Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Concerning the Auto-dimming screen on FP iMac G4's...

Concerning the Auto-dimming screen on FP iMac G4's...
sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 02:21 AM

Is there any way to turn this off?

It's plain annoying. Nothing on the Sys Prefs nor even the Tinkertool app points to a way to turn the darned auto-dimming off. You know what I'm talking about -- the dimming of FP screen after a few minutes of inactivity... is this a hardware feature or an OSX software implementation?

I understand it's for energy conservation reasons and stuff but it really puts a damper on my beautiful marine aquarium screensaver (which I can stare at forever) among other things.

Any ideas?

Joost
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by sensorfreaky:
Is there any way to turn this off?

It's plain annoying. Nothing on the Sys Prefs nor even the Tinkertool app points to a way to turn the darned auto-dimming off. You know what I'm talking about -- the dimming of FP screen after a few minutes of inactivity... is this a hardware feature or an OSX software implementation?

I understand it's for energy conservation reasons and stuff but it really puts a damper on my beautiful marine aquarium screensaver (which I can stare at forever) among other things.

Any ideas?
I'm away from my Mac so I can't check, but I think the screen auto-dims after half the time you have set for screen sleep. So, if you've set screen sleep for half an hour, the screen will dim after 15 minutes.
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

Voltrage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 11:49 AM

i'm pretty sure the energy saver pane in the system preferences controls the display going to sleep.

sensorfreaky  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Voltrage:
i'm pretty sure the energy saver pane in the system preferences controls the display going to sleep.
I know that... I was talking about dimming not display sleep.

On the FP iMacs at least, the screen dims after a few minutes, prior to going to sleep and I wish I knew of a way to disable the dimming just like I can disable display sleeping. I don't know if this is a FP iMac thing or an OSX thing that happens on all Macs running OSX.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2002, 03:50 PM

If i remember corretly my Tibook had the option to choose if you wanted the screen to dim or "go black". This was a simple checkbox in the energy saver control panel?!
Could that be it?

Tom.

sensorfreaky  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by tomra:
If i remember corretly my Tibook had the option to choose if you wanted the screen to dim or "go black". This was a simple checkbox in the energy saver control panel?!
Could that be it?

Tom.
No such checkbox in osx unfortunately... maybe jaguar will?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Joost:

I'm away from my Mac so I can't check, but I think the screen auto-dims after half the time you have set for screen sleep. So, if you've set screen sleep for half an hour, the screen will dim after 15 minutes.
he's right, its 1/2 the time that you select for sleep, and thats for every mac not just the FP iMac

i'm pretty sure you can't turn that off, and i'm running Jaguar, and there is no option for that either sorry

sensorfreaky  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by solidage:

he's right, its 1/2 the time that you select for sleep, and thats for every mac not just the FP iMac

i'm pretty sure you can't turn that off, and i'm running Jaguar, and there is no option for that either sorry
Oh I see... but when I set the screen saver activation to "never", and what's 1/2 of never?

Anyhow, it still dims after a few minutes even when I set the display sleep to "never". Last I checked, a few minutes isn't 1/2 of "never"

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2002, 08:12 AM

The imac thing is annoying but at least it dims.

if I leave my g4 sitting no matter what, the screen won't go to sleep, no matter what setting.

There's another strange thing about my g4.

If I have the g4 plugged into power but turned OFF, the ports on the connected cinema display still stay on regardless. :'(

Oh well.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 11:17 AM

there has to be away to do it
I have never noticed it when going into an Apple Store, all the FP iMacs are as bright as always...

about how long of inactivity has to pass before it does it?

dazzla
Senior User
Aug 17, 2002, 11:47 AM

I'm sure the iMacs in the Apple store have the screen turn off set to "never".

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 02:39 AM

i don't know what to tell you
maybe the new FP iMacs are diff then every other Mac
but i JUST double checked on both my iBook and my Ti book...

setting the display to NEVER turn off resulted in the display staying bright, all the time

setting the display to turn off after 2 minutes resulted in it dimming after the first minute (1/2 the time)

i'm in 10.2 on both machines
i find it hard to believe that there is one machine that does this differently

Forum Links
Forum Rules