Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > need help for friend's X.2.5 on TiBook 500

need help for friend's X.2.5 on TiBook 500
tr
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 12:15 AM

hey guys,

a couple days ago, i helped a friend of mine get totally up to date on X. she was running 10.x, and 9.1, so updated her to 9.2 and 10.2.5...basically get her running on the latest stuff. i set up all her prefs for mail, and imported all her eudora mail.

so she just calls a couple minutes ago, and says that she went to go run mail, and it quits on her. like repeatedly, samething with IE, and Safari. she restarts, and everything seems okay. then, she shuts down for the night, starts up in the morning, and now mail brings up the old "welcome to mail, new user" message, like she's launching mail for the first time, and all her messages that were in mail previously were gone. IE still quits on her. she also noticed that the apps that she dragged to the dock are not in the dock, and the dock has reverted back to the default dock.

can you guys give me some suggestions of stuff to tell her to do? i don't know...zap PRAM? repair permissions?

i'd like to give some stuff to try before i get a chance to go out to her and see what's going on.

thanks,

tr

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2003, 12:32 AM

It appears she ran out of free disk space. Always have 2GB minimum free disk space available.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

tr  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
It appears she ran out of free disk space. Always have 2GB minimum free disk space available.
ahh...that may be it. the drive was pretty full. so. so will deleting stuff to get 2GB solve the problems, or will i have to start from scratch?

tr

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by tr:
ahh...that may be it. the drive was pretty full. so. so will deleting stuff to get 2GB solve the problems, or will i have to start from scratch?
It seems that's the reason. Then making more disk space available will solve the problem, but lost preferences are lost. You might be able to get back the mails by creating the same accounts again (I restored Mail's preferences file from a backup and all was fine again).

It's always good to keep enough free disk space, but if you run out of it, do not quit apps before you freed disk space again or you will lose the preferences.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules