Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > [PHP] mkdir and rename on localhost

[PHP] mkdir and rename on localhost
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

I have a directory with a whole bunch of images (>1,000) with the following types of names:

Mary 1.jpg
Mary 2.jpg
Mary 3.jpg
John 1.jpg
John 2.jpg
Nick 1.jpg
Nick 2.jpg
Nick 3.jpg
Nick 4.jpg
Martha 1.jpg
Martha 2.jpg

– etc. I need to sort these into folders, so that for “Mary 1/2/3.jpg”, for instance, a new folder named “Mary” is created, and the three files are put into this folder and renamed just “1/2/3.jpg” (and so on for the other pictures as well).

The easiest way I could think of (not necessarily actually the easiest way) to do that was in PHP: strip (and save) the extension [$ext]; strip (and save) the number [$fnr]; strip (and save) the name, to be used for the new directory [$new_dir]; then do more or less the following:

Code:
if (is_dir($new_dir)) { rename($file, $new_dir . $fnr . $ext); } else { mkdir($new_dir); rename($file, $new_dir . $fnr . $ext); }
– stuff everything into a browser, and let it move and rename the files for me when I run the function/open the page.

That, however, does not work. It doesn’t give me any errors or anything, but it doesn’t actually do anything, either. I have verified that it does strip the abovementioned variables correctly, and that it does check for (and find, when they exist) the appropriate directories—but rename and mkdir seem to have no effect. Even if I put either of the two functions all by themselves and give them straightforward values (i.e., “mkdir('blah');”), they do nothing.

I’ve tried looking through various parts of php.net till my head started turning octagonally ochre, and I can’t figure it out. I’m sure there’s something quite simple I’m overlooking, but I can’t see it.

Help?

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 02:03 PM

add this at the top before the script

Code:
if(function_exists(mkdir)) echo 'You can Make Directories<br/>'; if(function_exists(rename)) echo 'You can rename Directories<br/>';
This will tell you if you can make directoires or rename them. Some hosts will disable this for security.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2006, 02:32 PM

Yup, they both seem to exist—would be odd otherwise, since it's my own PowerBook that's the host...

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 4, 2006, 06:49 PM

sometimes you need to specific exactly were you want it. like
mkdir('MacintoshHD/Users/You/Sites/'.$newdir);
see if that works.

btw. what version of php you running?
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2006, 11:40 PM

Does your webserver have permission to edit those files and create/rename directories? That's the most common issue i run into doing file stuff.

You shouldn't (emphasis on shouldn't have to have absolute filenames, but if all else fails, it's worth a shot. Make sure you have the permissions for the dirs and files correct.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 12:08 PM

Yes! I finally managed to get it right—it turns out I’d forgotten to 777 the folder where the images were supposed to go. What a dumb thing to miss for a day and a half. *blush*

Thanks, all, for helping me go through things orderly and finding the leak

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2006, 08:28 PM

Interesting choice of languages to solve that problem. I'd have done a shell script.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 11, 2006, 08:28 AM

Yeah, I would too—if I knew the first thing about how to do that

The only reason I chose PHP is that it's more or less the only scripting language I know just minimally (apart from JavaScript, which would be even worse for this)...

Forum Links
Forum Rules