Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Anyone else done this?

Anyone else done this?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 04:24 PM

I plan to go to school for an accounting or bussiness degree. But was also wanting to take graphic design classes because I liked the photography/graphics class I took in high school.

So I guess I am wondering if anyone else has gone to school for a bussiness (or other) degree and also a graphic design minor degree(or a minor in photography or art)?
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 05:11 PM

i'm going to level with you...

either you do it or you don't. period. many, many, many people think this is a 'fun' career. that's complete b.s. it's work, and danm hard work at that.

my advice to you is to look long and hard at what you want in your career. if you want to be a photographer, designer, art director, etc. great, then go for it. if you just want to exercise your creative side go to a community college for some photo classes or something. leave the real education in these areas to the people dedicated to the craft.

i don't mean to sound harsh, just honest.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
i'm going to level with you...

either you do it or you don't. period. many, many, many people think this is a 'fun' career. that's complete b.s. it's work, and danm hard work at that.

my advice to you is to look long and hard at what you want in your career. if you want to be a photographer, designer, art director, etc. great, then go for it. if you just want to exercise your creative side go to a community college for some photo classes or something. leave the real education in these areas to the people dedicated to the craft.

i don't mean to sound harsh, just honest.

IMHO, majoring in graphic design with a minor in business/accounting would make better sense.

W2

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 05:34 PM

W2:

There you go with the good, sound advice again.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the honest advice. I will probably just take the basic photography class and see what else they have.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
W2:

There you go with the good, sound advice again.
I must be on a roll, A-D

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 12:29 AM

IMHO, take EVERYTHING in college... one class at a time. If you want to focus on business... focus on a business degree. If you want a dual major... go for a dual major... do what YOU want to do... and do it well. Take a photograph class.... take whatever you want to take... just stick to a plan...

Going to college with a solid plan is a great idea. Going to collage with a plan set in stone is a mistake. You may find that business isn't for you. You may find photography and graphic design are also not for you. Try some stuff out... talk to your professors, join a club, START a club. Enjoy yourself and explore... learn what you want to learn. YOU GET FOUR YEARS... don't waste them.

<<steps away from soapbox>>

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 02:17 AM

thats much better advice - if you are going to college then you should try anything you are interested in - school doesn't always give you the right perspective on the rest of your life so experiment. Certainly don't let art director's advice scare you off. - he may say that becuase he'e concerned about 'hobby' designers' bad work and muddying the proffession but there is also something to be said for the 'well educated gentlemen' who can appreciate the arts because he studied it.
ππ>_<ππ

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 08:50 AM

I'm kinda with art_director on this. "All or none" is good advice.

At most schools you will soon discover that the beginning GRD and Typography courses are much, much more involved than you probably realize. Those two classes alone will keep you as busy or busier than just about any class you will take or have taken. For an example, in my Typography 1 course a while ago, it was quite common to have between 15-40 hours of homework (Projects) every week. Our final project was to create our own typeface which was to rendered entirely by hand. (In fact both of these classes focus on hand rendering.) It took 40+ hours from start to finish.

I'm just hoping you didn't think taking a few graphic design classes meant learning photoshop.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 10:06 AM

Any design and photo program worth its salt will require weed out courses to keep the faint of heart or those looking to find there inner-creatives away from the students intent on getting into the business. While I agree that students should find their path by taking a variety of classes you can't expect the great photo classes to be available to the general student population. That's like saying, I like to cut stuff open so I want some surgeon lab coursework.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 10:08 AM

When I was in college nothing ruined a class faster than some rich kid who thought it was cool to be in art school. Such students didn't take critiques seriously and almost never were prepared for class. That's the sort of thing I'm harping on. This is a serious business and the education should be seen as such.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the opinions. I'll probably take some classes in the fall and see how it goes. If the classes are too much, then I will stick to doing it as a hobby.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 06:29 PM

Not trying to discourage you, just want you to be realistic. If you want to be a photographer go for it.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2006, 01:55 PM

Yea I understand what you were saying. And I still plan to have Int'l Business and Accounting as my majors. But am going to take a photography class to learn better techniques, and I might as well take something I like for my electives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules