Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I want a mac pro, but how much is my current setup worth?

I want a mac pro, but how much is my current setup worth?
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 03:06 AM

Alright, I have checked e-bay... I have checked online sellers of used macs... so I sadly come here to bore you with my dumb thread, but I would really like your help, I have two old macs that i want to sell, but I dont want to screw my unknowing buyers... this is so I can fund my mac pro purchase...

So any help would be greatly appreciated!

How much are these macs worth?
G4 sawtooth (origionally 400Mhz), now 1Ghz with sonnet upgrade
1Gb ram
60Gb HD
DVD-RW +DL drive
usb2.0 Pci card

I was thinking $350 would be fair, I have an interested co-worker, I dont want to screw him over though...

Second...

iBook 12" 600Mhz G3
384Mb ram
airport card
20gig HD

maybe $350?? This on my dad might buy from me, he was thinking of using it to dump the audio from his digital mixer onto... since it's quiet... if it's on the high end ($ wise) I think it's ok as he wants to help me with the mac pro, but I also dont want to take advantage of him, he is my dad after all!

if this is in the wrong place, I am sorry, please move it...

Thank You,
Zach

MacKeyser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 03:31 AM

I think $350 is a solid price. You can always find someone dumping stuff for next to nothing. Check out your local craigslist for pricing. I have found that the prices there are a pretty good determiner of what people will pay. Not that too many legacy Macs make it there, but you get the idea. That's a lot of machine for $350 dollars.

As for the laptop, I dunno how much audio crunching power that G3 is gonna have for your dad, but any laptop that can run OS X without choking is easily worth $350.

Now, if you wanted a grand for each item, then I'd say you were reaching. But $350? That sounds good for either...

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 04:28 AM

wow, first post you used on my thread... thanks, I never thought to check craigslist...

I just dont want to screw over my dad or my co-worker... my dad is going to try it out and see if it works, otherwise I will post it on CL...

Zach

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 04:43 AM

so looks like I could easily ask $400 for the desktop, with the 1Ghz upgrade being the main reason, and the other items helping...

I could not find any 600mhz ibooks for sale in the denver CL listing...

Sweet, I should have checked there in the first place...

Zach

devmage
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 10:56 AM

While we are on the subject I have a Mac Pro on order and I was going to sell my old G5 to my friend, was interested in how much I should charge him. I have a guestimate based on ebay.

Rev a Dual 2Ghz G5
2.5GB RAM
GF6800 GT
160GB HD

Thanks,

Devmage

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

$350 is way to much for a 600MHz G3, I would say $200.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2006, 01:32 PM

$200 with an AirPort card? You're out of your mind.

$300~ is very reasonable.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 01:50 PM

There was just a guy in the iBook forum who bought one with an Airport card for $192 on ebay.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2006, 02:01 PM

Good for him, he got a good deal. Doesn't mean phantom has to sell his for that price though. Especially when he could get almost $100 for the AirPort card on its own.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:31 AM

I am (probably) selling it (my laptop) to my dad too... who actually bought me my current desktop.. 7 or so years ago... so if he wants to help me out, just a little... that is cool with me... I want to pay for most of the mac pro, I have never bought anything that expensive before...

I will definitely tell my dad that it's only worth about $300... I dont want to screw over my parents, they raised me, and took care of me!

Zach

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 09:08 PM

Okay me too please - kinda wondering if any of these updates will add any value?

Power Mac G4 (sawtooth)
• 1Ghz (upgraded)
• 2GB RAM
• Radeon 9800 pro - 128MB, DVI, VGA w/ Video out (+ zalman cooling)
• Intel Pro Gigabit Network card
• USB2
• Bluetooth
• 300W Zalman PSU PSU->[adapter]->MB
• Combo Drive
• 2 40GB HDDs
• Tiger

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 10:07 PM

$450 seems like a good price for yours.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 11:30 PM

Since we're asking, how much for this config?:

MDD dual 1ghz g4
768mb RAM
2 x 80 gig hard drive
6 USB 2.0 ports
Superdrive
GeForce 4ti
17" cinema display

Thanks

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2006, 11:41 PM

$800-900, selling the display separately.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 12:38 AM

I would say $850 at the most, you can get a single 1.6 G5 for $900.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2006, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Phrogman
Since we're asking, how much for this config?:

MDD dual 1ghz g4
768mb RAM
2 x 80 gig hard drive
6 USB 2.0 ports
Superdrive
GeForce 4ti
17" cinema display

Thanks

I have debated selling the display seperately....what do you think would be better, a package deal or listing the display separately???

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Phrogman
I have debated selling the display seperately....what do you think would be better, a package deal or listing the display separately???
If you list in a classified, I would mention that you are willing to separate them. On EBay, I would just sell them separately. They will both sell, methinks.

I use EBay completed listing to find my prices. You have to have an account to use it, but it is a valuable tool. Sometimes people on craigslist want too much or not enough for their stuff. On EBay, things go for a relatively small range of prices, if they actually sell, which they usually do if you are good about taking alot of pics and giving a detailed description. Also, you might include an XBench score in your description. There are alot of benchmarks on their website, so you should be able to find out how well the stock version of your computer performs, then you can talk about how many percent faster yours is. It is often hard to tell how much an upgraded G4 is worth, and that will help them tell.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 09:20 PM

Some good prices here so far !

However, for those of you who are asking for price recommendations on older machines, please remember one thing:

Regardless of how much you spent on the upgrades, underneath it all, they are still OLD machines, and NO upgrade will ever change that

Not to say that those machines dont still have many useful years left in them, but they are what they are......and if your initial asking price approaches 50% of the price of a faster/newer/more up to date machine, it's already a tad high
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

milhouse
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by devmage
While we are on the subject I have a Mac Pro on order and I was going to sell my old G5 to my friend, was interested in how much I should charge him. I have a guestimate based on ebay.

Rev a Dual 2Ghz G5
2.5GB RAM
GF6800 GT
160GB HD

Thanks,

Devmage
Howdy,

For a frame of reference, I just sold my 1.8 DP G5 w/3GB RAM, 256MB Radeon9800Pro, 300GB HD for 1,000. The machine is in great shape inside and out.

It was a good price for buyers and I had nearly a dozen serious inquiries within a day of listing it on Craigslist and another forum (Beware the Nigerian Scammers on Craigslist, they abound) . If you price it a bit on the low side, it will sell quicker; price it higher and your risk waiting and/or missing out on potential sales.

I'd guess between $1200 - $1500 would be a "decent" price. Much above that and you are beginning to compete with newer refurbs. Of course people often pay waaaay more than they should for a package; eBay being well known for this.

I try to price things about where I wouldnt' mind paying.

Good luck with the sale.
"-Dodge This"

Forum Links
Forum Rules