Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro 1.1 overheat issues

Mac Pro 1.1 overheat issues
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 12:53 AM

I have a 2006 mac pro (dual 2.66Ghz dual core) and I am getting somewhat random shutdowns. I had the frequently when running Portal through steam, then I installed SMC fan control and pretty much solved that issue.

I just had a overheat issue when I was listening to pandora and surfing the web, which brings me here...

EVERYTIME I have random shutdowns my dual screens go black and I still hear the computer running as normal, sound sometimes quits but sometimes not... I will open the side case and see the CPU A B lights lit (above the upper ram tray) I seem to think it's the side that says "FAIL" and not overheat (just noticed this)

I also just stumbled on the ATiX1900XT video card replacement thing
Mac Pro: ATI X1900 XT video card with distorted video
Which after checking my video cards serial number I do qualify for!! (4 year old computer still being supported! AWESOME!)

So, is it my processors? or my video card?

I guess I should just exchange the card and see if my problems go away?

any similar experiences?

-Zach

P.S. Looks like the replacement is an 8800GT, which is apparently a pretty decent upgrade for me.
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Dec 1, 2010 at 05:09 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 01:27 PM

Change the card first for sure.

Mac Pro CPUs are fussy things. They might need new thermal compound applying. Apple is incredibly fussy about what they use on the Mac Pros. Its some crazy expensive stuff which is nasty and if you smudge it they expect you to get another part ordered. They don't trust service centres to apply it. Having said all that, I bumped an original MP from 4 to 8 cores and slapped on some arctic silver (actually it was probably cheaper than that) and its been fine for years as far as I know. It certainly ran 18 months without issue, lost touch with the owner since.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 01:56 PM

Just stopped by the apple store, they ordered the card and told me to make an appointment once I get a call back that the card is in. They want me to bring in the entire Mac pro so they can swap it. I did break the catch on the pci slot (DOH!) , hopefully they don't refuse to do the swap once they notice that.

They said they will run some other diagnostics while it's in their possession. Maybe they will be able to tell if the processors are not cooling well enough.

I really prefer to work on my own equipment so this is weird for me.

It's pretty cool that they are doing this even though it's a 4 year old computer...

-Zach

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2010, 05:24 AM

Its a factory fault. My guess is they are trying to avoid a class action. Or ATI are paying the bill.
Thats good service you got there. I tried to get my aluminium Apple Remote changed out under warranty yesterday and was told I needed a Genius Bar appointment. Imagine how thrilled I was about that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2010, 12:39 PM

I think it helped that I had mistakenly made an appointment for the wrong day.

Hopefully it's just the video card and it would be cool to get the 8800gt too.

I probably won't find out for another 5 days since tomorrow is turkey day.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2010, 10:26 PM

Well I got a call today that the card was in... NOT BAD! two days since I was there and thanksgiving in the middle! I am impressed...

I was asked to make a genius bar appointment for "triage" on my mac pro to see if it's only the card causing me issues...

I figure at the very least they will tell replace the card, worst case my processors are not being cooled enough...

We will see I probably wont make the appointment till monday.

-Zach

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2010, 12:15 AM

Well just got back from the apple store and I was indeed upgraded to an 8800GT. Painless experience overall, made a genius bar appointment once I got a call that the card was in, walked up with my mac, he installed the card and booted my mac off a network server to run a diagnostic and all came back clean. I was in and out in under 30 minutes and the genius bar probably took no longer then 15-20 mins.

I have no idea if this effected my problem or not, but if I never reply to this thread after this then it's safe to assume that I am either dead or not having issues!

-Zach

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
if I never reply to this thread after this then it's safe to assume that I am either dead or not having issues!

-Zach
Hopefully the later

Time to upgrade your signature

I had upgraded my Mac Pro 1.1 to a 8800 GT and haven't had the smallest issue since.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
...I did break the catch on the pci slot...
I did the same thing a few years ago when I swapped my 7300GT for an 8800GT in my MacPro 1.1.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 10:14 AM

Those stupid clips are so easy to break.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2010, 02:08 PM

I think I posted somewhere a few years ago about how I received an nVidia Quadro 4500 as a replacement for the X1900XT. I had gone through a couple of 1900's and had no faith that another would do the trick, but they weren't willing to pass along an 8800, since it had to be hardware that could have been ordered when I bought my 1,1.

So now I have this massive dinosaur of a workstation card gathering dust...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by justmetoo View Post
So now I have this massive dinosaur of a workstation card gathering dust...
Just out of curiosity, why that?.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Just out of curiosity, why that?.
The Quadro was on the verge of being an obsolete card when the 2006 MP's came out. While it has really good proprietary driver support for autocad, Maya, etc. I do not use any of those programs, and it is slower than molasses because it renders pixel perfect. Great for static work, not video.

I tried to sell it, but it was old merchandise in 2008, and I suspect Apple just wanted to get rid of their in stock Quadro's, thus my unexpected upgrade. I asked for a 8800 at the time but no go, so I flashed an ATI 4870 for myself and never looked back, till now...

UPDATE: just for the heck of it, I called Apple and resurrected my old video card case number and explained the situation as above. They're going to take back the Quadro and send me an 8800. Gotta love Apple customer support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules