Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Machine Backups

Time Machine Backups
svchia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2010, 09:20 AM

Hi people,

Recently I noticed that my Time Machine/ TIme Capsule have been behaving differently.

While hourly backups are normal, I noticed that the Time Machine will do a particularly LARGE backup (about 24 Gigs) EVERYDAY!!

I am sure that I have not carried out such substantial activity to my hard drive in a day so as to require such substantial backup everyday.

Another thing is, I have formatted my Time Capsule drive (by "zeroing" it using Disk Utility) in March 2010 to start afresh since I wiped out my MBP hard drive. Currently my MBP hard drive is only 44 Gigs used but on the Time Capsule (1T model), I only have 869 Gigs of free space. I only have one computer backed up with the Time Capsule.

Anyone has the same issues?

Thanks in advance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2010, 12:56 PM

Assuming your 24GB/day figure is true, do you have any large binary files on disk such as disk images for virtualization? That would explain it.

But 11+ days * 24GB would be a lot more than the 131GB (or 62GiB*) used. How are you noticing that the daily backup is 24GB? Is it reporting that in the Time Machine menu during a long backup every day?
Are you checking the size of yesterday's backup on the Time Capsule with Get Info? Could just be a lack of understanding of hard links.

* Are you running Leopard or Snow Leopard? They changed the way the account for disk space from base 2 to base 10, "1TB" is only 931GiB in Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules