Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HDTV shopping... Samsung vs Sony

HDTV shopping... Samsung vs Sony
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2012, 08:33 PM

Im in the market for a new one, but don't want to break the bank.

From my research I've narrowed it down to Sony or Samsung.

I'm hopinforgo get a 32-42", LED.

Samsung tends to be a bit cheaper, but I'm not keen on doing business with them. Sony has the brand recognition.

Any advise/suggestions?

Cheers

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2012, 08:57 PM

What do you have against Samsung?

Sony stuff is consistently overpriced IMO.

Edit: and I'm not sure of the current situation, but as of a year ago Samsung made the best flat-panels.

P
Nov 8, 2012, 01:06 AM

I think there was a recent thread on this in the Lounge, but briefly what I said there: Samsung used to make great panels. More recently they have had a problem with clouding on their ultrathin panels after some time (basically the diffuser heats up, expands och becomes wavy, which causes the apparent backlight to become uneven). This is not considered a defect by Samsung, so you can't replace them. For this reason I avoided Samsung. Sony was just too expensive.

Personally I bought a Sharp 52" about a year ago that I'm very happy with. Before that I had an LG, and that was my second choice this time around. They make very good IPS panels, but beware of panel lotteries on the lower end models.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2012, 04:23 AM

I would highly recommend a Panasonic plasma TV.

They are incredibly awesome for the price. That is all.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

P
Nov 8, 2012, 06:46 AM

True, but only from 50" and up. The remaining 42" models are lower spec.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2012, 06:51 AM

Ahhh, I didn't know that. I went with 50".
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2012, 10:23 AM

I think Sony's quality has decreased slightly in the last few years while Samsung's has risen. I bought a 52" Samsung 7-series TC two years ago on Amazon.com and it's great. If I were in the market today I'd take a serious look at Vizeo and Samsung but I'd wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2012, 11:09 AM

Always been a bit partial to the sony brand. I ended up picking up a Sony KDL42EX440. Size and price was right(42", $580). It is LED backlit, and is thin & light. One minor disappointment was that the tv does now swivel at all on its stand. I was tempted to look at the VIZIOs, cause their prices were so attractive, but i was uncertain about their quality, so i went with a known brand.

Yeah i was thinking of waiting for black friday, but decided to avoid the rush and sold out stock,etc.

Well, ive left my PS3 back in Oz and need something to hook up my external HDD to the TV. Any sugestions, apart from a second PS3(i hate doubling up on this kind of stuff.).

Cheers for the advise ppl.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Well, ive left my PS3 back in Oz and need something to hook up my external HDD to the TV. Any sugestions, apart from a second PS3(i hate doubling up on this kind of stuff.).
Cheers for the advise ppl.
Boxee Box - discontinued now but I love mine and the prices have dropped as retailers start clearing them from shelves.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2012, 03:16 AM

Can't go wrong with Sony. I built an HTPC and use XBMC on my TV but I strongly recommend The Popcorn Hour. Boxee is attractive (and I skinned my XBMC to look like Boxee's UI) but it's a box with no storage other than USB or SD card IIRC. Those Roku boxes look ok but they're best for streaming content vs. ripping content from the library or RedBox.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 05:42 AM

This is the first im hearing about boxee and roku, guess i was pretty content with my ps3.

Lets see, my main requirement for such a device is to be able to hook up an external usb hd. A nice menu system to browse folders and obviously the price.

The boxee is around $170, i can prolly get my ps3 from oz for around $120.... So yeah. Anything less than $120 would be ideal.

I have to research these devices a lot more. I like the size n design of the roku, but not impressed with the fact that i have to get an account with them to use the device, and the menus left a lot to be desired.

I might be a bit old fashioned, but id like my tv to be independent of my computer, so i dont want to have to run a server on my computer to be able to use my usb hd on my tv.(hence no apple tv)

Cheers

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2012, 12:52 PM

I'm in the market for a new TV. I've been a loyal Sony consumer, but the reason I need a new TV is because the current Sony TV I have is failing. One of the chips which powers part of the display is failing, so I get a giant white stripe on the screen sporadically. So, all that said, I'm not convinced Sony is "the best" any more, so I'm open to suggestions. Current TV is 42", definitely need the new one to be at least that big, I wouldn't mind even larger.

Any suggestions? Wait a week till Cyber Monday?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2012, 03:13 PM

Sorry to hear about your Sony(How old is it?). I saw a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal for a 60" Vizio for $690 somewhere, might be worth looking into.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 AM

Ugh.... just found a sticky pixel.

it's green component is 'amplified', so if there is any color with a green component, it shines green.

What are my options at this point?

P
Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 AM

If it's an LCD without a front glass, it is supposedly possible to "massage" stuck pixels. Pixels stuck on are generally cause for an RMA, however (as opposed to dead pixels, where the pixel is stuck off).

SegNerd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 AM

I recently decided to go 3D, and I was thinking about getting something like a Vizio, but at the last minute I "upgraded" my plan and got a Panasonic. The main reason for this was that I realized that the Panasonic would give me the ability to use my iPhone as a remote for the TV over WiFi, no dongles required. Once it occurred to me that some TVs have this feature, it instantly became a "must have."

Panasonic's app is a little "fiddly," but it is not as bad as the App Store reviews would make you think. If you are having trouble pairing it with your TV, just turn off your cellular radio (turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi), pair with the TV, and then turn it back on.

I think Samsung and LG also have apps. I'm not really sure what the situation with Sony is.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If it's an LCD without a front glass, it is supposedly possible to "massage" stuck pixels. Pixels stuck on are generally cause for an RMA, however (as opposed to dead pixels, where the pixel is stuck off).
Tried it, no luck.

Called Sony and since it is past the first 30 days (by 10 days), they said they can send me a refurbished unit with 2 year warranty. Never owned/used a refurbished unit in the past. Anyone with any experience? This has turned out to be an expensive endeavor to end up with a used/fixed unit.

As much as I have been a fan of Sony (even going so far as to spend more on their product when compared to their competitors), it is highly unlikely I will be buying a TV from them in the future.

SegNerd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2013, 07:28 AM

Since no one else has answered yet, I can offer my vaguely related experience of a warranty swap out with a refurbished Sony PSP.

Getting the exchange approved on the service web site was pretty simple, and it also did a pretty good job keeping me up to date on the process. The refurb was initially okay, but it wasn't long before it had problems similar to the original. I don't think this was because it was a refurb, though - PSP analog sticks were just not designed very well.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2013, 09:29 AM

SegNerd, Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty disappointed that my only option is a refurbished unit (which I assume someone else used and had a problem with). I've written off this purchase and will use the TV and sell it off eventually. i just hope the refurbished unit doesn't come with worse issues, because the time and effort wasted is annoying when I paid for a brand new unit.

That being said, I am very disappointed with SONY's warranty terms(which I should have scrutinized before my purchase). If they have deemed the product defective within the warranty period, why should the customer have to settle for a refurb?

I have always recommended SONY to family and friends, but looks like I will have to steer them towards Samsung or Sharp henceforth.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2013, 10:55 AM

UPDATE:
The first refurbished unit came with a(single) dead pixel. I called up SONY and they sent out a second unit. The second replacement I have received doesn't seem to have any dead or stuck pixels.

Although I am disappointed with the fact that the replacement is a refurbished unit, I have to commend SONY on actually trying to replace the TV with a zero-faulty-pixel unit. From what I have heard most manufacturers have a higher tolerance before they do anything.

While I am not 100% satisfied, I would rather have this refurbished unit rather than the new one with a stuck pixel. Also, I should have examined the new unit when i initially purchased it for such flaws within the first 30 days(which warrants replacement for a new unit).

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules