Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > VoiP ADSL Router ?

VoiP ADSL Router ?
porrid
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2008, 11:26 PM

Is there such an animal as a VOiP ADSL Router Modem
as opposed to an ordinary ADSL Router Modem ?

tridentinecanon
Mar 21, 2008, 03:21 PM

Who is your internet phone provider?

The answer to your question is yes, but that may not be your best setup.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 21, 2008, 07:10 PM

Tridentinecanon may or may not be right-though I think he is. The issue is that you're most likely in the UK (am I right?) and both he and I are in the States; things work a bit different over here from the way they work in the UK. In the U.S. and Canada, ISPs generally provide a modem (JUST a modem) for DSL and the user is theoretically expected to make do with a single computer connection, even though most of us wind up with a router too. There are few boxes over here that are both modem and router, while that's the norm as I understand it in the UK. That's the complicating part: I have no experience with what is or isn't available in the UK market...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cms
Senior User
Mar 22, 2008, 11:25 AM

If, as Glenn suggests, the OP is in the UK, then he/she might like to take a look at the following to see what options are available to him/her here: clicky

For what it's worth, I have some (largely favourable) experience of Draytek kit, and note that it comes out ahead in the comparison tests described in the link above.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2008, 02:38 AM

Thanks all, for your hearty feedbacks people.

TPG (TexasPacificGroup) although in Oz may pinnacle from the US, refers new users to purchase their VoiP router if selecting Voip Plan. I think VoiP has been around for 5 or more years, inwhich I never heard of this type of modem before ?

Theoretically won't any ADSL 2+ Router and or Modem be sufficient for VoiP ?

Why would the devices require a dedicated chip, as they say about their VoiP modem router. ?

I've always wondered how much bandwidth Voip users chew up out of their bandwidth allocations, and how can users observe this, alternatively do they need to ?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 02:44 AM

I don't think any special router is required. It's just that VOIP routers prioritize VOIP traffic better than regular ones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tridentinecanon
Mar 24, 2008, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by porrid View Post
Theoretically won't any ADSL 2+ Router and or Modem be sufficient for VoiP ?
Yes, but the best routers and the best modems generally don't come in one package. You may actually be investing in a better (albeit more expensive) setup by separating the two.

I have Moto modem -> Apple TC -> Vonage V-Portal.

Although this works as an excellent static-free setup for me, it may not be the best for you, depending on your (home?-)networking goals.

I would start by calling:

a) Your ISP, and asking them if they will support the modem/router(s) you are looking at;

2) Your VOIP provider (sounds like its you ISP as well), and ask them essentially the same question except about the VOIP router(s).

I'm not going to tell you that a modem and/or router will work if your service provider(s) have some weird policy that will render a new device useless.

Why would the devices require a dedicated chip, as they say about their VoiP modem router. ?
I'm not exactly sure what "they" mean here, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they don't ("require a dedicated chip"). All VOIP companies (that I know of) push a new router on their customers when they sign up for the plan. (It's kindof like getting a new cell phone plan.) Also, all VOIP services basically work the same way once you get it to your cable/DSL line. The trick is packaging up the data and getting it to the internet as quickly as possible, because it's going to experience enough delays already bouncing around in cyberspace. "They" may be referring to the advantages they see in a router designed to package the data a certain way with a certain chip, but I would ignore this because it sounds like nothing more than a sales pitch. What you want in a VOIP router is one that is easily configurable (we're talking one that has a slick, powerful, and easy-to-use setup utility) and serves your purposes in terms of how you place/setup devices in your home (i.e. where you put your phone in relation to your modem, etc.)

I've always wondered how much bandwidth Voip users chew up out of their bandwidth allocations, and how can users observe this, alternatively do they need to ?
You don't need to observe this. It is noticeable when it happens, but it rarely does. It is noticed primarily when the connection is already slow due to external problems (like when the whole neighborhood slows down because the local cable guy is fiddling with the lines because some joker ordered the sports package because they just couldn't miss the Final Four in HD this year).

Forum Links
Forum Rules