Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Jewish students attacked at Auschwitz

Jewish students attacked at Auschwitz
Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 03:57 PM

While on a tour of the museum at the Auschwitz death camp in Poland on Sunday, a group of around 50 Jewish university students from Israel, the U.S. and Poland were verbally attacked by a three-member gang of French male tourists.

Evidently incited by the presence of an Israeli flag wrapped around the shoulders of Tamar Schuri, an Israeli student from Ben Gurion University, the first assailant ran at the group while its members were being guided through a model gas chamber and crematoria and began swearing and hurling anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli insults.

"He told us to go back to Israel and said that we were stupid and should be ashamed to walk around with an Israeli flag," testifies Maya Ober, a 21-year-old Polish student at the Academy of Fine Arts in Poznan and member of the Polish Union of Jewish Students (PUSZ), which organized the 16-day summer learning program along with the World Union of Jewish Students (WUJS).

After the initial altercation, a second assailant
grabbed Ober by the arm. "One of the guys held me by the arm and wouldn't let go," says Ober, who lost several members of her family at Auschwitz. "I was afraid. I couldn't move and I didn't know what he was going to do.

"I was shocked. Although I have met anti-Semitism many times, I never expected to meet it at Auschwitz, where so many of my relatives were killed," she says she spoke to the assailants in French and that in addition to being "brutish and vulgar," their sentiments "made absolutely no sense."

"Violence was narrowly averted," adds Laurence
Weinbaum, Director of Research at the World Jewish
Congress and resident scholar for the group, who says the Polish police were not notified of the incident because the assailants did not commit an actual crime.

"But, if the two sides hadn't been separated, it would have come to blows."

PATHETIC

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1008596975996

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:14 PM

I suppose Sharon was right in telling the jews to get the hell out of france.

France will be amongst the first european countries to fall.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
I suppose Sharon was right in telling the jews to get the hell out of france.

France will be amongst the first european countries to fall.
I hate pointing out the obvious but heck with it: 3 French people have nothing to do with all of France. Like I don't judge the U.S.A. as ignorant and fantastically stupid just because you're a U.S.Asian. Sometimes I wonder though.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I hate pointing out the obvious but heck with it: 3 French people have nothing to do with all of France. Like I don't judge the U.S.A. as ignorant and fantastically stupid just because you're a U.S.Asian. Sometimes I wonder though.
This has little to do with just three frenchy degenerates. There's a whole bunch of factors involved which make my comments correct.

And what do you mean u.s.asian ? I'm not asian.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 04:26 PM

This has little to do with just three frenchy degenerates. There's a whole bunch of factors involved which make my comments correct.

And what do you mean u.s.asian ? I'm not asian.
IQ 120? Hello??

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:27 PM

Then what are you talking about? The article points at 3 French males who appeared to be tourists in Auschwitz.

And what are those factors you say are involved?
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated

voodoo, please don't derail this thread with personal attacks.

Thanks.

PacHead
Baninated

IQ 120? Hello??
Why not explain yourself instead of being a stupid smartass.

I admit I don't know what you mean by U.S.Asian - - - I've never seen anybody use that expression before, so either explain yourself, or stop acting like an ass.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 04:30 PM

Why not explain yourself instead of being a stupid smartass.

I admit I don't know what you mean by U.S.Asian - - - I've never seen anybody use that expression before, so either explain yourself, or stop acting like an ass.
U.S.Asians are the people from U.S.A. Duh.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:

And what are those factors you say are involved?
Everybody knows there has been a ton of attacks in France, and the amount has risen drastically compared to before. There's also the whole muslim situation in france, which is going to cause them huge problems in the future. Heck, there's already problems today, but it will only get worse.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:32 PM

Try "Americans" or "North Americans"

This is the first time I myself have ever heard of "U.S.Asians"

I can see where he thought you were calling him asian.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:33 PM

Duh ? Sounds pretty stupid to me, and it makes no sense.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:33 PM

Anyhow, this thread isn't about France. As there are Jew and Israeli haters in the US as well.

This thread is about ignorant racists that shouldn't have even been on that tour in the first place.

They probably thought they could get some "ideas" for later use.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Anyhow, this thread isn't about France. As there are Jew and Israeli haters in the US as well.

This thread is about ignorant racists that shouldn't have even been on that tour in the first place.

They probably thought they could get some "ideas" for later use.
Yeah , that's true. Why would some ignorant racists want to visit that place to begin with ?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:36 PM

Probably to cause trouble.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:37 PM

So what are you Pachead? I always assumed you were a self-hating Pakistani by your name, and your liberal use of saying 'Pakis. If you're not, then you should be bnned a long time ago for calling people Pakis.

As to the article, big friggin deal. i sympathise with the poor students on the receiving end, but hey, in my town, you hear the leser intelligent folk telling Asians to go back home.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:38 PM

Probably to cause trouble.
Yes, I suppose they succeeded in their goals.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:39 PM

I wonder if the KKK wll ever achieve their goals. hey, how about those mullet headed arses in the States verbally abusing Arabs?

My oh my, what a world.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
So what are you Pachead? I always assumed you were a self-hating Pakistani by your name, and your liberal use of saying 'Pakis. If you're not, then you should be bnned a long time ago for calling people Pakis.

Why did you have to bring personal issues into this thread? That should have been a private message.

BTW, "OUTFOXED" has been "DEBUNKED"

Time to get a new sig.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:41 PM

Why did you have to bring personal issues into this thread? That should have been a private message. [/B]
Why not? It sprung from the discussion on U S Asians.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:42 PM

As to the article, big friggin deal. i sympathise with the poor students on the receiving end, but hey, in my town, you hear the leser intelligent folk telling Asians to go back home.
You think I'm a self-hating Pakistani ? That would probably make me a muslim also then, no ? I think you need to brush up on your detective skills a bit.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 04:42 PM

Duh ? Sounds pretty stupid to me, and it makes no sense.
Well I understand. Now that it has been established however, you won't let it get you off track next time you see it. I've used the term often on these forums and people have been fine with it. Technically it is more correct than 'american' or 'north american' since that could well be interpreted as meaning Candian or Mexican as well as U.S.Asian. See?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:43 PM

BTW, "OUTFOXED" has been "DEBUNKED"

Time to get a new sig. [/B]

OMG, no it hasn't, unless you want to believe it has. Do a little learning, what you choose to believe is truth, is not necessarily the reality of the situation.

If anything has been debunked, it's you, time you updated your life.
( Last edited by sanity assassin; Aug 9, 2004 at 04:50 PM. )

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:45 PM

You think I'm a self-hating Pakistani ? That would probably make me a muslim also then, no ? I think you need to brush up on your detective skills a bit.

No, you missed my point. You used to be fond of throwing in the term 'Paki' a lot in here a while ago. Plus,, you're name too. Now, I know of very few people who use that term in the way you did, trying to make out it was a legitimate use.

it was all based on observing your posts.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 04:45 PM

Try "Americans" or "North Americans"
What about Mexicans? And Canadians? Aren't they North Americans as well? That's why the differentiating term USAsian exists.

I condemn the attack on the Jewish students.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:47 PM

Welcome to the world of Amerasians.

http://www.amerasianworld.com/

Mind you, Israelis are Asians too

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 04:48 PM

Why not? It sprung from the discussion on U S Asians.
Exactly! I was going to offer my shock and sympathies for the stundents who were harrassed but then the second post is all about pinning the actions of 3 people on a nation of 50+ million people. As I mentioned that 'logic' doesn't quite work. There are idiots everywhere - even if the 3 French people in question were the President, prime minister and foreign secretary of France you couldn't blame the nation of France for their actions. All I did was to extrapolate this thought on U.S.A.

Carry on the discussion I didn't mean to derail the thread, but that commend made in post no 2 had to be addressed.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 04:49 PM

Very true, voodoo. It's why I jumped in.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 04:52 PM

No, you missed my point. You used to be fond of throwing in the term 'Paki' a lot in here a while ago. Plus,, you're name too. Now, I know of very few people who use that term in the way you did, trying to make out it was a legitimate use.

it was all based on observing your posts.
Nope, I believe there was one thread in the lounge not started by me, where I said the term pakis is not that uncommon in the states, though it is seen upon as racist in many parts of europe.

And my name has nothing to do with pakis - I could care less about pakistan, and I certainly wouldn't call myself anything that has to do with that third world, dictator run dump. I've already explained my nick in a previous thread here, so a few people know what it is, and it's no big deal really.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 9, 2004, 05:57 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:50 PM. )

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 06:37 PM

Well I understand. Now that it has been established however, you won't let it get you off track next time you see it. I've used the term often on these forums and people have been fine with it. Technically it is more correct than 'american' or 'north american' since that could well be interpreted as meaning Candian or Mexican as well as U.S.Asian. See?
Cept U.S.A is an abbreviation.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 06:38 PM

OMG, no it hasn't, unless you want to believe it has. Do a little learning, what you choose to believe is truth, is not necessarily the reality of the situation.

No seriously, it has.

If anything has been debunked, it's you, time you updated your life.
Always the ad-hominem.

Typical.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Hold on a sec... we're talking 3 vs. 50?

I would've simply wet the end of my flag... and then snapped their asses with it. Problem solved.

I've been verbally abused by random ass-clowns here and in public. But I think the hysterical term "attacked" is more than slightly over-stating the case. To put it mildly.

"Violence was narrowly averted," adds Laurence "But, if the two sides hadn't been separated, it would have come to blows."

It's
Oh, but I forgot this thread is not actually about anti-semitism... it's about hating everyone who's French. Lovely.

And the band played on.
You know the word I am going to use. It rhymes with infection.

This thread was about anti-semitism. I should know. I posted it.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
What about Mexicans? And Canadians? Aren't they North Americans as well? That's why the differentiating term USAsian exists.
Americans were known to the world as Americans long before there was a United States of America. North America is a continent that has three countries in it. One of which is called "The United States of America." The correct short form is "America." It's inhabitants are "Americans" -- except for those in the United States who are "Mexicans" or "Canadians." They are called "immigrants."

Most countries have both a long form of their name and a short form. Yours is included. Would you like to be callled a BRDer?
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Aug 10, 2004 at 06:03 AM. )

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 9, 2004, 09:26 PM

If people continue to make up their own silly names for Americans (US citizens), then we will make up names for other people, and call them whatever we please.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 11:54 PM

Oh I love the French! Comic relief, effeminate language, anti-Semitism, they gots it all!
There have been over 500 cases of anti-Semitism in France is the last 6 months alone. Vandalism, abuse, desecration, etc.

What a country. They eat snails too.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Oh I love the French! Comic relief, effeminate language, anti-Semitism, they gots it all!
There have been over 500 cases of anti-Semitism in France is the last 6 months alone. Vandalism, abuse, desecration, etc.

What a country. They eat snails too.
I've heard a lot of anti-semitism in this country as well.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 12:05 AM

Technically it is more correct than 'american' or 'north american' since that could well be interpreted as meaning Candian or Mexican as well as U.S.Asian. See?
USAsian makes no sense. It�s not the United States of Asia. If anything it�d be USArican.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 12:06 AM

I've heard a lot of anti-semitism in this country as well.
Shhhhhhhhhh. Don't. Alert. Anyone. To. France's. Comparison. To. Early. 1900's. Germany. Shhhhhh.

[Edit] 200th post.

xenu
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 02:04 AM

As an aside, have none of you heard the terms eurasian, or australasian?

I knew exactly what USasian meant when I first saw it.

Are such terms not used in America?

Oh, so I'm not completely off topic, as someone said, people are stupid, everywhere.
A few redneck Americans draging a gay man behind their car doesn't reflect on all Americans. Neither does the KKK or GWB.

The same is true of a few stupid people from France, or England, or Australia, or ...
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 02:11 AM

1000 cases of anti-Semitism in one year? In one country of less than 65 million? When people get messed up in this country, it's in the news.
65 mil /1000 is 1/65000 commits anti-Semitic crimes. And that doesn't count for the silent ones.

Are you going to deny the amount of Jew hating in France? Someone pointed out that it might be tied to the rapidly increasing Muslim population in Europe.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by xenu:
\Are such terms not used in America?

No

Americans draging a gay man behind their car
Has that actually happened? I mean I know of the incidents way back when with racial issues, but I have never heard that happen recently.

xenu
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
1000 cases of anti-Semitism in one year? In one country of less than 65 million? When people get messed up in this country, it's in the news.
65 mil /1000 is 1/65000 commits anti-Semitic crimes. And that doesn't count for the silent ones.

Are you going to deny the amount of Jew hating in France? Someone pointed out that it might be tied to the rapidly increasing Muslim population in Europe.
It's possible 100 people were anti-semitic, 10 times each.

How many Americans are murdered each year? More than 1000? Should we name America a nation of murderers? Of course not.

How many are raped each year? More than 1000? Should we claim America is a nation of rapists? Of course not.

How many black people are assulted by white people each year? More than 1000?

It's too easy to label a nation based on a few bad people, and it's very easy to abuse statistics without knowing where they came from.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

xenu
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 02:21 AM

No

Has that actually happened? I mean I know of the incidents way back when with racial issues, but I have never heard that happen recently. [/B]
That's interesting. I wonder why?

I remember reading a number of years ago about the murder of a gay man in similar circumstances. Not recently, fortunately.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2004, 02:23 AM

That's interesting. I wonder why?
Because it doesn't sound or look "correct"

I remember reading a number of years ago about the murder of a gay man in similar circumstances. Not recently, fortunately.
Yes, years ago. I am sure it has happened.

But it's not a common occurrence, nor has it happened at least in the last two decades.

Jew haters have been around us for a long time. They are on every part of this planet. France doesn't have a monopoly on them.

But being there are a lot of Muslims moving there might have something to do with the recent insurgency of anti-semitism in France.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 02:26 AM

Not just the incidents. It's also their view of Jews, which isn't really good. It's like being a Jew in Mecha�not my first choice in living location.

Who'd wanna live in France anyway?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2004, 02:30 AM

Alec Baldwin.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 02:38 AM

But who denies they're anti-semitic view of Jews?
( Last edited by CreepingDeth; Aug 10, 2004 at 02:46 AM. )

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Aug 10, 2004, 02:42 AM

Creeping cease and desist! This isn't a anti-French thread.

If you want to rant about the French, start yer own froggin topic.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 10, 2004, 02:48 AM

Oh, so I'm not completely off topic, as someone said, people are stupid, everywhere.
A few redneck Americans draging a gay man behind their car doesn't reflect on all Americans. Neither does the KKK or GWB.
It was an African American that was dragged to death. Link.

You might be mixing it up with the Matthew Shepard case from a few years ago (young gay male killed in Wyoming). Link.

Not representative of Americans at all.

With that said, let's try to keep the topic on track. No more of this country bashing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules