Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Failed Mounting

Failed Mounting
CattiBrie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 04:47 PM

I have an old Emac...I tried downloading a new browser due to certain websites not working with the old Safari. It says "failed mounting" I tried the mount.app but it didn't work. Or I am doing it wrong..Can someone please help me, this computer is about to go out the window in a violent manner...LOL

P
Apr 8, 2011, 05:16 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forums. We need a little bit more information to be able to help you. What is the version of your operating system? Select "About this computer" from the Apple menu in the top left corner and tell us the version number in that box.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

CattiBrie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 05:32 PM

Mac OS X? I'm sorry...I know nothing about macs. I can workwith a PC but this stuff stumps me...

CattiBrie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 05:33 PM

Version 10.3.9

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2011, 05:36 PM

Try to re-download that file, then double click to have the downloaded app container mount.
If this doesn't work, try restarting the computer. It sometimes help with mounting errors.

-t

CattiBrie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 06:05 PM

that but now when I try to install firefox it says "corrupt image" Failed Mounting. If you have any other ideas...I'd appreciate it. But thanks for your help.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2011, 07:30 PM

-t

Cold Warrior
Apr 8, 2011, 07:46 PM

Firefox 4 isn't compatible with OS X 10.3.9. You could try an older version.

ibook_steve
Apr 8, 2011, 07:47 PM

Firefox 4 is not compatible with PowerPC Macs and only works with OS 10.5 and 10.6:

Installing Firefox on Mac | How to | Firefox Help

Unfortunately, I don't see on the Firefox web site where you can download an older version of the browser. Maybe a little Googling will find an older version download.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Apr 8, 2011, 07:49 PM

Index of /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

but I don't see all of them there.

CattiBrie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 08:02 PM

I'm so sorry tokeep bugging you about this...but I tried Safari...it says "bill of materials not found" I'm so lost.

ibook_steve
Apr 8, 2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by CattiBrie View Post
I'm so sorry tokeep bugging you about this...but I tried Safari...it says "bill of materials not found" I'm so lost.
You tried Safari to do what? Download Firefox? Can you explain a bit better what you are trying to do, what web sites you're trying to get to, etc.?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

CattiBrie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 08:43 PM

I tried to download an updated Safari browser.The one I have now isn't compatible with things like youtube or some other websites. At least that is what it keeps telling me.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 8, 2011, 08:53 PM

OSX 10.3.9 is old enough to be incompatible with a lot of current software versions. Try these:

FireFox 2.0.0.20 - scroll down to the 2.0.0.20 version.
Safari 1.3.1 + the 1.3.2 update
iCab - get the 4.8 version (32 bit)
You can find other old browser versions here. You'd have to look up which versions work with 10.3.9, or test successively older ones until it works.

For web video, it looks like you need v9 Flash player.

CattiBrie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2011, 09:05 PM

I will try them

Thorzdad
Apr 9, 2011, 05:12 AM

The Flash player that is compatible with 10.3.9 is old and many websites now require a more recent Flash player. I was running into websites that would not work on my old 10.3.9 G5 and could not upgrade either my browsers or the Flash player, without upgrading the OS itself first.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2011, 02:49 PM

I remember 10.3 had a problem with disk image mounting when it shipped on some new systems, and 10.3.1 was supposed to have fixed that. If you search the archives, you'll probably find a lot of threads asking about that problem way back. I believe the culprit was Launch Services preferences (found under Library > Preferences > com.apple.LaunchServices.plist). But you're already on 10.3.9 and that problem shouldn't be there anymore. Could be worth a shot still.

However, the others do make a good point that the latest browsers no longer work on your system (PowerPC). You'll need the older versions. I'd recommend giving Camino 1.6 a try. Version 1.6 is the last version to run on 10.3.9.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to Mac OS 10.4 which will give you access to newer software versions. Your eMac should still be able to run that. I have one myself and it's still doing relatively well. The only time it really shows its age is with Flash-laden sites, for which ClickToFlash and GlimmerBlocker are very helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules