Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > question about iphone 3g

question about iphone 3g
macrocks
Jun 15, 2008, 06:19 PM

hey i would like to know what would be the best time to go buy the iphone 3g. i am planing on going to my local att store on the day the iphone comes out. but should i get there before it opens

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2008, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't bother. People did that for the first-gen iPhone but it wasn't crazy like some thought it'd be. Not like that chick on YouTube who bought $5k worth and planned to sell them on Ebay for x2 the value, then it turned out nationwide that there was plenty of demand.

Just walk in whenever you have time.

macrocks  (op)
Jun 15, 2008, 06:46 PM

thanks i just wanted somebody else's opinion because i want to get one the day the iphone comes out.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2008, 09:46 PM

I'll be on vacation at that time, but I plan to drop into an AT&T store and just see if they have them available that evening. I'm not waiting in a line for this, I don't have time.

I really wish I could order online from Apple. I'm annoyed they sold out to AT&T on this issue.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2008, 10:31 PM

We'll know closer to the release date. They probably won't do that 6PM launch thing again, but this time they have to activate them in store. If there are any complications with that, then we might have a big fiasco.

I'm planning on swinging by after work and seeing what is going on. I'll wait in line for an hour or so, but any more then that and you can forget it. I'll just wait until the next day or whenever they are available again.

I'm not going to camp out or do anything stupid.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

-Q-
Jun 16, 2008, 01:50 AM

Aye, as Ort888 said, I won't be queueing up too long or anything, but I'll swing by on the release day to see what it's like. If it's pandemonium, or the activation process takes too long, I'll come back another time.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 08:31 AM

AT&T can't be that stupid to have a 15 minute activation process. They also have to realize that unboxing an Apple purchase is half the fun. If some grubby 16 year old takes out my new iPhone and gets his fingerprints all over it, it will definately lessen the unboxing experience.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 09:13 AM

I'm going to wait. Last year was crazy to see people lining up for the iPhone, only to find out that after the stores closed, most still had plenty in stock for the weekend.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2008, 10:00 AM

My co-worker drove by the AT&T store near his house 3 or 4 times. Later that night, the crowd was gone--walked in, bought 2 brand new iPhones, walked out a happy man. Patience sometimes pays off.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 10:30 AM

I'll wait, if its anything like last year, its not worth the hassle. a week or two later, and there's no crush of people.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 02:05 PM

I'm going to gauge the first-day pandemonium and go two or three days later when I can stroll in and out without feeling like a piece of livestock.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 05:07 PM

Depends on where you live. In Colorado Springs, There was a crapload of people waiting in line because there are only about 6 AT&T stores in the south half of the state, and 5 of them are in Colorado. I got iPhone 20 out of 20 and sold it to the next guy in line for quite a premium. I arrived at the store at around 10 that morning. In Denver though, there was plenty of supply, one Apple Store ran out, but that was the only one that I heard about. If you have a day off though and want to wait in line though, it can be a blast. I had a ton of fun hanging out with other Apple fans. We played football in park across the street for a while and did some other stuff.

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 05:15 PM

in my area there is a good amount of people that have iphones but i think it wont be that bad plus i am going to be at the att store when it opens so i will see what happens i guess

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2008, 05:24 PM

With the 2.0 software coming to the first gen phones, I don't waiting a little bit and not have to deal with crowds or wait.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 11:00 PM

realy i guess it just depends on where you live.but either way i going to be at the att store when it opens because i cant wait to get this phone

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 16, 2008, 11:17 PM

No line sitting here either...I'll just upgrade my phone when the software comes out. I probably missed the peak selling window, but I'll eventually get around to selling my jailbroken 8 GB on eBay without upgrading it (I'll let the buyer worry about that).

macrocks  (op)
Jun 16, 2008, 11:30 PM

jailbroken iphones sell for more on ebay

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2008, 07:53 PM

I already have an 8 GB iPhone. I'm going to upgrade to software version 2.0, make sure I'm satisfied with the whole MobileMe email/calendar/contacts stuff, and then upgrade (possibly on July 11, depending). I can wait a week or two to get a 3G one.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Forum Links
Forum Rules