Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone here commute on 2 wheels with their Powerbook?

Anyone here commute on 2 wheels with their Powerbook?
Lattimer
Sep 28, 2003, 09:18 AM

That's motor powered or foot powered

Just a quick survey to see how many people brave the elements with their baby onboard...I'm going to try it when my PB gets here....too bad the weather here in Iceland doesn't make for a nice leisurely ride...60 Knot winds are hard to deal with sometimes...

BTW - Would anyone like to share their experiences with how to keep the elements "off" their PB? I'm trying to decide between 3 so-called "waterproof" messenger bags. Crumpler, Timbuk2, and Chrome all have one...descisions!

Lattimer
"God bless America. Let's save some of it." --Edward Abbey
More

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 09:31 AM

iBook and 15" AL (only once, two days old :-) WaterField and inCase inside L.L. Bean Traveller Back Pack on a C'dale Super V 800 ...

Only 2 miles, but then I'll be collecting my full Social Security next year

Keep on truckin'

P.S. " ... motor powered?" Not yet, but I'm looking for a Yamie SR400/500 thumper
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2003, 09:58 AM

I'm liking my timbuk2 Ocho medium messenger bag a lot.

And the timbuk2 laptop sleeve is bullet proof (yes, it's survived a bicycle crash)

-s*

galarneau
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 11:47 AM

I've done some commuting on my bike with my Pismo. No problems at all.

As for bags, I bought an Endo from Spire. It's so much better than my Timbuk2. (http://www.spireusa.com)

The main thing I didn't like about the Timbuk2 bag was how the bag was basically just one big floppy compartment. If I put just a book or two in there, they would lie flat on the bottom of the bag.

The Spire Endo is more structured with multi compartments and a drawstring around the lip of the bag to cinch things down tight. Also has a nice laptop sleeve included. Check it out.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 11:49 AM

Timbuk2--best shoulder bag for biking.

But, shoulder bags suck in general for your back...I'm down with a backpack, I think.

Even through the Northwest rains...

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 01:30 PM

I agree, shoulder bags can be a pain. Don't get me wrong, I love my Timbuk2 bag when doing some light commuting, but when you start cramming a laptop and a couple heavy books in there, your back and your shoulders really start to feel it. A nice slip case for your laptop is a must have in case you drop your back or you fall off your bike.

The Timbuk2 laptop case has by far the best padding, the only downside is that top is open air so you can't always carry it around by itself for when the weather is iffy.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 28, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by galarneau:
I've done some commuting on my bike with my Pismo. No problems at all.

As for bags, I bought an Endo from Spire. It's so much better than my Timbuk2. (http://www.spireusa.com)

The main thing I didn't like about the Timbuk2 bag was how the bag was basically just one big floppy compartment. If I put just a book or two in there, they would lie flat on the bottom of the bag.

The Spire Endo is more structured with multi compartments and a drawstring around the lip of the bag to cinch things down tight. Also has a nice laptop sleeve included. Check it out.
I checked out the endo, but it doesn't seem that it has any inherent waterproofing...which is a must for me...it looks darn near perfect otherwise. Unless you can prove me wrong, in which case I'll buy the sucker!

Lattimer
More

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 02:51 PM

I commuted quite a bit with my old PC laptop, but unfortunatly the backpack got torn up quickly holding the system, and a pair of shoes for the office (don't want to wear boots all day at work).

Now that I have my Powerbook, I'll probably use the removable slipcase from my Brenthaven bag inside my backpack and carry any other paperwork I might need. Shoes, I went shopping last weekend even though I hate shoe shopping, and got two pairs. One intended as my normal pair here at the house and such, and one to keep at work.

I have forced myself to be strict about what protection I wear on my bike. Armored jacket, helmet (in a helmet optional state), and boots mandatory, and riding pants when I go for more then just a commuting trip. Too many crazy people out there to trust with anything less.

I'd love to have bags/storage compartments on my bike, but not sure what to go with. Seems there isn't much available for sport bikes.
<This space under renovation>

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 04:50 PM

Yeah, all the time with a BMW K1200. The computer fits perfectly inside the top case, so it's not a big deal from an elements perspective. But what is nice to know is that the vibrations and the like don't harm the machine.

:->

dialo
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 04:59 PM

I've commuted on my bike for years with my powerbooks in a spire zoom xl bag (similar to the Volt). I ride through rain and shine without a problem. I also live in the city, so I ride pretty hard. Right now I only have a hard-tail (sold my ac air lite a little while ago) and it is still so OK it never crosses my mind. As an example of how hard I ride with this thing, I smashed my rear wheel so hard the other day that the axle broke and tire blew. I've broken quite a few axles on this thing. Soon I'll have my new santa cruz.

I've also taken a couple spills and the powerbook didn't even notice it (slept right through it ). The padding is real good in the spire. I also would NOT recommend anything but a two-strap backpack. Anything else will be a serious pain in the ass.

OH, and this is with 'flimsy' tibooks.

Lattimer  (op)
Sep 28, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by dialo:
I've commuted on my bike for years with my powerbooks in a spire zoom xl bag (similar to the Volt). I ride through rain and shine without a problem. I also live in the city, so I ride pretty hard. Right now I only have a hard-tail (sold my ac air lite a little while ago) and it is still so OK it never crosses my mind. As an example of how hard I ride with this thing, I smashed my rear wheel so hard the other day that the axle broke and tire blew. I've broken quite a few axles on this thing. Soon I'll have my new santa cruz.

I've also taken a couple spills and the powerbook didn't even notice it (slept right through it ). The padding is real good in the spire. I also would NOT recommend anything but a two-strap backpack. Anything else will be a serious pain in the ass.

OH, and this is with 'flimsy' tibooks.
Has the inside of your bag ever gotten wet from the rain? We get a lot of precipitation up here, and I'm really worried about the elements...Have you put it through a downpour? I only ask because the Spire bags are really nice, and I would really like to get one. I'm just unsure about the waterproofness....thx

Lattimer
More

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 28, 2003, 07:20 PM

For a year, I commuted to school by bicycle... my trusty Pismo, Xavier, rode in my plain old Eastpak backpack with my notebooks, padded with an inexpensive but perfect Case Logic neoprene sleeve. No problems at all.

(Luckily, the only time I had a spill on my bike, I didn't have Xavier with me.)

I have a 1.25GHz AlBook on the way... I'm ordering a Spire Endo for it.

tooki

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 07:57 PM

I've commuted on both bicyles and motorcycles to school with my iBook in a Brenthaven shoulder bag. The bag is not waterproof but it will take a significant amount of rain to get to the laptop. It has a lot of padding, but I never crashed (with the iBook that is).

I will say that riding on a bicycle was more prone to vibration than on a motorcycle. I think vibrations may create problems for the laptops, as mine developed what I assumed was a frayed video wired which froze the screen and needed a motherboard replacement. But perhaps this was not related.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
I've commuted on both bicyles and motorcycles to school with my iBook in a Brenthaven shoulder bag.
Out of curiosity, how do you travel around with this bag? I'm not sure I would feel confortable with my Powerbook being in the Brenthaven bag I bought on my motorcycle, unless it was strapped down on the passenger seat.
<This space under renovation>

dialo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Lattimer:
Has the inside of your bag ever gotten wet from the rain? We get a lot of precipitation up here, and I'm really worried about the elements...Have you put it through a downpour? I only ask because the Spire bags are really nice, and I would really like to get one. I'm just unsure about the waterproofness....thx

Lattimer
I wouldn't let it sit in a puddle or anything, but I have never had a problem with water making its way in. The fabric is pretty thick and I've gone through thick rain with no problem.

ae77
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

And the timbuk2 laptop sleeve is bullet proof (yes, it's survived a bicycle crash)

-s*
whoa bullet proof. really? that'd be cool.
^_^

jindrich
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 03:11 PM

I drive a scooter everyday to work. Everytime i needed it, i drove with my ibook -put into any reebok backpack- placed in the storeroom below the seat of the motorbike. As the ibook was so small it fit perfectly, and it was travelling so secure

now i have a titanium and it doesnt fit there anymore, but i dont care, because i'm too scared anything could happen to my very expensive powerbook if i fell down or some car hit me that i just quit riding with the computer (very awful crowded traffic, with very narrow streets in the center, like most european cities)

arent you scared too?

dialo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by jindrich:

arent you scared too?
That's why God invented insurance

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Out of curiosity, how do you travel around with this bag? I'm not sure I would feel confortable with my Powerbook being in the Brenthaven bag I bought on my motorcycle, unless it was strapped down on the passenger seat.
Yeah I did often strap it down to the passenger seat, not because of fears it would affect my riding but just for pure comfort. I never liked wearing bookbags in my bike, that's why I had a nice tank bag and bungee cord for the rear. But when I did wear it over my shoulder / chest it felt more comfortable than my other bookbags and only required occasional nudging as it would invariably slide down to my side. This was especially true on my mountainbike when riding over rough terrain.

The Brenthaven is a sturdy bag with plenty of padding. I'm still using it today (no longer riding though) and I love it!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules