Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Show off the power of your machine!

Show off the power of your machine! (Page 2)
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2004, 01:18 PM

Just joined the MacNN Seti team! So far, my G5 has cranked out 9.04 results per day, average 3hrs per work unit. Kick ass.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by osiris:
Just joined the MacNN Seti team! So far, my G5 has cranked out 9.04 results per day, average 3hrs per work unit. Kick ass.
Welcome to the team! That sure puts my 233MHz iMac to shame... 50 hours per unit.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Welcome to the team! That sure puts my 233MHz iMac to shame... 50 hours per unit.
Thanks!

50 hrs per unit is better than no units being processed!

I have 3 machines now processing, including an iMac 400 (18hrs/unit) and a G4 400 (12hrs/unit), but the G5 blew me away.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 09:57 PM

I've got a 350MHz iMac... how long should it take to see a noticable change? how can I tell it's doing anything? it looks like it's just sitting there. is something wrong?
(I downloaded the F@H client)

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by arcticmac:
I've got a 350MHz iMac... how long should it take to see a noticable change? how can I tell it's doing anything? it looks like it's just sitting there. is something wrong?
(I downloaded the F@H client)
It depends on what protein it grabbed. It could take between 30 and 60 minutes per frame.

pillojunior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 11:11 PM

i tried reinstalling the system on my emac but when it got to the part where you choose destination it did not find hardrive.
Why please all mac experts help me

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 10:42 AM

wouldn't it help more than instead of wasting precious and expensive electricity on old hardware doing 0.00x percent of the workload to just forward the $$$ you would spend on the electricity to a fund?

for me, having a pentium 500 MHz something running 24x7, would come to roughly $150 in electricity per year. i think they're more than happy to receive this in a fund.

even if your machine is already running, having your CPU's at 100% all the time draws more power, and therefore also costs you $$$.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
May 9, 2004, 03:34 PM

so I downloaded a copy of the folding executable and then duplicated it, opened two terminal windows and ran each copy. Is this using both of my processors?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2004, 04:11 PM

Go into: Applications/Utilities and open Activity Monitor. Go into the 'Monitor' menu and select 'Show CPU Usage'. If both bars are blue to the top, then you're using 100% of both processors.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
so I downloaded a copy of the folding executable and then duplicated it, opened two terminal windows and ran each copy. Is this using both of my processors?
Each copy needs to have a different machine ID, and must be run with the -local flag. Launch each one by hand with the -config flag and choose the Advanced options. If both copies have ID 1, they will both get the same work unit to crunch.

If neither client was using the -local flag, relaunch them with it. They will ask to be configured again, make sure to set them to different machine IDs.

If they were using -local already, but both were on ID 1, stop the second client. Delete everything in it's folder except the client itself - that includes the Work subfolder. Restart the 2nd client with -local -config and set your personal info, including machine ID 2. It will fetch a new work unit, separate from the one the first copy is crunching.

Note, the -local flag must be used each time the clients are launched, so they will use separate work folders. You may want to use a launch script to fire up each client with the needed flags already. Here is an example of such a launch script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh ./fold_1 -local -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9
Adjust the launch script to use your file/folder names. The -advmethods flag will tend to get you Gromacs units, which is not as important as it used to be. This flag is optional.

The -forceasm flag is recommended unless you are overclocking or your system runs hot and unstable. It forces Altivec code to be used on G4s and G5s. By default Altivec code will be used anyway, but if the box crashes, Folding will assume it was the cause and will go to safer (slower) code.

The -verbosity 9 flag causes verbose logging. Not really needed, but helpful for diagnosing problems. Folding will presently wipe the log file, so you do not need to worry about it filling up your HD.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 28, 2004, 04:04 AM

Joined the MacNN Team ...
Installed Folding@Home on my Alu PB 1.25 GHz, and it uses up to 92% of CPU, plus the fans jumped on after 3 mins of F@H use, temp jumped, and I mean jumped, from 48�C to a smack high 63�C in a matter of seconds ... doesn't really give me the impression of 'running in the background' ....

And when I check my stats I don't see MacNN as my team anywhere, and i filled out '16' in team number of F@H ... did I do something wrong ?

Go Team !!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

reader50
Administrator
May 28, 2004, 12:47 PM

It can take from hours to a day before you show in the stats. The delay is on the project side, and has been there for as long as I remember.

Welcome.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 10:09 PM

The biannual CASP 6 competition for protein folding prediction is in full swing, and the Distributed Folding (dFold) and the new BOINC based Predictor@Home teams could use any free cycles anyone has to spare.

Stop by the Team MacNN forum if you want to help and have questions or need help getting setup.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by supernovamac:
If you want my computers processor time. Pay me for it. I payed for my computer.

They earn lot of moeny on this. Should�nt i get some of the profit. If you use my computer?
Your point has merit but your grammar is appaling. I think you meant to say:

If you want my computer's processor time, pay me for it. I paid for my computer.

They earn a lot of money on this. Shouldn't I get some of the profit, if they use my computer?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 02:32 AM

oops

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 01:51 AM

So FINALLY I got the Command line version of Folding running on both processors in my DP 800 quicksilver. I had been running the command line version on 1 proc for about a year, autolaunching it at boot using the startup items in OSX, and just using Ctrl-c to kill it prior to any (rare) restarts. So I read through this forum, and decide its finally time to get it running on both my procs, I mean, why did I by this DP system again? So I set it up and everything seems peachy. Under activity moniter I see FahCore_78.exe running twice (I made sure to set up the machine id's to 1 & 2 respec.) I was using FahCore_65.exe or something before, so I hope this is faster!
Problem is....Where is my terminal window? When I launched it using startup items back when it was only on the one proc I had a window that popped up that would show progress and I could see that everything was running ok. Now it launches using the crontab script from this forum. I can't figure out how to get them (the two terminal windows, one for each client) to open on reboot now. I would love to be sure this thing is running correctly, and it's nice to be able to manually kill the process should I need to. I used to just "hide" terminal in the background.
my current crontab goes:
@reboot cd "/Applications/fold/"; ./folding -local -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9
@reboot cd "/Location/Of/Other/Client/fold/"; ./folding -local -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9
(obviously in reality the location of other client is set right, and not to what is listed above, I just didn't feel like re-typing it all in)
Any tips?
Thanks in advance!
( Last edited by CIA; Jul 31, 2004 at 02:00 AM. )
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2004, 12:31 AM

Look up screen(1). It'll do what you want. You'll have to modify your command to launch the program into screen. The man page will show you how to use it.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 09:42 PM

I just added 1237 units to the seti@home macnn team

got the dual 2.5 goin on it now

edit: why the hell does this make my hard drive fan rev constantly? that could be an app killer =/ they cpu fans are not reving at all, but the hard drive fans is goin crazy often

when i turn off seti, the problem is gone immediatly
( Last edited by videian28; Aug 18, 2004 at 09:49 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
I just added 1237 units to the seti@home macnn team

got the dual 2.5 goin on it now

edit: why the hell does this make my hard drive fan rev constantly? that could be an app killer =/ they cpu fans are not reving at all, but the hard drive fans is goin crazy often

when i turn off seti, the problem is gone immediatly
Welcome aboard.

We certainly need all the work units we can get.

...But what we need more is participation by current members. Anybody else notice that there are teams riding our heels that have far less members but are producing far more work units?

As far as the fans, I don't know. The G5's cooling system control is not exactly the defintion of perfection.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

HHogan
Aug 30, 2004, 10:21 AM

just joined with my Dual G4 500

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 12:19 PM

When are they going to unstick this thread. Let it stand on it's own.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 06:07 PM

Why waste CPU time on folding?

Use your time in SETI@Home and ask the aliens how to cure all the diseases once we get hold of them. duhh. </obvious>

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
When are they going to unstick this thread. Let it stand on it's own.
It's not strong enough to stand on it's own.

And if anything, there is more reason to leave this thread stuck than ever. Right now, I believe every Team MacNN team is struggling to hold rank because our user participation is very low.

If you truly want to see this thread get un-stuck, enlist with Team MacNN and help us hold the line against the onslaught. Recruit your friends too.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2004, 12:20 AM

I'll drop the thread sometime after the holidays. It's time to replace it with a nice new thread that's got better, more up to date info.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 02:24 PM

for once I actually agree with blakespot

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2004, 01:58 AM

This thread should really be called "Show off the power of your electrical bill".
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 04:06 AM

Well, I've just joined you guys on this to help out. I just bought a dual 2.5 Power Mac with 2 gigs of ram and Nvidia 6800 Ultra, so I thought I might as well put this baby in good use. Hehehe, sorry, typing error before. It's corrected now.

Ming
( Last edited by nobitacu; Oct 25, 2004 at 09:58 PM. )
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

reader50
Administrator
Oct 25, 2004, 02:16 PM

Wherever you bought a dual 2.5 PowerBook with nVidia 6800, I want to know. The checkbook is ready. Oh, and welcome to the team too.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:00 PM

I've had this thing running for almost a day now with my new system, but still, I'm only at 28% up to this point on the progress of the first protein. What's going on? Why is this taking me 4 days to just complete one while others are doing it within 3 hours?

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
I've had this thing running for almost a day now with my new system, but still, I'm only at 28% up to this point on the progress of the first protein. What's going on? Why is this taking me 4 days to just complete one while others are doing it within 3 hours?

Ming
maybe you downloaded a larger problem (package) or something..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 09:27 PM

My dualie 800 has crunched about 200 units in the past 2 months, but that's with seti

It's fun
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2004, 11:43 PM

I just passed the 2,500 mark a few minutes ago.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

CaptainCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
I do, but at the university, the guy who set up the macs worked for apple, and as such they have no resident mac guru, thus they have nobody that knows how to change/what the problem is.

I'm good friend's with the admin's son, and when I asked him about it, he was just glad they were going t be put to use.
Sounds like they are booting off a network server. If so you'll have to locate the server and mess with it.

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2005, 11:27 PM

if you have questions about different size work units for Folding@Home, check out http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

It's a list of all the stats about current units. Very useful if it seems someone is turning in alot more or alot fewer units than you.

The Mac client seems to take up CPU cycles ALL THE TIME on my machine, both the CLI and the GUI versions. I've "proven" it to myself by running certain intensive things, like games, with it running and with it not, and there's a big difference. Benchmark results (UT2k4, for example) back me up on it. That's unfortunate.
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules