Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Flat-screen TV's

View Poll Results: Which type of flat-screen TV is best?
Poll Options:
LCD 13 votes (35.14%)
Plasma 6 votes (16.22%)
Rear-projection 8 votes (21.62%)
Other 10 votes (27.03%)
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Flat-screen TV's
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2005, 11:11 AM

Hey all,

My parents are looking at getting a new flatscreen TV for their new house, and non of us are really sure which type is best. Which do you think is, and why?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 01:24 PM

What is the viewing distance? What kind of shows do they want to watch? movies on dvd? home theater sound? Will the location be semi-permanent? There is no best for all conditions! sam

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 01:25 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Railroader
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 05:43 AM

I prefer CRT TVs. They are big, heavy, and require a stand, but they produce the best color and sharpness.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 06:34 AM

I too still prefer CRT TVs.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 04:11 PM

I'd give another vote for CRTs. I give them low marks for coolness, but high marks for image quality, which is all that matters to me.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 04:16 PM

If I were buying a new TV today, I would go with DLP personally.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 6, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I prefer CRT TVs. They are big, heavy, and require a stand, but they produce the best color and sharpness.
I have a direct view CRT widescreen HD flatscreen.

However, I don't for a second believe that CRTs win on sharpness.

I have not yet seen a projection TV I've liked enough to buy.

If I were to buy today, it'd be a plasma or possibly an LCD, unless I could get a killer deal on a direct view CRT.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2005, 07:42 PM

CRTs take a lot of power for their screen size, they're big (particularly DEEP), heavy, and HOT. All projection TVs, including DLPs have far too much off-axis drop off for my tastes. I like to be able to sit anywhere in front of the screen and see the picture, but you just can't with a projection. Plasma and LCD have typically good viewing angles and both are pretty low on power usage for their screen size, but it all depends on who made the screen which looks better. So far I've liked LCDs best, but I haven't plunked down the money to buy any fancy new TV yet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
I too still prefer CRT TVs.
You appear to be in a slowly diminishing minority (In the UK at least).
There was an article in the media last week saying that sales of 'flat panel' TV's had overtaken traditional CRT ones for the first time, at one of the UK's biggest chain of stores (Argos Who sell more TV's than any other single retailer: link to story)
Unfortunately most of these aren't going to have been 'HD ready' as the UK hasn't announced what standard it's going to broadcast in. The only people who have said ANYTHING are Sky TV (Digital Satellite broadcaster). Who have announced a broad set of 'guidelines' for what it's going to start broadcasting in next year, and that it's going to be a DIFFERENT standard to the USA .

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 08:49 PM

If I were to get a new TV for our main TV setup today, it'd be a front projection setup, here's why:

1. It gets on our nerves when people come over to visit and start watching crap on TV (usually police shows and 80s "women's sitcoms")... - a FP setup can be set on a motorized screen that is cleanly out of site without one of those gaudy armoires.

2. DLP-RP TVs blow through bulbs (and the bulbs are just as expensive), as DLP-FP setups.

3. It's more portable, I could always take down the projector and hide it or just take it somewhere else if I needed to.

4. "PLAAAZMA" is becoming the single most annoying word in the world. Shows on HGTV seem to be all about *stainless steel* (which is really a bitch to clean in many cases), and *Plaaazma* TV... oh yeah they burn out after 6 years completely...

For a standalone setup I still like the old fashioned CRT RPs, we have a nice toshiba one from a few years back -- it looks nice, has a relatively big screen, and it didn't cost much, plus it has "zero" maintenance to worry about. No lightbulbs or any of that dumb crap.

Hanging a TV on the wall sounds alright, but I'll just wait until LCDs can get a little bigger (or OLEDs mainstream), tell ya the truth it aint a big deal right now We barely watch TV anyway
Aloha

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
You appear to be in a slowly diminishing minority (In the UK at least).
Yeah, I know. But hey, it only cost me 50p (Radio Times competition entry).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 7, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
CRTs take a lot of power for their screen size, they're big (particularly DEEP), heavy, and HOT. All projection TVs, including DLPs have far too much off-axis drop off for my tastes. I like to be able to sit anywhere in front of the screen and see the picture, but you just can't with a projection. Plasma and LCD have typically good viewing angles and both are pretty low on power usage for their screen size, but it all depends on who made the screen which looks better. So far I've liked LCDs best, but I haven't plunked down the money to buy any fancy new TV yet.
Actually, plasmas (or is it LCDs) run extremely hot. I was surprised at the heat coming off the screen and the top of the unit. I feel very little heat from the top of my CRT, but it was pretty expensive unit at the time. It's about 10 years old now. I'll buy a HDTV when Tivo ships it's second generation HDTV TiVo boxes.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 05:37 AM

Wait until the end of the year for thin CRTs to show up.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Railroader
Banned
Aug 7, 2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies
Wait until the end of the year for thin CRTs to show up.
Tell us more!

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 06:33 AM

All the advantages of standard CRTs--yes, including significantly lower prices than LCDs, plasmas, DLPs, et al.--while taking up far less space than current, thick CRTs.

Several consumer electronics companies have been test marketing thin CRT television sets in East Asia since the beginning of the year. If all goes well, they should be available in the rest of the world towards the end of the year.

OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2005, 07:50 AM

I don't have a tv.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 08:12 AM

Then what do you do?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 7, 2005, 09:00 AM

All the advantages of standard CRTs--yes, including significantly lower prices than LCDs, plasmas, DLPs, et al.--while taking up far less space than current, thick CRTs.

Several consumer electronics companies have been test marketing thin CRT television sets in East Asia since the beginning of the year. If all goes well, they should be available in the rest of the world towards the end of the year.
I am eagerly awaiting seeing this new technology.

OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2005, 09:00 AM

Then what do you do?
Think, read and surf the net.
Or I go out with friends.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 09:07 AM

Fascinating. If I didn't have a television set, I would stare at the wall all day.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 10:08 AM

I have a plamsa (42"), an LCD rear projection (55") and an LCD flat panel (26"). One sentence observations on each...

•Plasmas are nice, bright and produce a killer picture when connected to a good source, but they put out a lot of heat and I worry about screen burn-in.
•The LCD-RP produces a gorgeous picture (esp. via an upscaling DVD player and an HDMI output) but can't really hang it on the wall; needs it own space.
•The LCD flat panel is nice, but can get washed out in bright daylight.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I am eagerly awaiting seeing this new technology.

Samsung already has their first batch on the market, their 30" SlimFit CRTs, only 16" deep. Their next batch are suppose to be 12" deep.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/n...2fSlimFit+HDTV

as2
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 05:44 PM

The current generation of LCD TV's, especially those with high end video processing built in such as the new range of LOEWE Xelos panels have exceptional picture quality.

If you have the $$ I would highly recommend them.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Forum Links
Forum Rules