Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone home button problem

iPhone home button problem
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2011, 06:06 AM

My iPhone is about a year old now (I've got Applecare now so warranty is ok). Recently the home button has to be pressed repeatedly and/or really hard to make it work. I've just compared it to another iPhone, and that one was fine and was much better than mine. So what is the likely outcome of going to an Apple Store with this and saying 'the home button has to be pressed really hard to make it work'? It is getting worse over time.

Nothing they can do? They can fix it? Here you are sir have a new phone?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2011, 06:37 AM

I experienced this exact problem with the original 3GS I purchased off eBay. It got harder and harder to activate the button until it failed completely. Got a new 3GS to replace it under Apple Care.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cms
Senior User
Jul 12, 2011, 08:06 AM

I had two with the exact same problem replaced here in the UK less than a month before the initial 12-month warranty expired.Took them to the local Apple Store and when I explained the problem they didn't even check them. Just said: "No problem. Here's a new one." I was VERY pleased, as you might imagine. A great example of Apple honouring its warranty without any argument and being really pleasant about it.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 01:38 PM

my almost 3 years old iPhone 3G started doing this this month. i have to press it really hard for it to work. Also, 50% of the time, it will lead me to the iPod app instead of Home (not the iPod pop-up, the real iPod app).

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2011, 09:50 AM

Been to Apple Store in Manchester today after booking in to the Genius Bar.

Me: "The button needs a really hard push to work" (Opened Clock, tried and failed to get back to home screen, handed it over)
Much pressing of things and typing into the MBP at the desk. "We'll replace the handset"
Signed paperwork, job done.

I am now restoring backup to a new iPhone .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules