Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Retail & Online Ti SuperDrive Info

New Retail & Online Ti SuperDrive Info
gorman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 02:34 PM

I just spoke with someone at my local Apple Store (St. Louis - West County), and he told me that they would be receiving a delivery of exactly 8 Ti SuperDrives early tomorrow. He said that the best way to ensure I got one of those units would be to arrive at the store before they open, and just wait until they get the shipment. I told him that I'd already ordered online and if I should go ahead and cancel that, he said I should probably just wait because most online orders will ship "within a few days." He also mentioned that because I was using the Apple Loan things would get messy if I cancelled the online order, and he wasn't sure exactly how that would work. All in all, this is probably good news for both the people who want to get one at their local Apple Store and those who haven't seen their online orders ship yet.
Thanks,
David Gorman
http://www.deskmod.com/

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2002, 04:47 PM

good news gorman, i'm still waiting for my online order also. i ordered that afternoon on the 6th.

and i have no way of checking the status of my order because i ordered it from my old school and they arent doing anything to help me out, ie, like giving me the order # so i can look it up online.

anywayz hopefully soon

l�k
iron sharpens iron

sunkist
Banned
Nov 18, 2002, 05:51 PM

You know, its a damn nice piece of hardware, but this anticipation is exciting. Its just like when the rumors about the new hardware are floating around, but you assured that there is some payoff really soon. I'm not sure which is more exciting, waiting or playing with new toy. Ok ok new toy is better.

-Chris

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by sunkist:
You know, its a damn nice piece of hardware, but this anticipation is exciting. Its just like when the rumors about the new hardware are floating around, but you assured that there is some payoff really soon. I'm not sure which is more exciting, waiting or playing with new toy. Ok ok new toy is better.

-Chris
hehe yes mos def!

l�k
iron sharpens iron

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2002, 07:02 PM

I waited to order a TiSD until the morning of 11/9, from apple.com online, and it's still listed as "being assembled." While I expected to have to wait a little longer than everyone ordering on 11/6, I see that smalldog.com now has "11 in stock" TiSD's, which I could order overnight now, and have in the am.

Oh, well.........the anticipation of waiting........

iBorg

sydric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 07:32 PM

iBorg:

Where did you find the smalldog info? I just checked their website and it says: "1GHz PowerBooks are currently backordered. We expect units to arrive January 2003. You may still place your order now and you will be first on the list to receive your new 1GHz PowerBook."

Is there a special link for the 1GHz SuperDrive at Smalldog?

Still waiting for my 1GHz SuperDrive from MacConnection, ordered 11/11.

Originally posted by iBorg:
I waited to order a TiSD until the morning of 11/9, from apple.com online, and it's still listed as "being assembled." While I expected to have to wait a little longer than everyone ordering on 11/6, I see that smalldog.com now has "11 in stock" TiSD's, which I could order overnight now, and have in the am.

Oh, well.........the anticipation of waiting........

iBorg
1 GHz PB G4 with SuperDrive, 1Gig RAM
GigeMac w/SuperDrive, 768 MB RAM
600 MHz iMac, 512 MB RAM

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 07:33 PM

My CompUSA guy tells me that they are at their distribution hub, but that he can't hurry them into his store!! I about lost it over the phone.... I said I'd pay them an extra $50 to get it for me Fedex tomorrow..... he said that he couldn't!

I am going crazy reading about all of these guys playing with theirs and I can only drool...
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by sydric:
Where did you find the smalldog info? I just checked their website and it says: "1GHz PowerBooks are currently backordered. We expect units to arrive January 2003. You may still place your order now and you will be first on the list to receive your new 1GHz PowerBook."
I just clicked on their "PowerBook" link, and then on the Ti SD link which still states 11 units in stock. I'm tempted to order there, but I ordered from apple.com with the educational discount, with the 1 gig 'o ram for $40 extra.

Waiting, impatiently,

iBorg

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 10:09 PM

I ordered my 1GHz Combo last tuesday (Nov 12) and I am anxiously awaiting it also. It said it would ship in 3-5 days...THIS IS DAY 5 DANG IT!! I really want it now!! Although, I woulda went for the SD if I would've known that the SD are shipping before my computer ships! Oh well I guess... It will be here soon, or at least it BETTER be! It will be my first Apple ever! WAAHOO!!!
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
---------------------------------------
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2002, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Melchizedek:
I ordered my 1GHz Combo last tuesday (Nov 12) and I am anxiously awaiting it also. It said it would ship in 3-5 days...THIS IS DAY 5 DANG IT!! I really want it now!! Although, I woulda went for the SD if I would've known that the SD are shipping before my computer ships! Oh well I guess... It will be here soon, or at least it BETTER be! It will be my first Apple ever! WAAHOO!!!
Sadly, the 3-5 days are business days, which means you're only on day 3. (I once ordered a Xserve while on a deadline crunch only to discover this and have it bite me in the ass.)

But congrats on the Mac purchase! I'm really looking forward to my TiSD (which hasn't shipped yet either and I ordered mine on 11/6 about 10 minutes after they came online).

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2002, 11:35 PM

How long do you think it will be before we see a significant price difference between the apple store and online retailers? Well before the new release, some mail order companies and online retailers were selling the top of the line models for 2600 which was WELL below the apple store cost. At that point it was almost as cheap to buy a Ti from them vs ADC b/c with the ADC you still had to pay tax.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2002, 11:45 PM

Authorized resellers never sell anything at a significantly lower price than Apple. The largest difference I've seen is MacMall's offering of $994 versus Apple's offering of $999 for the same, classic iMac back in the day.

Mail-order and on-line resellers can run special promotions like free printers and RAM, though.

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2002, 02:51 AM

I don't recall which one it was at the moment but at least a month if not more before the new release, one of the shopper.com stores, whoever cnet lists in their price comparisons, was selling Tibooks for something like 500 or more less than the apple store. I was amazed b/c this was only slightly higher than the ADC price and that wasn't figuring tax at the apple store. So as the old saying goes, never say never b/c they were at the time. I checked and rechecked specs and they were identical. I just couldn't believe the price difference.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2002, 03:01 AM

Were they an authorized reseller? It's not typical of dealers to lower their price until a new release is imminent.

I'm not saying it never happens. It's just extremely atypical of Apple to allow themselves to be undersold. Sometimes, Apple sells excess inventory at EOL prices to clear out their stock before a new release.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2002, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Authorized resellers never sell anything at a significantly lower price than Apple. The largest difference I've seen is MacMall's offering of $994 versus Apple's offering of $999 for the same, classic iMac back in the day.

Mail-order and on-line resellers can run special promotions like free printers and RAM, though.
ClubMac is an authorized reseller which routinely takes good amounts of money off of Macs...

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
My CompUSA guy tells me that they are at their distribution hub, but that he can't hurry them into his store!! I about lost it over the phone.... I said I'd pay them an extra $50 to get it for me Fedex tomorrow..... he said that he couldn't!

I am going crazy reading about all of these guys playing with theirs and I can only drool...
Hate to make it worse, but CompUSA doesn't have them, and won't for a long while...

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by BoarderX:

Hate to make it worse, but CompUSA doesn't have them, and won't for a long while...
Well, my local Apple Store has one less!

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 09:37 AM

must I persist??? Go to smalldog.com!!! You will have it no later than the 26th!!!
NO SALES TAX!!!
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by claughery:
must I persist??? Go to smalldog.com!!! You will have it no later than the 26th!!!
NO SALES TAX!!!
As somebody else posted before, Smalldog no longer has any SuperDrive GigaBooks left. They "expect" them Nov. 26. They have other models though.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 09:48 AM

yeah... They said that mine wouldn't come in till the 21st... Got it yesterday...
Even if they dont get it till the 26th, that will be faster anyway...
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

Tyrion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 12:06 PM

Just called the local apple reseller... they guy on the phone told me that they're expecting a delivery of about 100 superdrive PBs between the 5th and the 12th of december. they're also awaiting 97 867 PBs by tomorrow.
regarding the fact that i live in switzerland, this isn't too bad.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by John123:

ClubMac is an authorized reseller which routinely takes good amounts of money off of Macs...
I just checked ClubMac's web site, and they are selling the 15" FP iMac for $1794, which is a good amount of $100 ABOVE what every one else, including Apple, is selling it for! Apple resellers have to abide by a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price), per their agreements with Apple. That means they can not advertise a price lower, unless they have permission from Apple. The prices you see at CompUSA, MicroCenter, the Apple stores, etc., are all MAP prices. A dealer may sell below MAP price if some one offers a lower price, but they can't advertise lower! If I walk into CompUSA and say, "I'll give you $1599 for that $1699 iMac", and they take my offer that's fine. Of course, they're not going to do that, because they would make almost no money on the machine. They can't, however, put a $1599 price tag on display, if Apple's MAP is $1699; that goes against their MAP agreement with Apple.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules