Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Morsi ousted as Egypt's leader

Morsi ousted as Egypt's leader
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2013, 09:31 PM

The egyptian military ousted Morsi today. The top commander is quoted as saying the military has appointed a civilian judge from their constitutional court as interim president until special elections can be held.

There are a few issues here that warrant discussion. To name a few

A) As much as I thought Morsi was aspiring to be a dictator and should have been removed, he was still democratically elected. At least by dictionary definition, this was a coup.

B) The Obama admin just gave them a whole bunch of high-end military hardware. Doesn't this make Obama's admin look foolish?

C) Morsi's muslim brotherhood will likely not take this lying down. I suspect there will be terrorist style attacks and a military crackdown on former-government now rebel forces.

D) Will the civilian government the military plans to install have any teeth whatsoever, or will the military be running the show from behind the scenes just like in Iran? (This is the only comparison between the two nations I draw, I'm not saying eqypt is anything like Iran).

Overall, my initial reaction is that this was the right move for the Egyptian people. Morsi was arrogant, self-serving and IMO much more radical (or at least in bed with radicals) then his campaign suggested. The egyptian people have shown twice in as many years that they will no longer accept a dictator, and the military seems to be supportive of the people (though they could easily abuse their position and establish military rule if not by name then by practice). I'd love to hear everyone else's point of view on this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2013, 07:35 AM

Morsi may be out, the Brotherhood is still in control.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
D) Will the civilian government the military plans to install have any teeth whatsoever, or will the military be running the show from behind the scenes just like in Iran? (This is the only comparison between the two nations I draw, I'm not saying eqypt is anything like Iran).
Isn't that more like Pakistan?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2013, 12:03 PM

I've been giving this thought on and off every time it comes up int he news, and given our history I have this strange feeling the CIA encouraged this coup.

On a tangent, I can't imagine if the US were forced to do what Egypt was doing (pre coup) it'd be any less contentious.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2013, 01:06 PM

This is the classic case of "democracy vs. stability". And as usual the US government talks a good game about the former but at the end of the day is motivated by the latter.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 6, 2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
This is the classic case of "democracy vs. stability". And as usual the US government talks a good game about the former but at the end of the day is motivated by the latter.

OAW
...and apparently completely ignores the results of their prior meddling.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...and apparently completely ignores the results of their prior meddling.
Indeed.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 14, 2013, 10:11 AM

Things just got real ugly today.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2013, 12:37 PM

Which was totally predictable. Egypt is a deeply divided country and with the military taking sides it's only exacerbated the problem. The takeover might have gone over better if a military council ruled directly rather than installing an interim government comprised of the opposition that lost the election.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 14, 2013, 12:42 PM

I dunno, I feel like violence against MB supporters was always in the cards. I think they want to demonstrate that they will not be tolerated in any capacity.

I heard VP resigned not seen the reason why yet.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2013, 12:24 PM

The Copts are being scapegoated and many churches are being attacked, some being burned to the ground. For the first time in 1600 years prayer/Mass was not held in Mynya.

Minya churches cancel second mass for first time in 1,600 years | Egypt Independent
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 10:02 AM

I have no idea why they would do it now (Instead of when this thread was started) but the US is suspending aid to Egypt. Ok.

Forum Links
Forum Rules