Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Working with a shared database file: Bento or FMP?

Working with a shared database file: Bento or FMP?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 11:49 AM

Scenario: two Macs who have to work with the same database file, both computers have to have access to it and be able to work on it, user "A" works with Mac1 computer on "database file" and later user "B" works with Mac2 computer on the same "database file". Given than only Bento and FileMaker Pro are the feasible apps the Macs are going to run, which one would serve this purpose any better?

I guess all it would take is to share a folder from one of the Macs where the file would be saved, but then, would be possible if it was a requirement to access and work to such file at once from both Macs?

Any hints are mostly welcome

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 02:33 AM

FileMaker is very good at that, but I will caution you that the file should live on one computer, and NOT be accessible as a file to the other computer. FileMaker has a built in system for sharing databases on the network that takes care of all the nasty problems of two computers writing to the same database at the same time.

And in case anyone wants to chime in how Access allows you to go the file-sharing route... you should read the Access manual a bit closer and look at all the warnings about how that might chew your data.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 04:33 AM

Thanks larkost. Obviously I got both of them working on the same file just placing it on one computer Public folder, which works albeit sounds like a cheap trick… I saw the Open Remote menu item on Filemaker but while I can find the other Mac on the LAN I can't see the .fp database file no matter where I place it, that's weird, huh?

Thanks also about the Access warning flag… Needless to say Access is out of the equation, while the Macs are intel Macs there is no plan to run Windows on them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules