Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Prince

RIP Prince
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 01:30 PM

I can't believe this, but Prince has died.

I don't know how exactly, but he had a bad flu for some time. He was 57, which is way too young.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
Apr 21, 2016, 01:48 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 01:58 PM

Prince is one of may all-time favorite musicians. "Genius" doesn't even come close to describing his talent. RIP.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 02:06 PM

WTF? NO!! Dammit, I'm hating 2016.

RIP SMF
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 02:24 PM

yeah guys, this is depressing...

he was so talented and unique - he wasn't afraid to reinvent himself or do what he pleased. He was a genius, definitely up there with Jimi Hendrix.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 02:49 PM

One of the last bona-fide ****ing geniuses in pop music.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Apr 21, 2016, 04:22 PM

The guy was like a soundtrack for the eighties, so as such, weighs heavily on what music I remember from the time.

I really don't want this to be a Henson/Jobs like situation, where he was too stubborn to get good medical care for whatever the reason, but I suspect it is.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 04:37 PM

Prince was a Jehovah Witness, not sure if they're against medical treatment or not.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2016, 05:26 PM

I know Jehovah's Witnesses are against blood transfusions but I'm not aware of any prohibition against medical care across the board. He's been battling the flu for several weeks. A few days ago his private jet had to make an emergency landing and he was rushed to the ER. Afterwards he was treated and released. Now today he was found unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park home/studio. I couldn't begin to explain how much I have been and will continue to be a fan of his music. Today just sucks all around.

OAW

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2016, 01:58 AM

I. Can't.

There's almost none of my heroes left anymore.

Thorzdad
Apr 22, 2016, 01:12 PM

I was in the air most of yesterday and only found out about Prince late last night, CA time. Hit me like a ton of bricks. I think this hit me a little closer to home than Bowie, because Prince is my age.

2016 sucks. so. hard.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Prince was a Jehovah Witness, not sure if they're against medical treatment or not.
For the record, I read that Prince was a Jehovah Witness but later became a Christian. Not sure if true or not but that's what the article I read said.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 11:36 AM

Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of numerous Christian sects.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2016, 04:10 PM

That's wrong?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 05:31 PM

OAW
They aren't. JW's are a mix of Unitarianism and Arianism. They have their own (bad) translation of the Bible (NWT) They believe Jesus is actually Saint Michael the Archangel and do not aknowledge the Holy Spirit.

What can you tell me about the New World Translation? | Catholic Answers

The God of the Jehovah's Witnesses | Catholic Answers

Don't all Christian churches believe the same thing about Christ? | Catholic Answers
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 05:58 PM

It's a form of nontrinitarian, new age, pseudo-gnosticism (neo-gnostic Arianism), certainly not a denomination (or "sect") of Christianity. An important part of being Christian is believing that Jesus was wholly man and God, and they don't. It's pretty simple. Look at the Nicene Creed (First Council of Constantinople, 381CE) and compare it to a church's beliefs. If they don't line up, they aren't Christian.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 06:45 PM

It hasn't been a week and here they come. TMZ basicly started it and the Mail has hopped on.
Prince’s former drug dealer reveals extent of his addiction | Daily Mail Online
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
It's a form of nontrinitarian, new age, pseudo-gnosticism (neo-gnostic Arianism), certainly not a denomination (or "sect") of Christianity. An important part of being Christian is believing that Jesus was wholly man and God, and they don't. It's pretty simple. Look at the Nicene Creed (First Council of Constantinople, 381CE) and compare it to a church's beliefs. If they don't line up, they aren't Christian.
Says who? JW's wouldn't be the only Christian sect that rejects the divinity of Christ on theological grounds. Between the two of us we don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of English versions of the Bible alone. Let alone the number of Christian sects/denominations. The reason so many different sects exist is because human beings don't agree on biblical interpretation and doctrine. There are evangelicals who swear on a stack of bibles that Catholics aren't even "Christian". Silly I know but it's true. So citing the Nicene Creed means very little to anyone who doesn't ascribe to the doctrine of that particular denomination. And anytime one is dealing in an area that is fundamentally rooted in FAITH there's very little by way of "objective standards" to sort out what defines Christianity.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 08:35 PM

The way I understand it, he likely died of acetaminophen poisoning. He was acutely addicted to opiates, Dilaudid and Fentanyl, and had been for decades (he was self-medicated and taking many times more than any person could ever need for pain relief). Ironically, opiates rarely kill addicts, it's the shit (large quantities of Tylenol) that drug companies put in them (to try and curb addiction) that does.

Something must have happened that restricted Prince's access to his opiates of choice, Dilaudid and Fentanyl, and led to him taking Percocet (oxycodone w/ acetaminophen), likely from multiple prescriptions from different doctors. However, since those are much, much weaker than what he normally took, he took massive quantities (word is >400mg /day, which is 13,000mg of acetaminophen) and rapidly destroyed his liver and kidneys.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2016, 08:40 PM

Says who?
Says Christianity. I didn't write the definition regarding who is or isn't a Christian, I just know it. Sure, they can call themselves whatever they like, it's no skin off my back, but objectively, according to firmly established doctrine, they aren't. It's not a big deal, they aren't Christian, there's lots of churches that aren't, and those people are just fine believing what they want.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 01:33 AM

This is very interesting from a technical and comparative religion standpoint, but as a practical concern, the only way I'm going to start splitting that hair was if I became Christian.

If your religion is Christ-centric, and it's lasted a few generations past the death of its founder (thus differentiating it from a cult), that's close enough for me.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 25, 2016 at 02:01 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 02:39 AM

It isn't Christ-centric. Christ, as his identity is taught in the established church doctrine, what makes him Christ, doesn't exist.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 03:20 AM

You've totally got me outranked in the comparative religion department, so be gentle.

Doesn't "Christ" mean "messiah"?

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 08:59 AM

The way I understand it, he likely died of acetaminophen poisoning. He was acutely addicted to opiates, Dilaudid and Fentanyl, and had been for decades (he was self-medicated and taking many times more than any person could ever need for pain relief). Ironically, opiates rarely kill addicts, it's the shit (large quantities of Tylenol) that drug companies put in them (to try and curb addiction) that does.

Something must have happened that restricted Prince's access to his opiates of choice, Dilaudid and Fentanyl, and led to him taking Percocet (oxycodone w/ acetaminophen), likely from multiple prescriptions from different doctors. However, since those are much, much weaker than what he normally took, he took massive quantities (word is >400mg /day, which is 13,000mg of acetaminophen) and rapidly destroyed his liver and kidneys.
quite sad if all true. What ever happened to good 'ole fashioned drunks & heroin addicts?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
quite sad if all true. What ever happened to good 'ole fashioned drunks & heroin addicts?
Nancy Reagan ruined that scene and got them all hooked on prescription drugs instead.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You've totally got me outranked in the comparative religion department, so be gentle.

Doesn't "Christ" mean "messiah"?
In the modern vernacular, it's what secular society has watered "Christ" down to.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2016, 11:07 AM

So if a person's beliefs line up with the teaches of Jesus and his disciples instead of the Council of Nicea three centuries later, they're not Christian?

I'm not saying this in regard to the Jehovah's Witnesses, BTW.

[EDIT] This is probably a topic for another thread. Back to Prince: he's dead, it sucks.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
So if a person's beliefs line up with the teaches of Jesus and his disciples instead of the Council of Nicea three centuries later, they're not Christian?

I'm not saying this in regard to the Jehovah's Witnesses, BTW.
Being Christian is a combination of Church and Christ, "you can not have just one or the house will fall".

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 11:33 AM

In the modern vernacular, it's what secular society has watered "Christ" down to.
No... I mean, "christ" is Greek for "messiah".

P
Apr 25, 2016, 11:46 AM

Yes, let's go dive into the history of early Christianity in a Prince RIP thread, won't this be fun...

Early on, various branches of Christianity had differing views on the nature of Christ. The one that you mention above is called dyophysitism and is the one both Catholics, Protestants and Greek Orthodox, as well as most other Christians, agree on. There are significant minorities that believe otherwise - Wikipedia claims that there are 84 million people in that group (miaphysites, e.g. Copts and others), and recent statements by the Pope in response to atrocities in the Middle East against various Oriental Orthodox minorities indicate that at least he considers them Christian. I don't know how the Holy See views Jehova's witnesses, but I don't think disagreements about christology is enough to disqualify them.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 11:51 AM

harrumph! harrumph!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 11:53 AM

I have a feeling there may be an agenda involved, but I've never heard the Copts called anything other than "Christian".

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 12:01 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 02:17 PM

Remember when this thread was about Prince?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 03:23 PM

Somehow, I don't think Prince would've been too upset.

like this nice little tidbit stolen from Chongo's post of another thread:

"On one occasion Prince knocked on a door in a middle class suburb of Minneapolis. A woman answered and stared at the instantly recognizable singer, easily the Twin Cities’ biggest celebrity, Lundstrom recalled. “In the middle of Prince’s very nice Bible presentation, the woman says, ‘Excuse me, but has anyone told you that you look a lot like Prince?’ He looks at her and says, ‘It's been said.’ Then goes back to his presentation. When the woman asked Prince for his name, Prince said, ‘Rogers Nelson,’” his middle and last name."

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Yes, let's go dive into the history of early Christianity in a Prince RIP thread, won't this be fun...
Don't single me out, I didn't even bring it up.

P
Apr 25, 2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have a feeling there may be an agenda involved, but I've never heard the Copts called anything other than "Christian".
That last was sort of my point.

What do you mean, agenda? All I know about religion I learned from playing Crusader Kings II.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2016, 05:35 PM

Answering in other thread

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2016, 12:18 PM

Say what you will about the National Enquirer, they do open themselves for a major lawsuit if this is wrong.
Prince — His Agonizing Final Days After AIDS Diagnosis | National Enquirer
45/47

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2016, 01:13 PM

Guess we'll have to wait for the autopsy results.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I was in the air most of yesterday and only found out about Prince late last night, CA time. Hit me like a ton of bricks. I think this hit me a little closer to home than Bowie, because Prince is my age.

2016 sucks. so. hard.
I just got caught up here on 'NN, and I had to chime in on this. Prince was MY age too. And it has hit me very hard. So many of the greatest, most innovative performers are gone this year... I have to say that in many ways this year sucks more than most. Right up there with the year my dad died. It's rough.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2016, 08:54 PM

It's frustrating seeing all the ignorance surrounding this, news outlets claiming the opiates killed him. He'd still be alive today if they'd stop loading them up with so much Tylenol (acetaminophen), in large quantities it's more dangerous than heroin.

P
Apr 29, 2016, 07:58 AM

It's frustrating seeing all the ignorance surrounding this, news outlets claiming the opiates killed him. He'd still be alive today if they'd stop loading them up with so much Tylenol (acetaminophen), in large quantities it's more dangerous than heroin.
For someone who has built up a tolerance to heroin, yes. For the rest of us, not so much.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
For someone who has built up a tolerance to heroin, yes. For the rest of us, not so much.
No, anyone.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2016, 10:42 AM

I'll clarify. 98% of the time, what kills people in a heroin OD isn't the heroin, even in huge doses, it's what it's cut with. Tylenol, in excess of 4000mg, is toxic, usually in less than a month (sometimes in a matter of days), Prince was taking >4x that amount, and had been for nearly 4 months.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2016, 10:45 AM

If you're going to pop them like candy, isn't Aleve (naproxen salts) generally considered the way to go?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2016, 10:52 AM

It's a lot better than any other OTG pain reliever, though you can quickly build a tolerance to those, if taken in excess.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2016, 11:22 AM

And burn a hole in the tummy... but FWIU generally won't kill you, which is nice.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2016, 07:17 PM

I guess we should spin-off this thread into "Fantastic drugs and how to use them"?

Are we going to talk about Prince at all?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules