Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Reformat and upgrade to Lion?

Reformat and upgrade to Lion?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2011, 12:34 PM

I want to reformat my hard drive and upgrade to Lion. I have the laptop in my sig. I plan to get a new MacBook Pro in January when more funds are available. Or February if they keep the yearly updates going.

Should I reformat the drive and reinstall Snow Leopard, then upgrade to Lion, and then migrate my information from my Time Capsule backup?
or Should I reformat, migrate information from TC and then upgrade to Lion?

Also for some reason when I try to play movie trailers from the Apple start page, they only play the sound and the box where the video should be remains black. But a few months ago the movie trailers wouldn't do anything and would display a pop up that said they weren't able to be viewed on this machine... (don't really remember the message and didn't take a screen shot).
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2011, 10:17 PM

Well I ended up reformatting my Hard Drive then reinstalling Snow Leopard and did the upgrade through the Mac App Store to get Lion.
Now in the process of having Migration Assistant recognize the Time Capsule to move everything back over.
200GB should be a fun wait.. Before I get that MBP in January I think I will have all my music and movies and TV shows on an external drive instead of on the MBP Hard Drive. So it shouldn't be as bad then.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2011, 08:04 PM

For anyone reading and wanting to know if I was able to view Movie Trailers on the Safari Start Page.

I was able to figure it out today. Some reason it popped in my head to check and see what Safari extension I had installed. I had an ad blocker, and two different DivX extensions. I went and disabled all three extension and the Trailers played. Then I tried with two on... One of the DivX extensions were messing up the video playback, don't remember what the the name was exactly since I already uninstalled and deleted it before I remembered this thread. The one that I still use besides the ad blocker, is DivX HIQ and hasn't had anymore problems yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules