Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What's your favorite iMac design?

View Poll Results: What's your favorite iMac design?
Poll Options:
Gumdrop 73 votes (16.19%)
Desk Lamp 211 votes (46.78%)
Flat Panel (new design) 167 votes (37.03%)
Voters: 451. You may not vote on this poll
What's your favorite iMac design? (Page 2)
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by tonton:
Seriously. I liked the flower Power iMac. I wish I could get it with a G4 inside.
If people can put a G3 in a Color Classic case, I'll bet you could put a G4 into a Flower Power iMac case. www.xlr8yourmac.com might be a good place to start.
Apple user since 1987

apollo11
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 03:52 AM

The G5 doesn't attract the same surprise from WinDOPE users. To them it just looks like a FP display and they assume the CPU is under the desk.

My G4 Anglepoise makes all WinDOPE users go wow!!

MindWeapon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by george68:
I don't know what you're talking about. It's fine. The original iMac, with the slide-out tray and all those wires, that was a pain. The G4 iMac is 4 screws to remove the lower cover, and 4 more to drop the mobo. Replacing the components is pretty easy, and you don't need paste as long as you don't disturb what's already there.

- Rob
I'll admit that the tray load was a little sloppy but neck replacements in the desk lamp model were pracarious at best.

As for the thermal paste, my understanding is that you really are supposed to replace that whenever you open it. I think it is silly but I'm pretty sure that's the "right" way. Prove me wrong, it would save me time and degooify my iMac repair experiences.

James

george68
Banned
Sep 6, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by MindWeapon:
As for the thermal paste, my understanding is that you really are supposed to replace that whenever you open it. I think it is silly but I'm pretty sure that's the "right" way. Prove me wrong, it would save me time and degooify my iMac repair experiences.

James
I never have with mine or my mother's FP imac, and they both work fine.

- Rob

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 12:45 PM

I have to say that my favorite computer of all time was the first computer I ever purchased with my own money, my blueberry iMac. I still find it more attractive than all other Macs and computers I've ever seen. Something about the shape and color elicits and emotional response from me.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

giganticego
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2004, 01:53 PM

Design wise, the new iMac is basically just a laptop on a stand, the original iMac was just a colourful remodelling of the Mac Classic, but the lampshade design was truly revolutionary. This was definitely the one to get my PC mates jealous. It's a shame they dropped it as the new design is a step backwards in functionality - i.e. being able to easily position the monitor to any angle you wish.

Also I think it is better all the ports are at desk level as there's less wires trailing about.

timrc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 10:15 AM

I have to vote for the fp iMac - you had a choice of colors. Since then, its all been a bit bland on the color front. How about introducing some color?

Still, I'll probably get the new iMac for the G5.

RTiMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
Maybe the polls will change after the buyers get them and the retail stores get them.
I'm guessing it will be the opposite. Right now the G5 iMac is new, and the hype is at a fever pitch. Wait a month or two until the "dust settles" and I'll bet the G4 iMac ratings would be even higher.

Of course I'm biased, being the proud owner of a G4 iMac (the coolest looking computer on the planet!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules