Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Upgrading BootCamp Partition to Windows 7

Upgrading BootCamp Partition to Windows 7
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2009, 01:55 PM

I was considering upgrading my BootCamp partition to Windows 7 when I saw the student discount for the upgrade of $29. My partition only has 11GB of free space. And I noticed on the Windows website it needs 15GB of free space.

Will it delete the old version of Windows which is XP?
Or does Windows actually need this much more space?
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2009, 02:35 PM

If you install Win7 without any fancy dodges, it WILL delete the old XP install. And there are structural improvements in 7 that probably require more space than XP does, so I'd say that 15GB is a valid requirement. There IS a way to change the size of your partitions non-destructively, but I don't have the instructions at hand at the moment. Suffice to say it's non-trivial, but not hugely challenging.

Are you at Lamar? Do they have a campus-level licensing agreement?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pknoot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2009, 03:26 PM

Please keep in mind that there is no direct upgrade from XP to 7. You will need to do a clean install. While Win 7 needs about 16GB, I'm assuming you would like to install some programs as well. I allotted 50GB on my MBP Win 7 partition and managed to fill it up quickly!

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2009, 04:24 PM

The Win7 installer should offer to install OVER an existing XP installation (maybe by just telling you that there's an NTFS partition there with something already on it). That sort of overlooks the fact that it doesn't necessarily tell you that it's going to wipe out your existing installation-and what I meant about "fancy dodges." You'd need to clone or back up the partition if you wanted to keep it for something, or just your data if that's all you need to keep.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2009, 06:19 AM

Yes, I'm at Lamar. Don't know about the licensing agreement. But one of my professors was talking about the upgrade coming out today or soon. And then told us to google "windows 7 upgrade student discount." And the first link brings you to the site and you give them your school email and they email you the link.
( Last edited by JMan09; Oct 27, 2009 at 12:55 AM. )

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2009, 12:55 AM

I've thought about it some more and since I am running low on hard drive space (about 40GB left), I am thinking about upgrading my internal drive to atleast 320GB. It will give me plenty of room for future Mac stuff and room to make a bigger Windows partition.
When I put that new hard drive in can I use my Time Capsule to move my Mac stuff over?
And for the Windows Bootcamp partition, should I do a fresh install of XP then upgrade to 7?
or Is it possible to move that partition to a bigger one on the new hard drive?

Forum Links
Forum Rules