Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DVD trouble

DVD trouble
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 05:02 AM

Didn't know where to post this, so I'm trying the lounge... feel free to move if inappropriate...

I have a problem with DVD's on my computer!

Lately, all DVD's have started acting very strangely when I try to play them. Mostly, they work fine at first, but then after a few minutes, they start going weird... the hard drive will sound like it's working really hard and then stopping again, maybe twice a second or so, and the picture (and sometimes sound too) will do the same, kind of... like a scratched DVD... it kind of... comes in brief little "cuts" of �-1 second or so...

The odd thing is, it does the same thing if I copy the entire DVD to my hard drive and try playing it from there (I've tried with 5 DVD's so far)! I've tried the same DVD's on another computer, but there they seem to work fine.

It does this no matter which program I use to play the movie, but it doesn't do it with movie/video files that I've downloaded, both off the Internet and off p2p programs... it also has no problems playing normal CD's or mp3 CD's...

My computer is emulated with WindowBlinds, and I've tried closing but that and everything else I could while playing the movie, but that doesn't help.

Anybody know what could be causing this???

(P4 2.0, 512 RAM, WindowsXP, QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-081 DVD drive, tried in PowerDVD, WMP, VLC)

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 05:22 AM

Your DVD drive is hosed?
Aloha

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Your DVD drive is hosed?
My DVD drive is what? Hosed? *flashes big "I'm stupid" sign*

I just tried playing a DVD from another computer via network, and that was jerky too, although it looked fine when played on the other computer...

BTW, running DVD Region Free Lite...

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 05:44 AM

Heh.. it could have been jerky there simply because the video was being carried over a network, I mean networks can't handle THAT big a stream

Try borrowing the drive out of another machine to see if it is?
Aloha

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 06:04 AM

Heh.. it could have been jerky there simply because the video was being carried over a network, I mean networks can't handle THAT big a stream

Try borrowing the drive out of another machine to see if it is?
Read his post.

It does it from the hard drive too.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Read his post.

It does it from the hard drive too.
uh, and how do you think he got the video on to his hard drive in the first place?

-r.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
uh, and how do you think he got the video on to his hard drive in the first place?

-r.
One of the DVD's that I copied was copied from the DVD drive in another computer via network...

I suppose I can't really expect the network (400 Mbps) to play that high quality properly, but when copied, it shouldn't be an issue, should it?

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 06:40 AM

No, and in that case it might just be a very funky video codec. Codecs are the 'devices' which translate the code in your video/dvd video files into info the apps can use.
Aloha

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 07:08 AM

<MCSE advice>
Reinstall Windows.

That will be sixty dollars, please.
</MCSE advice>

-s*

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 08:20 AM

No, and in that case it might just be a very funky video codec. Codecs are the 'devices' which translate the code in your video/dvd video files into info the apps can use.
I guess it could be that... I s'pose that would explain why it's only DVD format movies (.ifo, .vob, etc.), right?

*sigh*

This sucks...

Forum Links
Forum Rules