Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > mkv to xbox360

mkv to xbox360
sadpandas
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2010, 03:04 PM

Hi guys, i have some mkv files (h.264) that i would like to stream over to my xbox 360 using connect360. I tried using the PERIAN + Quicktime playerPRO method to just encode the audio that people seem to be using but for some reason my 'EXPORT' option is grayed out in QTpro. Is there anyone here who has actually used any of the video converter suites that are available on the market? Also, i would like to keep the hd video quality and not compress the video at all. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
P
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Cold Warrior
Jul 3, 2010, 03:09 PM

What about handbrake?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 04:23 PM

Do you need to change the audio or just the container? If the latter, all you're looking for is a remuxer. The former complicates things.

The OP doesn't want to recompress the video, so HandBrake is not the right tool.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2010, 04:33 PM

Handbrake with the limited settings i have experimented seems to over compress files and introduce blocking. I really want to take the 5.1 audio in the container and make it 2 channel (for xbox360) and maintain the video. Just got Aimersoft's TOTAL MEDIA CONVERTER. I am running a test now and hoping that compressing video on the intel mac will be way faster than using the G5 which i use to stream from. It's adding an extra step to the process now by having to put the file onto a hardrive and bring it out to the studio to do the compression then bring it back in, etc. anyway, i will keep you posted and thanks to both of you for replying so quickly. I love how the Perian + QTPro method seems so damn easy for people that are getting it to actually work.

p
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2010, 04:47 PM

2 hours to go with the settings i am using. i will let you know how it comes out.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 05:55 PM

If it's taking 2 hours it's recompressing the video not passing it through.

I you really want to preserve the video use mkvtoolnix to demux, reencode the audio with something (maybe even quicktime), and then mux with subler.

If you're ok with recompressing the video then you should be able to do it in HandBrake without introducing blocking. The High Profile preset (minus the AC3 passthrough track) is a good starting point.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 06:01 PM

Just convert it to mpeg... Takes about 30 minutes for me to do an hour of HD video via Handbrake.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Just convert it to mpeg... Takes about 30 minutes for me to do an hour of HD video via Handbrake.
Not sure how you can say it takes x time unless you know the CPU type and count. Your computer may do it in 30 minutes but another may take half a day...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 06:37 PM

It shouldn't take too long on any Intel Mac, 2.66 GHz C2D here (haven't done it on my iMac yet).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Depends heavily on your settings... on the same machine I can get 6 fps or 400 fps in HandBrake with the same source video.

"Just convert it to MPEG" doesn't mean much, MPEG is a whole family of standards and the video track is already MPEG 4/AVC.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2010, 10:27 PM

I just use "Normal." But I know what you mean.

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2010, 07:11 PM

Awesome answers guys and people say we only post when we are bitching and complaining yet here we are actually problems solving . Ok, so after taking the .mkv and compressing the contents using total media converter there were some problems. some stuttering occurs on play back and happens in the exact same spots so it can't be the streaming. I will try that 3 step method mentioned up above with the same mkv, might as well be my test mule. What's even worse guys, and kind of hard to admit is that i worked for an authoring and encoding house here in l.a. we even came up with some of the tech for BD live. Too bad that scene is on it's death bead and some people will skip blu ray althogether if and when streaming get to an 'acceptable' time frame. We had a long run with sd but when the hd/br hit we kind of all saw the writing on the wall. kind of like when Divx (discs) were being sold at Circuit City. So, this is kind of a noobish question when given full disclosure. I didn't work on that side of the company btw . Lately I started seeing more .mkv files with better resolutions so i started getting into them as they would be the best source to start from when wanting to stream hd content to my xbox. Ok, guess i should start this again and see what happens. I just really want this to work because a lot of downloadable content when streamed looks terrible and i understand the many reasons for the problem but this container could be the answer. maybe?

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2010, 07:21 PM

mduell, have you noticed when using handbrake you are losing a lot of quality on playback of the 2nd gen? I was trying to use subler when using the QTPro and perian combo but the export option was always greyed out and never selectable. I loaded the project up in QTPRO with Perian then wanted to export the video to an avi and ONLY reencode the audio (5.1 to 2ch) therefore making it the best option for my particular needs. I just can't seem to catch a break here, i have seen people do it on youtube but not me. I tried trouble shooting everything to make sure it wasn't a QTPro settings issues or something really small like moving the sliders but, still, no option for exporting. I think your way of using the mkv demuxer might be the fastest way instead of having to do go through the total media convertor every time. I will let you know how it goes and thanks again guys, i really appreciate the efforts.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sadpandas View Post
I just really want this to work because a lot of downloadable content when streamed looks terrible and i understand the many reasons for the problem but this container could be the answer. maybe?
The container is only really relevant to compatibility and a few features. You can stick a good video stream or a crappy one in MP4/MKV/etc.

mduell, have you noticed when using handbrake you are losing a lot of quality on playback of the 2nd gen?
Not with reasonable settings and quality sources.

I was trying to use subler when using the QTPro and perian combo but the export option was always greyed out and never selectable. I loaded the project up in QTPRO with Perian then wanted to export the video to an avi and ONLY reencode the audio (5.1 to 2ch) therefore making it the best option for my particular needs. I just can't seem to catch a break here, i have seen people do it on youtube but not me. I tried trouble shooting everything to make sure it wasn't a QTPro settings issues or something really small like moving the sliders but, still, no option for exporting.
I wouldn't touch QTPro with a 10 foot pole. You can sometimes kinda do some neat things with it (like a series of gifs into a movie), but it's generally just a bag of hurt and poor results.

I think your way of using the mkv demuxer might be the fastest way instead of having to do go through the total media convertor every time. I will let you know how it goes and thanks again guys, i really appreciate the efforts.
The right way is mkvtoolnix to demux, reencode the audio with something (maybe even quicktime), and then mux from the elementary streams (not from the mkv) with subler. It's a lot of manual steps, but it should all be pretty quick and the video is unchanged.

The easy way is HandBrake. I don't really know what the xbox360 kids are using these days, but the High Profile preset (minus the AC3 passthrough track) is probably a good place to start.

Forum Links
Forum Rules