 700 (Which runs XP fine), I'm SOL. If I want to burn DVD's on that machine, I'm SOL....

So I just turned it into a Linux fileserver.

P
Nov 12, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post

The GMA 950 is a reasonably modern chip that is hampered by the fact that it doesn't have hardware T&L. This means that for some things where the hardware T&L is not used and some of the more modern features in OpenGL/Direct X are, it will indeed beat a Geforce4 Ti. In general this is not the case - the Ti has 8 pixel pipes in addition to the hardware T&L - but some of the hardware is old enough that the CPU has to handle some the tasks that a GMA 950 can do.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
OK, here's the real deal: you don't wanna run Aperture on a 1GHz PowerBook. You don't really want to run it on any PowerBook, it's way too slow on them.

The only reason a 1.25GHz PowerBook can run Aperture at all is because that was the base PowerBook when Aperture was released. Why allow this? Because it would have been terrible PR to release an application that couldn't run on any laptop of the time.

In fact, Aperture REALLY needs a dual G5 or Core Duo to work acceptably fast. A good GPU is very helpful, but less essential than a good CPU. Anything less than that is really frustrating to run it on.

tooki
I got 1.5.1 to work on my 1GHz PB and it runs fine. Not the fastest thing in the world but definitely useable.
i hate project managers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules