Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Click2Flash + Lion

Click2Flash + Lion
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 04:28 PM

So I was annoyed when Click2Flash didn't work with Lion. Come to find out, the click2flash web page is obsolete, and your supposed to get the plugin from apple's safari extension page from now on. They should really note that on their website.

Anyway, it installs and works great.
EXCEPT.
The gear menu is gone, how do I access all the items that used to be in the menus. Like loading all flash on a site, adding domains to the white list, etc?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 05:51 PM

Right-click on the page.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 09:20 PM

Nothing related to click2flash, right clicking on the page or on the flash box itself.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2011, 10:03 PM

With the CTF Safari extension, you could see a ClickToFlash Preferences... option in the context menu when you right click on any page with Flash content. That will bring up it's preferences, allowing you to set visibility for menu options like whitelisting and such.

ClickToPlugin/ClickToFlash Safari extensions

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 18, 2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
So I was annoyed when Click2Flash didn't work with Lion. Come to find out, the click2flash web page is obsolete, and your supposed to get the plugin from apple's safari extension page from now on. They should really note that on their website.
"They" are two separate people. The Safari extension (from the extensions gallery) is published by a completely separate person from the old extension that has its own website. I agree it's confusing though!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2011, 01:20 PM

I would love it if this capability were to be built into Safari like it is in Chrome.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2012, 09:55 PM

I keep going through the cycle of installing the Click2Flash extension on both of my Macs, because pages with 19 flash objects kill my browser. Then I fight with the Click2Flash extension for a while. Then I delete it because it sucks so bad. The Click2Flash plugin was vastly superior to the extension. WIth an easy click, you could blacklist or whitelist entire domains. With the extension, you can only block or allow specific individual flash objects. That's practically useless. I hate how flash kills my battery, but I hate the Click2Flash Extension even more. That guy and the Click2Flash plugin guy should really collaborate.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2012, 10:23 AM

Why not disable Flash when you're on battery power then, l008? That seems like an easier solution than all the plugin add-on BS you're dealing with now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2012, 11:21 AM

Because there are necessary flash objects everywhere. I would be crippled without them. The problem is the 19 OTHER flash objects on the page, in addition to the 1 legit one. And while most of the unwanted flash are ads, I am strongly AGAINST adblockers. To block ads is attack the very foundation of free-to-use websites. But when there is a sea of flash on a page, that's a whole different ball game in my opinion.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2012, 05:29 AM

The problem seems to be getting worse. I've been using my laptop more lately (instead of my desktop) and I'm noticing the flash process going crazy A LOT. By going crazy, I mean it will be using a TON of CPU, even with there is nothing going on, except maybe a few flash ads. It got so bad, I did move the flash plugins to my desktop. I saw immediate relief. But now, hulu.com and even the hulu desktop app will not work. All this flash misery could easily solved by a resurrection of the old clicktoflash 'plugin' (or by more HTML5 video). Nothing turns you against flash like an 8 hour laptop battery lasting about 2 hours.

P
Feb 10, 2012, 06:45 AM

Chrome has its own built-in Flash. If you uninstall Flash completely, you can use Safari when you don't want Flash and Chrome when you do. Note that uninstalling it in some cases works better than blocking - when blocking, you report that you have Flash but then refuse to load it, but when it's not there, you often get a fallback (essentially all ads work like that).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Chrome has its own built-in Flash. If you uninstall Flash completely, you can use Safari when you don't want Flash and Chrome when you do.
This works best.

Forum Links
Forum Rules