Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5/1.6 Won't Boot From 10.5 DVD

G5/1.6 Won't Boot From 10.5 DVD
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 09:54 PM

My G5 isn't booting from my 10.5 DVD that I just bought. It boots fine off the 10.4 DVD and likewise, my Macbook boots fine off of both.

The drive will spin up, then make a few odd sounds like it's having trouble reading the DVD; even mounting it is slower than a DVD should take; maybe because it's a dual-layer disc?

Anyone coming across the same problem?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 01:29 PM

Nah Dual Layer Doesnt matter, DVD movies are Dual Layer. The only thing I can think of is if you have access to another (newer) DVD drive try that. Do you have 10.4 running now? If so put in the Leopard DVD and it should mount and ask you to restart to install. Is it an upgrade disk?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 07:40 PM

Does it make any difference if you option-boot? Or select in startup disk? Or hit the install button from the Leopard installer app on the DVD?
If you have a firewire drive, you can make a disk image of the DVD and restore it to the FW drive. Then boot from FW and see what happens.
You could also put the DVD in your MacBook, boot that into FW mode, then hook it to the G5 and see if you can boot from it that way.

So many ways to skin this particular cat.......
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules