Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The 5s Thread

The 5s Thread (Page 2)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 02:36 AM

I've gotten good with the fingerprint sensor. Interesting side effect is the lock screen becoming a rarely seen entity.

Perhaps one of the reasons the lock screen isn't seeing much in the way of bells and whistles.

I actually prefer this system. I was lamenting the lack of things like weather, but it's better (IMO) just not seeing it in the first place. The only thing it's thrown off is checking the time. I have to focus on the tiny numbers at the top rather than nice "glanceable" large type.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 02:45 AM

I also recommend using multiple fingerprint slots for the same finger.

Well, thumb, because that's the important one.

The trick is to start the second slot much farther down on your thumb than feels natural. That way, if your thumb overshoots a bit when you're pulling it out of your pocket, it'll still unlock your phone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 07:17 AM

I have only tested in-store, but...

TouchID is awesome. It is something I have been wanting for the last decade, but I didnt think we'd see it in any usable form until 5 years or so from now. Kudos to Apple for making this work seamlessly on a mainstream consumer product.

The camera view lags noticeably on the 5c (and presumably 5). No such lag exists on the 5s. Burst mode on the 5s is also awesome at 10 fps, and bursts are stored like one pic, keeping the camera roll nicely uncluttered. The 5c (and 5) only have a 2-3 fps fake burst mode, and all pix are stored individually. Here is my demo video showing the 5c lag and lack of it on the 5s, and the burst modes:

https://vimeo.com/75664844

Unfortunately, I have no update yet on my 32 gold shipping status. I completed my order at 12:08 am PT Sept. 20, just a few minutes after the site went live, and Apple still has not given me any update at all on when I should expect shipping to occur. Come on Apple, throw me a bone here, cuz it has now been over two weeks of complete silence on my order.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 5, 2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
IUnfortunately, I have no update yet on my 32 gold shipping status. I completed my order at 12:08 am PT Sept. 20, just a few minutes after the site went live, and Apple still has not given me any update at all on when I should expect shipping to occur. Come on Apple, throw me a bone here, cuz it has now been over two weeks of complete silence on my order.
Yeah, mine was ordered at 12:20am PT and Verizon is telling me it will be another couple weeks before shipping.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 02:04 PM

Just to give you an idea of demand, I have mine because only because I finished my order at 12:04.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 02:31 PM

Some of the local Apple Stores had stock of the gray and silver today, but none of the gold I want. They say that gold comes in infrequently and in low amounts, and are always sold out immediately.

I think it is a case of Apple underestimating demand for the gold, and intentionally limiting supply early on, even though some analysts now claim Apple has since increased production of the gold by a third.

Consequently, eBay prices for the gold are absolutely nuts.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 02:41 PM

There's a site which will scrape local Apple Stores.

The only available 5s is a black 16GB, and I'd have to go all the way to Michigan to get it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 5, 2013, 04:36 PM

This site?

Looks like nothing's available to me within a few hundred miles.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 05:01 PM

One and the same!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 05:01 PM

Only for the US. No store pickup in Canada.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 05:35 PM

What has Canada done to deserve in-store pickup?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What has Canada done to deserve in-store pickup?
It invented the electric light bulb, arguably the birth of modern consumer electronics?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It invented the electric light bulb, arguably the birth of modern consumer electronics?
Too bad that Woodward sold his patent to Edison, and subsequently, has been almost completely forgotten by history. If you google for light bulb invention, you will not find any hits that mention him in the top 10.

You need to google specifically for "invention light bulb canada". LOL.

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2013, 07:39 PM

If Canada can get itself some SEO, we'll talk.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2013, 10:52 AM

No need anymore, for me anyway:

Unlocked gold 32 GB ordered from Apple Store Canada, 12:08 am pacific time on launch day Sept. 20.

At order time, I just went with the free standard shipping, not expedited, which is what I always do for orders of new products like this from Apple, since they always ship by air for these anyway.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2013, 03:52 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 11:31 AM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2013, 03:15 PM

Take that, Canada!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 03:56 PM

Should be here on the 9th, though FedEx claims that mine is coming from the US and not all the way from China.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Should be here on the 9th, though FedEx claims that mine is coming from the US and not all the way from China.
The 9th would be awesome. I just got notified my ship date with UPS got pushed back to next week. WTF?

The shipment was in China on the 6th, and then hung around doing nothing until the 7th, when it got shipped to Korea. Then it hung around another day doing nothing in Korea and then got shipped back to Hong Kong (ie. back to China) on the 8th. Now it's on its way to North America and will get to NA today, but for some reason UPS is telling me the 15th for the final ship date.

It's heading to Kentucky, not sure if it's via Anchorage or not. Hopefully they don't ship via ground from Kentucky to Canada, but in previous years IIRC it was by air. Cuz by air, it would still be an easy Friday delivery date. It'd really be nice to have it by the weekend, since it's a long weekend here. Even if it has to go through Anchorage, then it could hit Kentucky by Wed and Toronto by late Wed. or early Thursday.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2013, 11:27 AM

The logistics are dizzying.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2013, 04:37 PM

( Last edited by Laminar; Oct 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2013, 08:06 PM

The bling is strong with this one... Nice lighting.

After a long stay over in Anchorage, my phone finally hit Louisville, then left Kentucky this afternoon. However, it still hasn't arrived anywhere, so I suspect it is going by ground. That likely means it won't hit its interim Canadian hub destination until the early morning tomorrow.

So there is still faint hope it could get delivered Friday - hub Thursday morning then Toronto distribution center Thursday night - but UPS is still saying Tuesday after the long weekend.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2013, 10:42 AM

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 11, 2013, 09:26 PM

I upgraded from a 4s to 5s on 9/24 after waiting about 10 minutes in a line of two...I like it a lot, but noticed it has the slightly inaccurate inclinometer problem mentioned about the web...on a flat level table it indicates about 2 degrees off level. If I out it in edge, it's about 2 degrees off level.

Anybody else seeing this? I may try an exchange this weekend if there are any at my local Apple store.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2013, 12:05 AM

Got my gold 32 yesterday. As expected, TouchID is totally awesome.

Since I don't have a case, but do have a back protector, I stuck one on the back (in addition to the screen protector on the front). The plastic back protector looks really stupid. Over the glass it's nice, but over the metal it looks really cheap. It's only temporary though until my case and bumper arrive.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2013, 03:21 PM

I think I'd enjoy the TouchID even more if iOS 7 wasn't so buggy.

I keep on having to reboot, and that makes me enter my password on things. I haven't gotten to use a TouchID purchase yet because every time there's been a reboot in between.

Cold Warrior
Oct 12, 2013, 04:38 PM

I'd try a restore. Mine never crashes and definitely doesn't ask for passwords after rebooting.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2013, 04:48 PM

I'm not having crash problems. Safari just gets progressively janky. I do a killall and reboot when I get sick of it.

AFAICT, it's supposed to ask for your password for purchases after a reboot. After that, it'll let you use TouchID.

I get the impression it's supposed to do this because the dialog says something like "reenter your password after reboot to use Touch ID". I'll get the exact quote after my next reboot.

Cold Warrior
Oct 12, 2013, 09:43 PM

OK, I thought you were talking about email and other passwords.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2013, 10:42 PM

iPhone 4/4S/5 - Getting to the home screen is a 3-step process requiring a slide and 5 button presses: Press home button (or power button), slide to unlock, and then key in 4 digit passcode.

iPhone 5S - Getting to the home screen is a 1-step process using TouchID: Click on home button and leave finger there for 1 sec and you're in.

P.S. Here is my video demonstrating the convenience of TouchID. (The first attempts are with a finger not trained for TouchID. The last attempt is with a finger trained for TouchID.)

https://vimeo.com/76747902

The camera rocks too. The only stupid thing is slow-mo cannot be directly exported in full rez to a convenient location. You have to do something like upload it to YouTube and then re-download it to get the full-rez sequence, which is incredibly stupid IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules