Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can parts for Powerbooks take a long time through Applecare?

Can parts for Powerbooks take a long time through Applecare?
spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2008, 08:41 PM

Hey everyone...

My PB 1.67 17" is in for service for a display problem (intermittent flickering green pixels). The status online shows that the repair is on hold - part ordered (I am assuming it is the logic board).

Is this often a process that takes weeks? Or just days?

Thanks!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 06:50 PM

Hmmm - no comments?

Still on hold here...

What would some of you consider unreasonable (perhaps justifying a request for outright replacement)? Just wondering!

Thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 03:38 AM

I'm afraid Apple won't give you a replacement just because a part is taking 2 weeks to get to their repair facility. The wait definitely sucks but it does happen and Apple usually doesn't budge much when it comes to these supply issues. If you're lucky you can get an AppleStore coupon.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Is this often a process that takes weeks? Or just days?
Yes. And yes.

Parts for ANYTHING can take any amount of time depending upon whether they're backlogged, stocked, how capacities are free, where the nearest stock is, whether the service fixing up previously replaced parts for those cases where Apple supplies refurbs for repairs is battered by a flu wave, chip supply constrained due to a fire at some factory warehouse, etc. - any number of things can and do happen.

I've seen everything from next-day delivery to eight weeks wait (in the case of sudden-shutdown-MacBook MLB replacement: They weren't making enough logic boards to satisfy customer demand for NEW machines at the time, let alone repairs).

And no, Apple does not owe you anything in compensation for downtime. If it's absolutely vital, it's your own responsibility to make sure you have a back-up solution.

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2008, 06:40 PM

Who has heard of Pro-Care, its just $99 a year, you can register it on up to 3 apple computers no matter how old, and you get put on the top of the "To Do" list to get fixed, they will take it in to the back and try to fix it, and it takes about half-a-week to get fixed if you have to send it in, mainly the time is shipping. AND you get automatic service at the Genius Bar

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2008, 06:53 PM

Pro-care? Where is that available, never seen it on the apple store :S
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

spiff72  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2008, 09:24 PM

I have sent it in 3 times before, and each time they turned it around in less than 5 business days.

I asked twice when I dropped it at the apple store, and they repeatedly said service takes 3-5 business days. I figured I could live without it that long, but now we have reached 10 business days. By the time I get it back, my warranty will be expired. Do they warrant their work for any period of time (in other words, if it comes back showing the same issue, am I screwed)?

Thanks again!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2008, 06:37 AM

I don't know how it is in the U.S., but here in Euroland, repairs and replacement parts are warrantied (six months, I believe, but don't nail me down on that). This warranty does *not* extend the warranty for the entire device, though.

cms
Senior User
Mar 29, 2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I don't know how it is in the U.S., but here in Euroland, repairs and replacement parts are warrantied (six months, I believe, but don't nail me down on that). This warranty does *not* extend the warranty for the entire device, though.
Slightly off-topic, I know, but useful I think to set the record straight:

Don't know where in "Euroland" you are, analogika, but here in the UK repairs carried out by Apple Certified Repair Centres carry warranties of 90 days only for parts and labour. And as you so rightly point out, this has no bearing at all on any existing AppleCare on the machine. So as far as the OP is concerned, if he lived in the UK, and his AppleCare expired while the computer was "in the shop", that repair would only be under warranty for 3 months from the date of completion of the repair.

This strikes me as rather mean. Particularly since over here, Apple recycles "refurbished" parts for repairs. Meaning that the replacement part is often knackered before it even gets anywhere near your computer. I had a client once whose iBook logic board failed under warranty and our local Apple repair centre had to order in and return a total of 3 replacement parts before they could put one in that actually worked......! This might be one explanation as to why it's taking so long for the repair to be done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules