Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help - iBook/600 no sound AT FIRST problem

Help - iBook/600 no sound AT FIRST problem
ruttopia
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 08:53 AM

This is a weird one - struggled with a meaningful title, but here's the issue.

I have an iBook/600 that I purchased in Dec '01. It was working great, but recently the sound stopped working ... for a time being. Then suddenly everything changes and it just starts working. I mean, I boot up and no start-up chime or anything. DEAD silence (except the headphone jack WORKS). Suddenly, while I'm just working (and it could be a few minutes or an hour or two into my session - sometimes never!) it just starts working.

Here's the strange part - I was at my wife's parent's house and set up a new Network profile to connect to her parent's Windows XP computer wirelessly. That same day, at her parent's, I changed the background to this cool sunset picture. However, when I bootup at my house (or even her parent's house), I get a different background that I setup a few weeks back.

NOW, when the sound comes back on, I know because the whole screen starts flickering and the background changes to that sunset picture that I set at her parent's house. Again - at a totally random time. I'm doing something different everytime!

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Network location I setup or ... something else? It's just weird because there's no startup chime - that's what gets me.

So, I haven't done anything because I'm looking for suggestions before I start removing things. Should I zap the PRAM? Is there a .kext file I should delete? Should I just try deleting the information I setup for her parent's network ...?

Anyone have this problem or have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules