Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Pile of Shame

Pile of Shame
ibook_steve
Jan 3, 2014, 04:14 PM

I just saw this article:

We're Buying More PC Games Than We Can Play

Currently, I have 203 games on Steam (Mac and PC) and I've probably played only 10 or 20% of them (thanks Steam sales and Humble Bundles!). I also have a bunch of old classics (that I played way back when) on GOG, not to mention my console backlogs.

Who has the most impressive (or should that be depressing) pile of shame?

Steve
( Last edited by ibook_steve; Jan 3, 2014 at 05:28 PM. )
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 3, 2014, 05:10 PM

I will refrain from cataloging my pile of shame, as it dates back years.

Curse you, Steam sales.

P
Jan 3, 2014, 08:33 PM

I just (as in, 5 minutes ago) finished playing Gone Home after I picked it up in a Humble sale… and tried to add it to my Steam collection and got an error, because I didn't even remember that I already bought it and never installed it. I begun sorting my Steam games to hide the ones that are finished (right-click and select Set Category - I just added one called "Finished" and moved games over there, and then collapsed that category in the main list) but that just makes it more obvious how far behind I am. This makes games that I started but never finished - like Witcher 2 - even more impossible to get to.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Jan 3, 2014, 09:20 PM

I don't have a huge pile of games never played, but I think having Everquest still in the shrink wrap has to count for something. Perhaps I dodged a bullet there.

Everything I buy in a humble bundle basically becomes forget-ware, whether game or useful app, I forgot I bought it.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jan 6, 2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I just (as in, 5 minutes ago) finished playing Gone Home after I picked it up in a Humble sale… and tried to add it to my Steam collection and got an error, because I didn't even remember that I already bought it and never installed it. I begun sorting my Steam games to hide the ones that are finished (right-click and select Set Category - I just added one called "Finished" and moved games over there, and then collapsed that category in the main list) but that just makes it more obvious how far behind I am. This makes games that I started but never finished - like Witcher 2 - even more impossible to get to.
I just finished Gone Home as well. It was really good. I also have been playing Stanley Parable, but I have not idea if I've "finished" it or if I can ever finish it. People who've played this will know what I mean.

Steve

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2014, 04:56 PM

No pile of shame here, though I admit to getting BioShock 2 on sale a few years ago and then having zero interest in the game. I did play the multi some, though.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jan 6, 2014, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
No pile of shame here, though I admit to getting BioShock 2 on sale a few years ago and then having zero interest in the game. I did play the multi some, though.
None? Zip? Zero? You have absolutely no games (besides B2) that you own but haven't played or are not currently playing?

I tip my (virtual) hat to you!

Steve

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2014, 09:35 PM

I bought a bundle last year with Amnesia in it, I barely played that game and have long since forgotten the other games that came in it. Besides that I never buy something I don't intend to play immediately.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2014, 08:56 AM

Guilty as charged, Steam, Humble Bundle, GOG and PS+, many games downloaded and never even looked at. Although some of the Steam stuff has been downloaded from sales, knowing it won't run on the ye olde Macbook, but its there bought to play on its replacement.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
None? Zip? Zero? You have absolutely no games (besides B2) that you own but haven't played or are not currently playing?
Nope. My crime is the few games I bought and I didn't beat (Darksiders, GTA V)

Steve
I don't deserve it. I'm mostly focused on online multiplayer, so my game count naturally is low. I find it hard to motivate myself to buy single-player only games, such as BioShock Infinite.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jan 15, 2014, 04:17 PM

I'm the exact opposite: I still don't get the appeal of online multiplayer. Every since I routinely got my a** handed to me (by children, usually) back in the Quake III and Unreal Tournament days, I just don't find it fun.

I just wish I had some gamer friends who lived around me for some live local multiplayer.

Steve

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2014, 04:20 PM

I'm the exact opposite: I still don't get the appeal of online multiplayer. Every since I routinely got my a** handed to me (by children, usually) back in the Quake III and Unreal Tournament days, I just don't find it fun.
If I wasn't any good I wouldn't enjoy it either, I imagine. I'm deathly afraid of when I'll fall-off due to physical reasons, but the reality is most of my skill is in outsmarting players, rather than outplaying them.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2014, 05:39 PM

Steve
I don't play games on the PC/Mac any more and on the console, I'm similar to Dakar, although, I can't say I have zero games I haven't played.

My count is more like 1 or 2 games I haven't played. 1 game I didn't play was because I received it as a bundle with the machine and it's not my kind of game.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2014, 08:28 AM

193 games on my list, excluding my Wii games. And that only includes 'modern' games bought on Steam, Mac App store, Mac Games store, GOG and others.

Showly working my way through them, but this spreadsheet I am using to keep track of things really help me out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules