Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp Hell

Boot Camp Hell
chubbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2010, 06:07 PM

Alright, so basically I partitioned my hard drive with 50 GB set aside for windows xp and I installed xp on the partition. By suggestion from the mac phone support I then ran OSx and dpwnloaded the drivers online so that I could run the internet etc from xp. But the format of the partition wouldnt allow me to drag files over, so I reformatted it using disk utility to FAT so that I could write, but without thinking that deleted windows from the partition entirely. In an attempt to reinstall windows on the second partition I reformatted it to extended (journaled) to satisfy boot camp but Im still getting the "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition." Basically, all I want now is to relinstall windows on the second partition in such a way that I'll be able to provide the proper drivers from OSx. Any idea where to go from here?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2010, 09:43 PM

Welcome to our forums!

What you need to do is run the Boot Camp Assistant and use it to get rid of the second partition, rather than using ANY other tool to change the partition setup. Now, the best way to fix what you've got is to back up your Mac partition, use Disk Utility to wipe the drive completely, then restore your Mac partition. Kind of involved, but that's where you are at the moment.

You should also probably just copy those driver files to a CD so you can easily access them, whichever OS you're booted into at the moment.

Again, welcome to our forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chubbell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks! That worked wonderfully, Looks like I'll have to find my Leopard cd haha but do you have any insight as to why the driver files couldnt be copied over to the partition? and I had tried a USB drive once but the response was that the files couldnt be opened since they were meant for another computer or something like that, do you think a cd would have the same problem?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2010, 07:34 AM

OS X cannot natively write to an NTFS formatted partition, though OS X can read such partitions. When you tried to drag the files to the NTFS partition, OS X told you no, it couldn't do that. When you tried the USB thingie, you had an inappropriate file format on it-in this case I think it was a DMG instead of the individual files. Thus, my suggestion to put the files onto a CD, which can be read by both file systems.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules