Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WTF, Toronto?

WTF, Toronto? (Page 3)
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2013, 12:53 PM

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 01:23 PM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
It wasn't. The point you made, that this has to do with his political leanings, has not been made by the article you quoted to support your argument.
The hell it wasn't. But go on, just make more excuses for being rude at the onset.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Nov 15, 2013 at 02:08 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Be that as it may, I'm still weirded out by what I think you want to say: I don't want an addict as a mayor, neither in DC nor in Toronto, it's that simple. You make it sound that it's the same people who supported Barry are now bashing Ford, ignoring country lines and decades of time which have passed since.
"Decades of time"? Barry still keeps getting re-elected. Yes, it's the same ideological block.

Gosh, the blind spots around here are, like, huge. You all have to be putting me on, right?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2013, 02:43 PM

Mayor Crackhead of Toronto has leanings? Leaning down to hit on his pipe? Leaning over to eat some...........?

His assholeness seems to be in the way of any politics.

OreoCookie
Nov 15, 2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
"Decades of time"? Barry still keeps getting re-elected. Yes, it's the same ideological block.

Gosh, the blind spots around here are, like, huge. You all have to be putting me on, right?
No, I'm just flabbergasted as to why you want to argue the obvious (that an addict is not fit to be mayor), and that you seem to think Ford is being treated unfairly.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 04:00 PM

You could argue the media is investigating this guy with gusto because they always hated his guts. But I suspect they always hated his guts because they knew but couldn't prove he was this much of a scumbag.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, I'm just flabbergasted as to why you want to argue the obvious (that an addict is not fit to be mayor), and that you seem to think Ford is being treated unfairly.
Not so much that Ford is treated unfairly, he's obviously a boob who isn't fit for the job (how did he get elected anyway?), but more amused that someone like Barry keeps getting excused (and at times seemingly rewarded) for very similar behavior.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2013, 04:50 PM

The Toronto Sun is arguably the most well-known right-wing/conservative newspaper publication in Canada - certainly in Toronto.

The fact that they're well off the Ford bandwagon only emphasizes how crazy his shit has gotten.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 05:52 PM

Seems kinda populist though, considering the T&A pics.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2013, 05:58 PM

The hell it wasn't. But go on, just make more excuses for being rude at the onset.
Ok, show me.

You wrote:

Rob Ford has not been charged with anything. He is guilty of keeping questionable company but little else that can be described as criminal.

What he wears, what he eats, what he drinks, what he smokes and who his friends are now is public. He has made mistakes and apologized.

Yet, so many are willing to swallow everything his critics dish up; oh-so-delighted to have the mayor tried on YouTube, convicted on Instagram and sentenced on gawker.com

So, is it too much for all Rob Ford’s voluble critics to have an Advil, a cup of tea and a good lie down? Thank you.
Unless I've suddenly lost the ability to read, nowhere in that quote does it mention political affiliations.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
1. Rob Ford talked about not needing to get pvssy outside the home because he gets enough of it at home. And yes he said that in public using that word on camera in front of reporters. The look of some of the reporters' faces was priceless.

2. I'll have to find the late show clips. Apparently they went wild. Jon Stewart devoted 6 minutes to him in fact. 6 minutes! And apparently Ford's on the front page of the Wall Street Journal so I'll have to check that out too.
Jon Stewart clip:

Jon Stewart DESTROYS Obama and Mayor Rob Ford 11/14/2013 | HD - YouTube

Starts at about 2:55, after he rips into ObamaCare.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2013, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Unless I've suddenly lost the ability to read, nowhere in that quote does it mention political affiliations.
Okay, let's spell this out then. Who are his harshest critics, the people that article is targeting?
- Thomas Paine

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2013, 07:26 AM

Not so much that Ford is treated unfairly, he's obviously a boob who isn't fit for the job (how did he get elected anyway?), but more amused that someone like Barry keeps getting excused (and at times seemingly rewarded) for very similar behavior.
Ward 8, which Barry represents is full of ex-cons, druggies, extremely low IQ voters and black racists. He comes off like another victim to them and of course all of them were innocent when they went to jail. His supporters are ghetto thugs and have that typical mentality.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2013, 12:36 AM

Rob Ford's wife Renata, standing by his side.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2013, 03:01 AM

From what I've see in photos, she always seems to have that expression. I think it's now stuck that way.

No one ever did answer my question, just how did that fat moron win the mayoral election?
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2013, 07:39 AM

"Lower taxes"

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2013, 10:43 AM

No one ever did answer my question, just how did that fat moron win the mayoral election?
He's a populist, and a righty.

The Toronto population, esp. the 'burbs, was sick and tired of increasing spending at city hall. Although there is no party politics officially for city council, city hall has had very high representation from the left, and in fact the previous mayor, David Miller, was a card carrying NDP member.

In Canada, the three main parties are NDP, Liberal, and Progressive Conservative, going from left to right. (Considering that the parties in Canada are left of the ones in the US on average, the NDP would be considered far left by US standards.)

Despite being from a rich family, Ford came across as a "regular guy" standing up for the rights of the 'burbs, and campaigned on the platform of fiscal responsibility. And in fact, as a city councillor, he did some small but very visible things that pissed off the left, but did save a few bucks here and there. For example, he got the perk of free city parking for city workers changed to a taxable benefit. He also promised to do stuff like outsource expensive city stuff like unionized garbage collection. Another thing he campaigned on was subways. The city was moving forward with LRTs which are surface level trains for public transport, but he spun that to mean streetcars, which everyone who drives here hates, because they slow traffic. He promised to kill a bunch of the "streetcars" and build subways instead.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2013, 01:59 PM

From what I've see in photos, she always seems to have that expression. I think it's now stuck that way.
The Polack, as Doug Ford calls her.

Looks like she might be having issues of her own, whether drug or alcohol related is unclear. There's a history of 911 calls and physical fights, but whether the domestic violence goes one or both ways isn't quite clear at this point.

I feel extremely sorry for their kids, who are getting royally screwed over by all this. His staffers have gotten them out of the line of fire in the past (daddy was hammered, aides took the kids to Mc Donalds) but that's hardly ideal parenting.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2013, 09:09 AM

I heard the Crackhead wants to PM next.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 05:17 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 12:42 AM

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Ward 8, which Barry represents is full of ex-cons, druggies, extremely low IQ voters and black racists. He comes off like another victim to them and of course all of them were innocent when they went to jail. His supporters are ghetto thugs and have that typical mentality.
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon)[Forum Weapon][How To Troll][Ignorance Is Bliss] - YouTube
Here's the real answer to Shaddim's question:

RMR: Rick's Rant - Rob Ford - YouTube

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
The Toronto Sun is arguably the most well-known right-wing/conservative newspaper publication in Canada - certainly in Toronto.

The fact that they're well off the Ford bandwagon only emphasizes how crazy his shit has gotten.
Actually, the Sun was Ford's first public critic for his substance abuse problems. They uncovered long ago that Ford was arrested and charged in Florida for drunk driving and pot possession. Ford lied about it until the evidence was shown, and then came the first of many, many insincere, half-hearted apologies.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 01:12 AM

No, I want her to go to the police so he can be brought up on charges and arrested, what's wrong with you?
No, you only brought it up only to attack the credibility of the woman accusing him.
Is Toronto so screwed up that a woman can't go to the police and fill out a report?
No, and I never said it was. I said women who go to the police are still accused of being liars. I didn't suggest that the police would do the accusing.

In fact, I can't ever recall ever hearing a police officer call a woman a liar following an accusation in my lifetime, though I'm sure it used to happen a lot in the past.
Yes it is, everything I write tends to get warped in your mind, there are a few of you like that around here.
If there are "a few," I submit that you are the problem, not us.
More often than not you fail at understanding what I'm saying, unload with both barrels, and then you disappear for a while. It's a recurring pattern.
I'm a busy person. Can't be here every day. I unload with both barrels when deserved.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 01:23 AM

I have to say, this guy has become my favorite Canadian evar.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 01:53 AM

You just have to watch the video of Rob Ford shoving councillor Pam McConnell out of his way. It really shows his lack of character and his uncontrolled impulses.

Mayor Rob Ford tackles Toronto city councillor - Salon.com

First, notice that he never once looks her in the eye or in the face. Not before, during, or after he's done shoving her. She's not there to him.

Second, notice he grabs her with both hands and starts shoving her out of his way, and doesn't respond at all to her even when she slaps him, but keeps barrelling thru until she falls.

Third, notice that once it's over, he still doesn't acknowledge her to even apologize. She's trying to talk to him and he just storms off. Who knocks over an old woman and still doesn't apologize? Instead, notice that he snaps his right arm away from her grip when he storms off?

He may not have deliberately pushed her down, but he did deliberately shove her out of his way, which lead to her fall.

And then the "apology" had to be dragged out of him once the city council was in session again.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have to say, this guy has become my favorite Canadian evar.
True dat, he's a riot. Also, that was a pretty weak-ass "knockdown" on that old lady, he kept her from hitting the floor.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 02:39 AM

I'd say the part where his brother was about to get into a fight is a pertinent detail which seems to get left out of the pushing incident.

This guy talks about eating pussy to the press, and smokes crack. Do we really need to tart stuff up at this point?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 02:40 AM

Also, I kinda get the impression the elephant in the room is he's not a bad mayor.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 02:45 AM

I'd say the part where his brother was about to get into a fight is a pertinent detail which seems to get left out.
No, the pertinent detail is that he's the kind of guy who would shove an old woman out of his way for little or no reason, and then not apologize after.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 02:45 AM

Your brother getting in a fight is no reason to push someone out of the way?

I'm assuming you've rushed to someone's aid in the past. Gets the adrenaline running, no?

I can see that overriding my apology etiquette for a bit.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 02:52 AM

Your brother getting in a fight is no reason to push someone out of the way?
You'd push an old lady out of the way for that? What's wrong with you?

Besides, the notion that Rob Ford would be able to help his brother is comical. His brother looks like a mob enforcer, and Rob Ford looks like the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man.

And watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNm4gCkMatU

He spends the first 1:30 mostly egging the hostile crowd on, then his friend Giorgio Mammoliti encourages him to walk away from the ruckus. Watch closely as George prods Rob away from the crowd from 1:37 to1:57. Once George's back is turned, Rob runs back to the crowd, but going the other way to evade George, who went back to get Rob's brother. He's clearly running back as a result of the crowd's insults. There's no "oh sh!t" moment on his face, he's got glee in his eyes. If his brother was really being attacked, why didn't he go back the way he came instead of going around the opposite way? Naturally, I don't buy the "brother attacked" nonsense for a second.

Also, watch the creepy way the video opens. See the black guy with Ford? That's his driver/bodyguard. See Ford directing him to take pictures of people in the crowd? Why is he doing that? Is he trying to intimidate these people?
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Nov 19, 2013 at 03:08 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 03:39 AM

Have you never been in a situation where you had to push people out of the way?

Who you're pushing isn't high up on the list of things running through your mind.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 03:50 AM

First rule of crisis management: Don't panic.
Second rule of crisis management: Don't make things worse.

Both you and Rob Ford need to learn these rules.

Besides, this is just a pattern of behaviour for Rob Ford: do whatever you want now, reluctantly apologize later.

I mean, this is a guy who was caught READING while DRIVING. He isn't making snap judgements in a moment of crisis, but rather showing no judgement at all.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
No, you only brought it up only to attack the credibility of the woman accusing him.
No I didn't, you can stop stop detailing my intentions for me, mmkay?

No, and I never said it was. I said women who go to the police are still accused of being liars. I didn't suggest that the police would do the accusing.
I believe you're still confusing Canada with Yemen, I would hope the Toronto police and Canadian media wouldn't hang a woman out to dry over filing a police report, or am I giving our northern neighbors too much credit?

In fact, I can't ever recall ever hearing a police officer call a woman a liar following an accusation in my lifetime, though I'm sure it used to happen a lot in the past.
See? Then she should have filed that report and had him brought up on charges, she's doing other women who could become his potential victims a disservice. At the very least it's irresponsible of her.

If there are "a few," I submit that you are the problem, not us.
Most don't but "a few" do. Actually, the others seem to have left AT, so that really only leaves you.

I'm a busy person. Can't be here every day. I unload with both barrels when deserved.
Nowadays, about the only time you post at all is to take shots at a couple of different people. While I'm somewhat flattered that I'm the recipient of what little time you have for this forum, seeing as you're such a busy fellow, I am worried that you've developed an unhealthy obsession. I'm not prepared to offer you any more than I'm giving right now, which is only lukewarm contempt from afar.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
First rule of crisis management: Don't panic.
Second rule of crisis management: Don't make things worse.

Both you and Rob Ford need to learn these rules.
Is there something I've said which gives you the feeling my argument has been this video clip qualifies as an example of a well managed crisis?

If I did, I guess that would explain the lecture, as that's not the point I'm trying to make however, it's not really relevant.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 06:13 AM

I think what repels many from Ford is his lack of emotional control. I think people naturally distrust people who seem to lack emotional control, as people do not make good judgements/decisions when their emotions are flaring, nor are they otherwise at their best. These kinds of difficulties can lead to self-destructive behavior too, it certainly seems like Ford is self destructing.

If the only strike against him was the crack, and he had the ability to seem like he can control his emotions ala somebody like Obama/Clinton/Bush, I would hope that his "I'm only human, forgive me" would win over some more hearts and minds, but obviously there is enough incriminating other things against him that I wouldn't want him as my mayor.

I don't really understand the Ford defenders at this point.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 06:34 AM

Obama got away with eating puppies.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2013, 08:26 AM

Also, I kinda get the impression the elephant in the room is he's not a bad mayor.
He's a terrible mayor. He whines and bullies and lies and deflects. His ideas re city planning are so shit, he's being continuously and openly ridiculed. His staff has fled.

Rob has always been the runt of the Ford family litter. Drugs, alcohol, a bad temper, a pathological lier - it goes back to his teenage years. This was supposed to be his redemption. He ****ed that one up too.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 11:15 AM

Yes he's an awful mayor. But then again he did what basically everyone thought was impossible, which is to get the federal government to contribute hundreds of millions of dollars of additional funds to the Scarborough subway. However, the reason he managed this is that the federal finance minister is a family friend.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 03:57 PM

What exactly has he done in his capacity as mayor which is so terrible?

My mayor is ****ing Rahm Emannuel, so I have no sympathy towards complaints about bullying.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2013, 08:33 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2013, 01:34 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2013, 02:16 AM

TBH, Ford actually made changes they could believe in, before the crack smoking surfaced.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2013, 04:36 PM

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2013, 09:24 PM

Nice.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2013, 01:51 PM

Phileas