Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 2 Questions about OS X CD's

2 Questions about OS X CD's
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2011, 06:30 AM

Hello I have 2 quick questions about OS X Install CD's.

1 - i bought an MacBook before I left the states to study in UAE, and now the system is overwhelmed, and I want to dump it and re-install everything. I do not have the install CD's the guy did not give them to me, he said he wanted to keep them, at the time I did not think about it now it should have been a flag, but anyways the MacBook is great don't get me wrong I have no problems with it what so ever, just want to clean it up a bit.

2 - OK I know there is a new OS X lion coming out who knows when I know that you will have to D/L it from the app store (which I think is absurd) but that is another way of big brother to control you are they going to be able to make a DVD copy of the d/l file or if every time you want to clean house you have to D/L 3 gigs of data ?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2011, 06:58 AM

are they going to be able to make a DVD copy of the d/l file (…)
Many people has been doing this with flash drives and (Lion) builds previous to the upcoming retail version.

Also, Lion might add support for a recovery partition as part of the OS installation.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2011, 02:49 PM

Nassifer, what do you mean 'the system is overwhelmed'? Is it slow? Does it work normally when you reboot, and then slow down? How much memory do you have? If just the original 2Gs, the machine will slow to a crawl very soon. 4Gs is much better, but if you put 8 in there it'll fly. Also download and run the free maintenance app Onyx Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate.com and run it. Before doing this reboot in Safe mode by holding down the Shift key, this cleans up some stuff and boots without all the startup items so the computer is running lean.

It is very rare that slowdowns are due to OS problems necessitating a re-install. It's never happened to me, but I had slowdowns with 4 Gs of RAM, upping it to 12 on my iMac did the trick.

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2011, 05:48 AM

It is not that the system is slow it is a mAcBook 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs ram. I just have so much junk on here that I do not use like Paralles, and i installed xCode nad now I can not get back the 10 gigs that it took from me, so I am just wanting to clean house and no one seems to be able to tell me how to uninstall xcode, I have done all that I have found here and online and it is still there, I d/l from istore that is the problem I belive.

Any suggestions would be great though I do use CleanMy Mac on a regular basis, and will try onyx too.

thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nassifer View Post
Any suggestions would be great though I do use CleanMy Mac on a regular basis, and will try onyx too.
a suggestion, yes:

Stop using that snake oil. It's slowing down your computer.

I'm serious: If you're using those tools to clean up caches, you're forcing the computer to re-do all the work the caches are supposed to eliminate. The whole point of caches is that the work has been done; caching the results makes your machine faster because it doesn't have to do it over all the time.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2011, 08:00 AM

What he said.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2011, 09:37 AM

...no one seems to be able to tell me how to uninstall xcode...
Apparently, XCode has a command line tool to uninstall itself. Try this in Terminal:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2011, 11:56 AM

no one seems to be able to tell me how to uninstall xcode, I have done all that I have found here and online and it is still there, I d/l from istore that is the problem I belive.
Really? Msuper69 gave you the answer here.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules