Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Goodbye, Old Friend

Goodbye, Old Friend
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2009, 01:23 PM

Yesterday, while far from home, we had to have our dog Lobo put down. We were on the last day of a cruise, and got a very early morning call from our son, who was house sitting, that Lobo was quite ill. He was in a lot of pain, and we're devastated that we couldn't have been there in person for him. He was over 10, quite old for a large German Shepherd, and we feel he had an excellent life, but we're both selfish enough to wish we still had him with us.

We are having a really rough time with pets this year. It hurts so deeply to lose such a wonderful and rich part of your life, but looking back, we wouldn't have missed it. The price for all that love and happiness is that eventually you have to say goodbye. I'll post pictures when I get home. What a great dog. Damn, what a great dog.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2009, 02:05 PM

Really sorry for your loss, Glenn. My dog "Mac" died this year, too - best dog I've ever had. I don't want to go through that again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2009, 02:07 PM

sorry for your loss glenn.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 02:19 PM

sorry for your loss

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 02:26 PM

Sorry Glenn, I had a shepherd years ago. They are wonderful dogs, really something. I'm sorry for your loss, best to you and your family.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 04:12 PM

Holy crap, Glenn -- I am SO SO SO sorry. I'm coming up on 3 years of Uno (my old fat tabby (some of you may remember him)) dying, and it's so sad to lose such a wonderful part of our lives.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2009, 04:22 PM

Sorry about your loss, Glenn.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2009, 04:27 PM

It really sucks losing a dog. I've lost a good number of dogs (4) and cats (3) by now, and while I'm still devastated when a cat passes, the hole left in my life when a dog goes is so much bigger.

Condolences.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2009, 09:20 AM

: \

he's in the great dog park in the sky, runnin' things like he was a pup.
ice

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2009, 11:31 AM

So sorry for your loss. People who don't have dogs simply cannot understand how much our four-legged friends are a part of our life - a part of our family.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2009, 11:43 AM

I really, really feel for ya right now.

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
So sorry for your loss. People who don't have dogs simply cannot understand how much our four-legged friends are a part of our life - a part of our family.
Well spoken. I dread the day when I lose my little girl.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yesterday, while far from home, we had to have our dog Lobo put down. We were on the last day of a cruise, and got a very early morning call from our son, who was house sitting, that Lobo was quite ill. He was in a lot of pain, and we're devastated that we couldn't have been there in person for him. He was over 10, quite old for a large German Shepherd, and we feel he had an excellent life, but we're both selfish enough to wish we still had him with us.

We are having a really rough time with pets this year. It hurts so deeply to lose such a wonderful and rich part of your life, but looking back, we wouldn't have missed it. The price for all that love and happiness is that eventually you have to say goodbye. I'll post pictures when I get home. What a great dog. Damn, what a great dog.
I know how you feel. This was my best bud Oso. I was there when he was born, and I was there when we took him to the vet. It was the hardest thing I had ever done. He was 16.

Our vet suggested a few years before that we get another dog so it would not be so diffucult when the time came. Some friends gave us this little guy, and he has also been a great blessing in our lives.
45/47

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2009, 02:38 PM

he's in the great dog park in the sky, runnin' things like he was a pup.
People who don't have dogs simply cannot understand how much our four-legged friends are a part of our life - a part of our family.

Those are some beautiful words… straight from the heart.

Really sorry for your loss Glenn, you have had a bad year when it comes to pets… but rest assured the best things are still to come. Be strong.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 6, 2009, 08:11 PM

Here's Lobo when he was young-the way we'll always remember him.

In his prime he weighed about 100 pounds, and stood tall enough for his chin to rest on the kitchen table without any effort.

He was smart and caring, and knew when to be particularly gentle. One time we were at our son's summer camp, having just dropped him off. This was when he was around 12-13 months old. My wife, Cathy, was walking Lobo around the grounds to get him used to being around lots of people (not a big problem for him), when a lady with a little girl who was maybe 18 months old herself, asked if she could "pet the puppy." He was really big even then, and the mom was hesitant, but she said OK. The little girl leaned forward to wrap her arms around his neck as he stood there, but she fell forward. Lobo dropped into a down (lying on his side) and caught the little girl, cushioning her fall. He licked her whole face with one swipe, and the mom was pretty freaked out, but the dog turned a potential fall into a big snuggle for the girl. That's the kind of dog he was.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 6, 2009 at 08:18 PM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2009, 08:28 PM

Sounds like a good boy. Get yourself another dog, Glenn. I would imagine that would help. There's a whole that needs filling. Another dog will do. When your ready.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2009, 08:29 PM

If I may be so bold, I would recommend a former racing Greyhound. We adopted one a while back and he's spoiled rotten. He's a couch potato.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 6, 2009, 08:38 PM

We won't be getting another puppy. First off, just a few weeks ago we saved a tiny kitten from a storm drain; her name is Topaz, and you can see her here (kind of reminds me of this LOLCAT....

And we "rescued" an American lines German Shepherd show dog a few months ago. Sunny is still very much a puppy at 9 months old, and we learned an awful lot about how American show line breeders and showers operate in the process. They do NOT do any sort of socialization with the dogs, nor any real obedience work. The dog just has to look good, trot attractively and strike that silly pose-all of which Sunny does very well. But she still freaks out when a stranger, especially a male stranger-approaches her. So we have our work cut out for us to get her to act like a proper GSD and to be able to go hiking with us and such.

She was Lobo's protégé, and we're really going to do right by both her and Lobo.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2009, 06:03 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot about the kitten. I have 6 cats and that Greyhound, Ezra. Full house, sort of like the Brady Bunch.

Penguirl
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 02:11 PM

I don't know you at all but you have my deepest condolences. Dogs bond with us in a way that no other creature can, my best wishes to you and your family.

finboy
Jun 8, 2009, 03:23 PM

Glenn, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. At least Lobo isn't suffering, that's often overlooked.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 8, 2009, 04:51 PM

My wife dug out her favorite picture of Lobo today.

He was her hiking buddy.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
This is how I feel right now. I want to express my sincere condolences, but deep down I know that I have no idea what it is like to lose a dog. I've heard countless stories of how great they can be and so all I can say is I am sorry for your loss Glenn.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 06:57 PM

We just came back from the vet, had our cat Boxer put to sleep. She had been ill for the last six months and it was the right thing to do.

I grew up on a farm, so I know that animals die, but it was still hard. Even more so for my wife - Boxer was the first pet she ever owned, and she was much attached to her. Thankfully friends of ours just took in a pregnant stray cat and are looking for adoptive parents for the kittens.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 07:37 PM

My condolences on your loss, Glenn.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 9, 2009, 12:42 AM

I'm sorry, Glenn. I don't know what I'll do when that sad day comes for me and my family.
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Tiresias
Jun 9, 2009, 01:44 AM

That's very sad. But at least he had a long life.

My next dog is definitely going to be a German Shepherd.

I was actually going to get one this time round, but in the end I opted for a border collie because I have a 5 year old daughter. Despite being the world's most hyperactive dogs, border collies have extremely low breed-specific aggression.

Tiresias
Jun 9, 2009, 01:51 AM

Well, seeing as we're posting pics...

And the answer is yes: he is every bit as crazy as he looks.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2009, 02:08 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss, Glenn. I know how it feels to lose a dog while out of town. I lost my dog of 9 yrs while in San Antonio for 4th of July last year, but my parents didn't tell me until I got back. Which I guess was good because it didn't spoil my trip.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Forum Links
Forum Rules