Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new hardrive=all old stuff gone?

new hardrive=all old stuff gone?
wake266
Oct 29, 2006, 11:32 PM

If i was to up grade my macbooks hardrive from its stock to something else, would i lose my old data(i cant seem to find the cds includined with th comp, but with some motovation i could find them). Is there a process to copy all the data from one hard drive to another? and finnaly
how big of a hard drive can i get? the book is pretty skinny so it doesnt seem like it could hold that much.

Thanks

wake266  (op)
Oct 29, 2006, 11:50 PM

Home & Home Office: 120 GB 7200 RPM WD Caviar SE16 Serial ATA Hard Drive
also, is this compatible, it seems like a great price, although it is from dell, which could have some problems.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 12:07 AM

No, that hard drive is not compatable. It's a desktop drive, not a laptop drive. Try this one from NewEgg.com if you want a 120 gig. More expensive, yeah, but this one will actually fit in the MacBook, which is always a good thing.

You can make an image out of your disk using Disk Utility and put it on another Mac, then copy it over to your new disk once you do the swap. Or you can get an external firewire drive for your old disk, and do the transfer directly (without the need for a second computer). Any of these will work.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 07:20 AM

All of the information in your computer is stored in the hard drive. It is a good idea to just copy everything from the old hard drive to the new one. Carbon Copy Cloner is a good program to take care of this for you.

Bombich Software: Carbon Copy Cloner

Any Serial ATA 2.5" hard drive will fit/work. Newegg.com is a good place to get one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules